what should I do?

katyrose53

Sep 2, 2018
Hi!

I am 63 years and my husband and I are both retired, kids grown, two grand kids. It has been about 20/25 years since I last had my birds and I really miss having a bird in our household. I am really struggling on what species I would like to choose this time. I, almost, bought a 12 week old IRN but (even tho I know what it is like to be bit) I was concerned about the "bluffing stage" and keeping the bird tame. Saw many opinions on the web and most were not positive. I hope I made the right decision. Now I am looking at Budgies and Cockatiels. Love both! They can be wonderful birds but in the meantime a few years ago I got two cats and wondered how they would do with the cats. I am home alot (farm, horses), and I plan on letting my bird be out of cage all the time, so would be hard to always lock up the cats. I have also looked at the Pionus Parrot.
Ugh! hard to make decisions. Would love to hear of anyone's opinion on this

Thanks much

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
Welcome!

When selecting a bird, I would consider adopting an older one without a history of abuse (this is no guarantee for good behavior but....). I say this, because if you get a baby (and God forbid) your health becomes an issue, then you are looking at traumatizing a bird by re-homing it (should you ever be unable to provide the care it needs). The cats could really pose a problem, so you are right to consider it, as it is good for birds to be out when owners can allow it (as you know). I would definitely not consider getting any of the varieties that tend to live for 20+ years, as I am 30 and I am looking at having to potentially will my cockatoo to someone (if/when the time comes). Birds often stink at major transitions, as they do bond so closely with "their" people. Although you will probably be doing fine at 83, should bending or mobility become an issue, it is better to err on the side of caution.

Last edited:

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 40-year-old Patagonian Conure
Good advice, dear noodles.

Katy, is there a shelter near you where you could volunteer? Maybe a bird will pick you!

Other than that, I hope you'll just take it easy and get your feet wet again, bird-wise, and spend some time with us here.

I really like your attitude. You're kind, and a planner, and a real animal lover.

Yeah, the cat thing is scary, and a very healthy paranoia is a good idea! Some members have a very mixed bag of animals, and they can advise you further.

EllenD

Aug 20, 2016
State College, PA
Parrots
Senegal Parrot named "Kane"; Yellow-Sided Green Cheek Conure named "Bowie"; Blue Quaker Parrot named "Lita Ford"; Cockatiel named "Duff"; 8 American/English Budgie Hybrids; Ringneck Dove named "Dylan"
Welcome to the forum!

I'm not a big believer in the whole "Bluffing Stage" thing at all, I think it's overblown...What i can tell you for certain is that I would never allow it to determine the species of parrot that I own...Not at all. If that's your only worry about bringing home an IRN after doing your research, then I'd say go with the IRN if that's the species you think fits your life and personality...Personally, if I were you, I would speak to our senior member SilverSage, as she owns dozens of IRN's currently, has owned many other in the past, is a reputable IRN breeder, and she would be the person that I would ask first regarding anything and everything IRN. Period.

Besides making sure that you bring home the species of parrot that is a great match for you and your lifestyle, the cat thing is a big worry. No matter how nice, cuddly, docile your cats are, they are still cats. And all cats are innate, natural hunters. As such, it's going to be very difficult to safely have a bird that is allowed to be out free in your home with the cats free in the same room(s) (multiple, right, you have 2 cats?). Certainly not a good idea to allow them out free together unsupervised, in fact I don't suggest that you do that with any other animal, dog, cat, ferret, etc. So if it's a situation where you're going to want to let your bird out free in your house while you're not with them in the same room and your cats are going to also be out, then that's a big no-no. I don't even like the idea of letting cats out with birds when the owner is in the room with them and watching them like a hawk, but definitely not unsupervised. And you're right, it's not fair to the cats to have to be locked up in a room all day long, but it's even less fair (and less healthy) for a bird to not allowed out of their cage all day long. So that's a situation that you might need to think about and try to come-up with a plan or routine first, before bringing a bird home. And speak to some other cat owners here on the forum that can maybe give you suggestions. I don't own a cat, but I have 2 dogs, and i can tell you that even though my 2 dogs have never once even attempted to hurt any of my many birds, I have also never once allowed them to be alone together unsupervised. Not once. It's just not worth the risk.

