What should I do?

Bilalsabaayoun

Aug 22, 2014
I have an un tamed african grey that im training,from about a week I could touch him scratch his head but I could not let him step on my hand he'll bite but not very hard, now he's so aggressive even when I give him a toy or something to chew on he looks for my hand to bite and I dont dare to touch his back or scratch his head because the biting machine will be activated:smile050:and you definitely don't want that to happen .
So what could be the reason and what should I do:)

weco

Nov 24, 2010
USA
Parrots
Nanday, suns, parrotlet, Patagonian
One week is a very short time to try "taming" any un-tamed companion parrot.....actually it is not really taming, you are trying to convince your African grey to accept you as its companion and that may take several days to several months or longer.....what a bird might do initially is no guarantee that it will continue to continue with that demeanor.....

One of the best ways to get your grey to accept you is to sit next to its cage, talking to it in a gentle voice & offering it treats.....it is also best that you not reach for your bird, but let it always be the bird's decision to come to you, then after the bird gets used to you and its new home, a bird usually becomes a lot friendlier and a lot more trusting.....once you have established a level of trust with your bird, it's important that you continue to maintain that trust level.....

Good luck.....

punkindave

Apr 9, 2013
Media
Albums
Bethlehem, PA
Parrots
Budgie Niles, Rascal RBC-2001, Jake "footloose" CAG-2015, Butchie Triton-1988, Neyteri "Chatterbox" CAG, and the "Squeak Squad" (4 Caiques) ScooterPie 8/12, Skittles 4/13, Chica 2006, Ringo 2009
Basically they are wild animals that are quite afraid in a new environment. The result of that fear is almost always a bite if you move too fast or present a threat. (anything can be a threat!) CAGs are not easy to gain trust and can takes weeks or even months. They are not normally cuddly, warm love sponges.

After 2+ years, my Wife's CAG tolerates me and won't hesitate to come sit on my shoulder when I have something she wants, she'll even preen my head on occasion but will not step up for me without a little nip or allow me to skritch her head or carry her.

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
He isn't tame.

This is a wild bird you're dealing with. Until he trusts you completely he will continue to bite. And CAGS tend to be slower to trust...

Take your time, respect the boundaries, and slowly expand them until your bird accepts you.

Favorite treats and structured interaction go a long way. Ignoring the bird and letting him initiate the action, and not forcing the issue also helps with CAGS.

CAGS prefer to be handled on their own terms, and they are (and this is the understatement of the year) A TAD STUBBORN!!!

Most Reactions