What should I do?

ParkersMom

Jan 18, 2013
Nashville TN
Parrots
Parker male BF Amazon hatched 5/2/2012
Charlie unsexed BF Amazon hatched 1994?
Juno Female BH Caique Hatched 6-3-2013
so we have had Keiko for about 4-5 months now...I love her very much and she seems to like me as well, but I am beginning to feel as though we might not be the right home for her. she is a very demanding bird when she is with you( if she is near to you and you aren't petting her or paying her any attention she will bite you, not hard but enough that it is quite painful) but can play by herself as well. she won't hardly touch toys and is very fearful of any new things, I have been trying to work with her and I can handle her and the issues she has, but I can't help feeling as though she might be happier with someone else...I have been feeling this way for about 2 weeks now and am considering calling her former owners to see if they can take her back...I don't want to give up on her but I want to give her what is best. She just doesn't seem like a balanced bird...what should I do

OP
ParkersMom

ParkersMom

Jan 18, 2013
Nashville TN
Parrots
she won't go near the foraging toys, it takes her a week at minimum to even consider touching a new toy and I work up to 10 hours a day...my husband won't mess with her and has no desire to try...I knew that would be the case going in to this...she seems lonely

sodakat

Jul 15, 2009
I'm sure she is lonely and you are her only stimulation, so when you are close but not available she reacts.

Would she be better off in her previous home than with you? I don't know how to ask this without sounding mean, and I don't want to be mean, but why did you get her since you work such long days and she must live alone most of the time?

It makes me so sad when people think parrots don't need friends -- same species friends.

OP
ParkersMom

ParkersMom

Jan 18, 2013
Nashville TN
Parrots
I understand your concern...I don't always work long shifts mostly 5-7 hours a day...to be honest I got her because I wanted a Macaw, everything has been going great with my amazon and he is every well adjusted, I just assumed that a macaw would be the same way. I hear people talking about routines for birds but I also think that if there is no routine they won't freak if it changes... the only routine they have is when they go to bed and when I get home whatever time that is they both get out of cage time... I really wasn't expecting to bring one home so soon but the way it worked out was I happened to be inquiring about if anyone knew of someone trying to re home a macaw to let me know, the manager said that they had one and were trying to downsize...I went to meet her and feel in love..and brought her home...at her first home she had started to pluck for some reason but I haven't seen any sign of it....I know that I might have made a hasty decision but what is done is done and I am trying to figure out a solution before I cause Keiko any harm

OP
ParkersMom

ParkersMom

Jan 18, 2013
Nashville TN
Parrots
Also I know that it isn't the same as having a mate but her and Parker are in the same room all day and like to chat to each other

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
I would encourage you not to give up on Keiko yet. :) 3-4 months in your home isn't too awfully long. Additionally she IS going through her terrible twos. ;)

Some Macaws are easier frightened than others, and Keiko just seems to take a long time to warm up to new things (toys, foraging stuff, etc.).

Do you play music for her while you are at work? Or can she see the TV? You could leave that running for her for stimulation (cartoons, animal planet and such).

Macaws DO need daily attention, NO doubt, but I truly think it's all about quality time you spend with them.

Believe me, ever since Ripley came to live with me, things have changed DRASTICALLY. He can still be quite a handful, but watching him and Niko interact is HILARIOUS to say the least.

Most importantly, please do what feels right for you. If you are not happy, then Keiko will not be happy. :)

Mayden

Apr 22, 2010
UK.
Parrots
Merlin & Charlie (Senegals)
I understand your concern...I don't always work long shifts mostly 5-7 hours a day...to be honest I got her because I wanted a Macaw, everything has been going great with my amazon and he is every well adjusted, I just assumed that a macaw would be the same way. I hear people talking about routines for birds but I also think that if there is no routine they won't freak if it changes... the only routine they have is when they go to bed and when I get home whatever time that is they both get out of cage time... I really wasn't expecting to bring one home so soon but the way it worked out was I happened to be inquiring about if anyone knew of someone trying to re home a macaw to let me know, the manager said that they had one and were trying to downsize...I went to meet her and feel in love..and brought her home...at her first home she had started to pluck for some reason but I haven't seen any sign of it....I know that I might have made a hasty decision but what is done is done and I am trying to figure out a solution before I cause Keiko any harm

You're being too hard on yourself. Stop defending and justifying your decision to get Keiko, you have her now, 'damage done'. Best thing you can do now is try and improve her life, not dwell on what could have happened etc.

Someone already mentioned tv/cartoons, radio, things like that are all great to leave on for the birds when you're gone.

Why isn't your hubs interested in Keiko? Is he the same with Parker, or is it just Keiko? Some birds ARE phobic of toys, I'm sure there is certainly plenty of cockatoo owners (notorious for it) that will testify to that. New toys are scary, new things are scary. We've recently tried getting Merlin to forage for his food by placing marbles on top of it, you'd think we were killing him. 'WHAT IS THAT IN MY FOOD, OMG ITS NOT FOOD, CRY CRY CRY'.

Your bird is a baby that's starting to get hormones and that is still unsure of their environment. I wouldn't put it down to the 'lack' of routine, we have no routine with Merlin and that doesn't seem to affect him at all because like you said, if they have no routine, how can they be upset when you disrupt the routine? ;)

Unless you are unhappy with Keiko, such as really not bonding and you genuinely want to give her up to someone else. Macaw is too much for you etc, then I'd say stick it out, one day Keiko might snap and just stop being scared, but chances are it's going to be a long drawn out process - that will go along much better with hubs input - and she just needs your time. Not your physical "here I am time" but just the chance to prove to you she isn't a wreck of a birdy. Good luck with whatever you choose to do. x

OP
ParkersMom

ParkersMom

Jan 18, 2013
Nashville TN
Parrots
as far as my husband goes he is a dog and cat person...he is not fond of the BEAK...he will give treats when they are both in their cages but that is about it...I knew this before getting Either bird and I am okay with it... as far as bonding goes I think we have bonded too much...she wants to mate with me... she will not have anything to do with anyone else...unless I am holding her then you can touch her back or tail and she won't freak...when I take her places if I put her on her travel perch and anyone else is around if I try to pick her up she will bite me also...
I can't really explain what I am feeling I love her and want to keep her but i'm not sure it is the right thing to do...

