What size are amazons considered??

Birdboy

Feb 12, 2013
Media
Australia
Parrots
Keiko Yellow-crowned Amazon
Hi guys, I have a yellow crowned amazon for a while. But I have never really known what there size is.

Compared to a macaw they are small, this is why I didn't think that they large parrots. But they are not small ether. I guess they are medium??????

ParkersMom

Jan 18, 2013
Nashville TN
Parrots
Parker male BF Amazon hatched 5/2/2012
Charlie unsexed BF Amazon hatched 1994?
Juno Female BH Caique Hatched 6-3-2013
I Just bought the aviator harness, they classify amazons as medium,
they classify the Blue Front as a small for the aviator

as to the question I would consider them to be a medium size parrot

SandyBee

Oct 5, 2012
Coquitlam BC, Canada
Parrots
DYH Amazon-Rescue- Bosley (36),
African Brown head-Rescue- August(9)
I Just bought the aviator harness, they classify amazons as medium,
they classify the Blue Front as a small for the aviator

as to the question I would consider them to be a medium size parrot

So true, meant to say that.
The DYH, Yellow Nape and Mealy are considered Medium. It goes by weight for the aviator harness 450 g - 650 g

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
Looking at my Hunter I say HUGE...but then again, if I compare her to my Macs she's just a wee bit. ;)

Amazons are usually considered medium sized birds, but as previous posters have already mentioned, it depends on what type of Amazon. I personally would consider the Spectacled Amazon as a small bird, but compared to a budgie, that would be wrong. :54:

julya

Nov 30, 2012
Parrots
Green Cheek Amazon
My amazon weighs 330g and I just got him the small size aviator harness, and it seems pretty small. I am not sure that it will fit over his head.

Featheredsamurai

Aug 24, 2011
California
Parrots
African Greg
2 cockatiels
My amazon weighs 330g and I just got him the small size aviator harness, and it seems pretty small. I am not sure that it will fit over his head.
That should fit him, the aviator harness has a smallish collar and your bird. large headed Birds, like the cape parrot, really need to help you by pushing their heads through(or allow you to pull it over).

Most Reactions