And I'm a big Budgie person, I grew-up with tons of them, and I bred both American and English Budgies for 20 years. I currently have 8 that were the very last clutch I ever bred and hand-raised, and they are awesome little companions. I also have a Cockatiel, and she's the sweetest bird in the entire world. Definitely the sweetheart of my flock. It's all about what you want, what fits your life, your home, etc. Ask lots of questions and do lots of research first. And any way that we can help you we will!

LeslieA

Aug 21, 2018
Media
Albums
Parrotian Castle
Parrots
Glenn, IRN; Sherman, WCP; JoJo, budgie; Tommy, budgie; Daytona, Sunday; Sir Lancelot, GCC; Duchess, BCC; Chirps, GRP (Green-rumped Parrotlet)
Adoption saves lives!

Obviously, I'm a big proponent of adoption. In my flock are 2 rescues, 3 rehomes, 1 questionable status and 1 pet store doll. Before a bird joins our floteack, I make prior arrangements in case rehoming is necessary. (That's why I only do small-medium to small beaks.)

Another consideration is your cats. Small birds seem to excite even sweet, senior cats. While there are homes (mine) with both, they need to be separated physically in some way.

This is how it worked pre-birdroom at my house. When birds are in the front half of the house, my cat is in the back and vice versa. Then when it's time to switch, the birds get caged, the cat is put in a doored room, cages are opened and the birds come out to the other half with me then the cat's door is opened. After bird bedtime, the cat has my full attention as he wants.

OP
K

katyrose53

Sep 2, 2018
Thank you , Noodles 123 and galeriagila ~ You gave me alot to think about!

Ellen ~ Thank you as well. I appreciate what you said about the cats and please know I would never let a bird be unsupervised with them and especially alone in the same room. But you gave me, as well, a lot of things to consider./

LeslieA ~ That is one thing I was most concerned about that the Budgies beiing so small and active that it would trigger more of their prey drive, but I really like your idea.

LeslieA

Aug 21, 2018
Media
Albums
Parrotian Castle
Parrots
Glenn, IRN; Sherman, WCP; JoJo, budgie; Tommy, budgie; Daytona, Sunday; Sir Lancelot, GCC; Duchess, BCC; Chirps, GRP (Green-rumped Parrotlet)
Thank you , Noodles 123 and galeriagila ~ You gave me alot to think about!

Ellen ~ Thank you as well. I appreciate what you said about the cats and please know I would never let a bird be unsupervised with them and especially alone in the same room. But you gave me, as well, a lot of things to consider./

LeslieA ~ That is one thing I was most concerned about that the Budgies beiing so small and active that it would trigger more of their prey drive, but I really like your idea.
I didn't mention what I referred to as the NUETRAL ZONE. This is where the front foyer is as well as a second bathroom. The cat always had access to that bathroom as that was where the litter box was.

A sign was turned on either hall door warning that birds were freely flying and visitors could expect to be used as perches.

Volunteering at or at the very least visiting a sanctuary allows you and the birds to interact. Most sanctuaries either employ a full-time AV or have an AV contracted to it.

This has benefits. Often, upon your request, that AV may aquire your bird(s) or recommend someone. In addition, you may find a floating pay scale available. For example, mine follows.
1. Rescues are 75% off including all labs and surgeries and free pharmaceuticals and nail/beak trims,
2. Rehomes are 50% of everything with free in- house labs,
3. Pet Store/ Breeder Birds are charged 100% for everything.

Adopting has multiple benefits!

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
I think a Quaker!!!! If course I have 2, one is an older rescue. They can be great talkers, both of mine enjoy cuddles and head scratches, abd playing games, or sitting on my shoulder while I read or TV watch. They are a nice size. Love to eat veggies. They seem to show up as rescues because they don't cost a lot and people get them then realize parrots are a lot of work and so get rid of them. Or they ignore them and they are so social they start feather picking, then people get rid of them.... My rescue Penny was a mild feather picker, and she seems well on her way to getting past this issue in only a month. I think they are the perfect package!!! Indian ringnecks seem a but more standoffish in general and much less likely to enjoy physically touching them. Apologies to all the most beautiful and contradictively affection ringneck friends out there!!! I do find them stunning I swear!!!!! I'm just biased, love me some quakers :)