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
Do you want me to come over to help you???? You know I'm in Nashville....Willie used to have nipping fits, they just need to be taught not to. I've had Willie for 10 years, the only time I've ever had a problem with him is during his hormone season.

OP
ParkersMom

ParkersMom

Jan 18, 2013
Nashville TN
Parrots
Mikey... Maybe you could just come over and meet her and let me know what you think might help

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
Do you want me to come over to help you???? You know I'm in Nashville....Willie used to have nipping fits, they just need to be taught not to. I've had Willie for 10 years, the only time I've ever had a problem with him is during his hormone season.

Mikey, YOU ROCK!!!!!

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
Thanks! I really don't mind and I always expect to get bit...lol....just prepare some bandaid....lol...the last grey I helped with training got me good but I got him to step up great. :)

OP
ParkersMom

ParkersMom

Jan 18, 2013
Nashville TN
Parrots
that should work fine i'll pm you my number

Pinkbirdy

Feb 26, 2013
Clifton Springs Newyork
Parrots
macaw,LS2,congo grey,2Blk Hd caiques,Hawkhead,yellowstrk lory,Blue frnt amazon,sun conure ,Yellow sided greencheek ,Goffin ,Rosebreasted Cockatoo,Greenwing Macaw,Blue and Gold Macaw,Nanday conure,Ecle
Dont give up yet :) I would consider him a rehome . Give him a chance to figure you and things out. I bet he will be great in time [remember its a slow go especially rehomes] I would think you have to remember [he started plucking ,at his last home] . That happend for a reason ,maybe thats why he wont play with things and is scared. I dont think thats normal in young birds . Could be the cause of things now .(Please try :)

weco

Nov 24, 2010
USA
Parrots
Nanday, suns, parrotlet, Patagonian
What kind of & how much training do you do with Keiko on a daily basis? Your post sounds a bit like she's imposing on your time & because she interferes with something you want to do, your starting to get upset with her.....did you not realize that large birds are usually more demanding than smaller birds ? ? ?

Two and a half months is not really any time to bring any bird, let alone a large bird into your home and establish a relationship that you feel comfortable with/in.....sometimes it may take a year or two or even longer to establish that relationship.....

It is a shame that Keiko may have to start all over again.....

Mayden

Apr 22, 2010
UK.
Parrots
Merlin & Charlie (Senegals)
as far as my husband goes he is a dog and cat person...he is not fond of the BEAK...he will give treats when they are both in their cages but that is about it...I knew this before getting Either bird and I am okay with it... as far as bonding goes I think we have bonded too much...she wants to mate with me... she will not have anything to do with anyone else...unless I am holding her then you can touch her back or tail and she won't freak...when I take her places if I put her on her travel perch and anyone else is around if I try to pick her up she will bite me also...
I can't really explain what I am feeling I love her and want to keep her but i'm not sure it is the right thing to do...

You say she's wanting to mate with you, then mentioning touching her back or tail. Don't do this, it's encouraging the mating behaviour!

So happy Mikey has offered to step in, I'm sure you'll learn a lot about Keiko with him around :)

OP
ParkersMom

ParkersMom

Jan 18, 2013
Nashville TN
Parrots
I talked to Mikey and he thinks she might have been abused in her last home...I attempt training at least once a day but have yet to find anything she likes to eat other that brazil nuts and they are to big...she knows step up, we are working on turn and take it/drop it but it is still slow going in that aspect of her life, I have also successfully used the no nip train method with excellent results so far only needing a little reminder every so often... also she has started to mumble a lot more than she use to and I have clearly heard her say step up, good girl, hello, what , and ouch...she didn't talk much before I got her except the very occasional hello...Also I think that people can have an idea of how much time and effort are involved with raising any animal but until they are actually doing it it remains just an idea...If I wasn't willing to work with or help her I would have just re homed her and would not be asking for any help with the matter...as I stated previously I want what is best for Keiko want ever that may be...

OP
ParkersMom

ParkersMom

Jan 18, 2013
Nashville TN
Parrots
I try to avoid touching anything but her head, I was merely using that as an example of her reaction to people...I don't know her well enough to let someone who is unfamiliar with large bird touch near her head

horsesculpter

Jun 21, 2012
Texas
Parrots
Catalina Macaw, Sunny
Keiko is way to young to be looking for a mate. I suspect she is just lonely and missing her family. In the wild she would have her flock 24 hours a day. They would eat together, fly together, sleep together and she would mate for life. It is hard for the average home to replicate any of this. We got our Sunny when she was 2 1/2 and we were her fourth home. She was heartbroken to lose her family and hated us For it. It was weeks before she quit lunging and biting. As time went on she accepted us. I guess she didn't have a choice. As the months went by she grew to love us but it was probably a year before we didn't notice changes from month to month. She still looks for dark haired women and little girls and we have had her for over two years. She seems to be a very happy and well adjusted bird. We are with her most of every day and take her with us when we can. She eats with us every meal when we are home. It's a lot of time but we all love it and she is well worth it. It takes time. You wouldn't expect a child ripped from its family and given to a new one to not suffer some trauma.

Most Reactions

Latest posts