What should I have done?

Quantumcat

Feb 21, 2010
Media
Bathurst, NSW
Parrots
One Eclectus, Scarlett
Yesterday I was eating some leftovers for lunch, and of course Scarlett flew onto me and started asking for some (pulling my hair, biting my ear). I didn't want to give her any cause I used really expensive ingredients and it had also taken hours to make, and she would only mush it up, drop it on the floor, and get it in my hair when I was about to go out. So I got out some spinach leaves from the fridge and gave her some each time she asked for food. I didn't really pay attention to whether she was eating them or not, she doesn't get them often and usually really likes them. Well it turns out she DIDN'T want them. After about two minutes she turned around, and planted a huge poo on my shirt.

You're not supposed to punish birds, but that had to be a deliberate act of vengance. Birds will not poo on their owners out of instinct, right?! I was pretty mad cause this was my best shirt and I now had to find a replacement in ten minutes. I reacted by putting her in her travel cage which she hates. It didn't seem right to not punish a completely deliberate act of badness.

But now that I think about it, I don't think I've ever refused her demands for my food, so perhaps she is justified in thinking that I am deliberately being mean to her, and reacting to that. What do you guys think? Punish or ignore or something in between?

nofearengineer

Sep 8, 2010
Parrots
Gandalf - CAG (1997-2010) R.I.P. my baby boy.
Bitty - CAG (2 yrs old? and working on spoiling her rotten)
How old is she?

If she's young, she may still be a bit unpredictable with her poo.

My grey eventually figured out that being taken back to his cage after he messed up my shoulder was not good. But I wouldn't take it for granted that an adult bird knows not to. It's sort of unnatural for them to even care about the subject. In the wild, they just squat and drop some ballast anywhere. But they are smart, and can adapt to our world and "social" requirements.

greycloud

Mar 21, 2010
Baltimore, MD
Parrots
Sammy-Umbrella Too-rescued,
Dexter-CAG-rehomed handicapped,
Sterling-CAG-rehomed retired breeder.
Sunshine-12 yo CAG-adopted
Sorry, but birds do not poop out of vengence. Punishment has no effect on birds except scare them. It is best to ignore unwanted behavior and use positive reinforcement to reward wanted behavior. It would have been best to put her away prior to you eating if you know she will beg. JMHO.

Aussie Ben

Jun 8, 2010
Media
South Australia
I gotta go with GC here, birds don't poop on you to get back at you. Unless you have shown strong emotion about it in the past, Scarlett would have no idea that the poop even bothers you to begin with. I also agree that punishment is a waste of time with birds and usually damages your relationship. A firm word and occasional time-outs seem to be somewhat effective, but avoiding the bad behaviour (putting scarlett in her cage while you eat) and reinforcing good behaviour have definitely been proved most effective. If this does happen again, I would quietly put scarlett back in her cage for a while :)

Bumma about the shirt though, at least she didn't get your food;)

Last edited:

Von1983

Banned
Banned
Sep 3, 2010
Media
I have to agree that punishment doesn't work. With Cal being the "velcro" way she is atm I have to make bedtime positive because she always wants to stay up so not to miss the fun. I don't believe they know what punishment is as such. I've read on numerous occasions that "exclusion from the flock" is the worst punishment and for that, they don't even need to be in their cage - just ignored for 10mins. I've never had to do this, but it sounds like a plan to me.

Cal's pooped on me once but she generally goes back to the cage. I watch her a lot and when she goes I say: Oooh Cal pooped! Good girl! I think that's why she goes back because I've always done it.

When she did poop and me I viewed it like the dogs coming in from a muddy walk and greeting me with paws on my arms and clean kitchen floor. It's just what happens.

I don't want to sound at all condescending, but maybe, if Scarlett is out, put on a big old tshirt to protect your clothes. I've had to start that as Cal has a fondness for buttons lol. Oh, and regurgitating for me. ;) Mmmmm....nummy.

OP
Quantumcat

Quantumcat

Feb 21, 2010
Media
Bathurst, NSW
Parrots
One Eclectus, Scarlett
Ok fair enough. She is young, almost two years old. She's never pooed on me ever, she only goes in or on the cage or on her tstand or on the shower rail. Except once at my parents house where she didn't know where her cage was and I had neglected to take her back there for too long. Surely it must have been deliberate. She's held on for hours before, and the exact timing of it? I don't mind taking responsibility cause I was teasing her after all. When she started asking I should have put her away.

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
When she started asking I should have put her away. There is your answer. I agree Scarlett did not do it deliberately at all.
Think about it, we as humans sometimes need the loo "urgently" perhaps this was an urgent moment for Scarlett. No punishment please, you don't want her thinking each time she needs to poopies will there be punishment afterwards.

ostromk45

Oct 8, 2010
Parrots
Eclectus parrot female
Ok fair enough. She is young, almost two years old. She's never pooed on me ever, she only goes in or on the cage or on her tstand or on the shower rail. Except once at my parents house where she didn't know where her cage was and I had neglected to take her back there for too long. Surely it must have been deliberate. She's held on for hours before, and the exact timing of it? I don't mind taking responsibility cause I was teasing her after all. When she started asking I should have put her away.

I guess everyone has there own oppinon just like every bird has there own personality. My bella has never ever pooed on me she will only go when she is in or on her cage. I think it is possible that they could poo out of anger they bite when they are scared they scream or act out in some other way when they want something. Birds are very smart so I think that it is possible

wuvzbirdies

May 5, 2009
Toronto, Canada
Parrots
Congo African Grey: Russell Peters (R.I.P. my baby)
I sure wish Russell got the memo about birds not pooping on their owners out of instinct, he must have been busy the day they were being handed out

Most Reactions

Latest posts