OP
K

katyrose53

Sep 2, 2018
I think a Quaker!!!! If course I have 2, one is an older rescue. They can be great talkers, both of mine enjoy cuddles and head scratches, abd playing games, or sitting on my shoulder while I read or TV watch. They are a nice size. Love to eat veggies. They seem to show up as rescues because they don't cost a lot and people get them then realize parrots are a lot of work and so get rid of them. Or they ignore them and they are so social they start feather picking, then people get rid of them.... My rescue Penny was a mild feather picker, and she seems well on her way to getting past this issue in only a month. I think they are the perfect package!!! Indian ringnecks seem a but more standoffish in general and much less likely to enjoy physically touching them. Apologies to all the most beautiful and contradictively affection ringneck friends out there!!! I do find them stunning I swear!!!!! I'm just biased, love me some quakers :)

Hi Laurasea ~ I just tried to send you a reply and looked like it did not go through so if you get a double reply I apologize...:)

My daughter had a Quaker called "baby" when she was in high school, she is now 38 years old and the mother of my two grandchildren....Wow time sure flies) Anywho, when my daughter was in school, he would call her name over and over, first softly than very loudly. When he realized that my daughter was not there, he said "Mom? Mom?., So funny

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
Katyrose the internet is full of “cute” videos of birds, cats & dogs happily playing & interacting with each other. But what you don’t see unless you go looking for them (and I certainly don’t!) is what happens when things go wrong. I lost a budgie once in a split second - bringing him home from a sitter who had a chihuahua. Even the most domesticated animals can have predatory instincts that a fluttering bird may awaken and if there’s an incident it’s not only painful & often fatal for the bird but also makes you feel absolutely horrible. I don’t mean to discourage you from adopting but please proceed with extreme caution.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Kateyrose53, you have to have several posts before you can send private messages. See quakers are so social!!! And I think you could easily find one, that had been reasonably carred for, but is being given up. Even the dreaded craigs list...there are always one or two listed bear me. Of course do dillegent interview of person and eyeball the poor birdie....they are often at rescue parrot places too..like I said people can get them cheap so are more likely to be the same people to throw them out...

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
I have dogs and parrots. No ideas about cats. My dogs are trained to give me five feet of personal space if I have the parrot out, and I keep my birds flighted and never allow anyone near anyone, and only out with me, if I have to powder my nose bird goes with me or back in the cage......cats no idea

itchyfeet

Nov 1, 2014
Middle Earth
Parrots
Ethyl the cockatiel, Henry & Clarke the IRN's, and Skittles the lovebird (my daughters)
I'm no Silversage but do have two IRN's at home.
I guess they can be a little nippy, and not always the most hands on species, but I'm not sure My IRN's are any more likely to bite than the others. Bite pressure training helps, as does learning to read their behaviours. One of mine was a change of circumstance adoption, the other was an adoption because he was cage bound, and the owner couldn't handle him.
That IRN was young and adaptable. He's now an incredible shoulder bird. My inlaws have a SC2, and my mother has an RB2 who boarded with us for six months.
I honestly think my worst bites from the flock, including the 'toos, have come from the lovie.
The IRN's can be loud, but they are hilarious and intelligent companions.
I would suggest not taking any species off your list, keeping an eye on breeders, rescues and classifieds, and meeting the birds. You'll know when you find the right one :)

(from a home with fish, chickens, a poodle, a cat, a cat who 'thinks' he lives here, and some parrots for good measure - you know your animals, and with careful management it can work, it just requires consistent vigilance)

itchyfeet

Nov 1, 2014
Middle Earth
Parrots
Ethyl the cockatiel, Henry & Clarke the IRN's, and Skittles the lovebird (my daughters)
I have dogs and parrots. No ideas about cats. My dogs are trained to give me five feet of personal space if I have the parrot out, and I keep my birds flighted and never allow anyone near anyone, and only out with me, if I have to powder my nose bird goes with me or back in the cage......cats no idea

Yup, flighted here too. That certainly helps.

Most Reactions

Latest posts