what time does your bird go to bed?

T00tsyd

May 8, 2017
UK
Parrots
Green cheek conure - Sydney (Syd) Hatched 2/2017
I stick to regular bedtime only because I find Syd is happier. So 7.30pm bedtime and up at 8am. He often calls at 7.30am but will happily settle again until I fetch him. He is in a spare room in his sleep cage covered and blinds closed. It is dark here now at about 5pm and he does nap during the days usually after lunch or often snuggled into the back of my hair when he gets the chance.

Rival_of_the_Rickeybird

2x Parrot of the Month 🏆
Jul 31, 2016
Ohio
Parrots
None. My wife has one too many. Kidding!
Yeah, I do believe that the missus has always kept the Bird on a natural light schedule. Sun comes up, he's up, getting fed, etc. Sun goes down, he's retired for the evening. Seems to serve the old rooster well. 37 years old this year. :/

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Mine go to bed between 7-8:30pm and wake up around 8am. They're covered and in a room with closed blinds. If it's a bright sunny day and they sense the sunlight shining through they'll often make noise. Otherwise, they just hang out til I come get them. My kids wake up around 6:30am and their bedroom is across from the bird bedroom/my office so I'm sure they hear the boys. If the boys wake up really early and make a lot of noise (sometimes they're up at 6am) I will put the birds to bed earlier that night to ensure they get enough rest.
Keen doesn't take naps during the day that I've ever noticed, so I think she gets plenty of sleep. Opi naps 2-3 hours during the day, every day, no matter how much sleep he gets. I guess he just likes nappies ... can't blame him!! :)
My African Grey has been screaming want to go night about three in the afternoon. I want her to stay up later. Once she begins screaming I don't know what to do. She began screaming ever since I got remarried. I have to move her back and forth between places so she'll stop. I let her out of the cage to wander around and she gets petted. The screaming drives me crazy and gives me anxiety which isn't good for me

Going to bed at 3:00pm seems unnatural. Does your bird appear sick or have changes in other functions such as eating and eliminating? Getting remarried may have changed a lot for her. Was it traumatic in any way?

pterry97

Aug 26, 2020
UK
I'd imagine my red rump would rise and set with the sun, but because I have a UV and heat lamp in the room for my tortoise, she often wants to stay awake. I put her to bed myself at 7pm so that she gets her 12 hours of sleep. She definitely wakes with sunrise often around 7-8am, and on days when I have to get up at 6 she will just grumble and tuck her head further into her neck until its Her Turn to wake up.

kai21

Jan 15, 2021
New quaker owner here. Browsing the net on this subject and found this thread. Got mine at 9 weeks old and noticed that he gets really grumpy right around 6-6:30 which is when it starts to get dark this time of year around here in central FL. The store I bought him from closes at 7pm, so I just thought that's what he was used to. We're usually up around 6am and he seems fine during the day. My sister has several cockatoos and they simply go to sleep on their own, covered or not, so this was a new experience for me.

I find it funny how he has no problem letting us know when its time to sleep.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
It's part of the group response thing, where individuals begin the process and others commonly follow.

Our Amazon is on the Sunlight schedule, when it starts getting dark, he's off to his sleeping perch. Same for the morning as it gets naturally lighter. This results in a wide variation of the amount of sleep he gets over the passing of a year. This normally allows for a predictable start to his hormonal season.

So, long story short, when it becomes naturally darker.

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
My bird goes to bed around 4/5 each day in the winter (she signals that she is ready to be covered by doing this bobbing ritual inside of her cage on one side). She wakes up around 5-7, depending on whether I work that day or not. She wakes up when she hears me moving around, but even if I am still asleep, she is definitely awake by 6 or 7 because she starts moving around.

In the summer, she stays up later because I wake up later, but also because of the lighting...usually 6:00 or 7:00 pm with a 7 or 8am wake-up

She gets 12-14 hours of sleep

T00tsyd

May 8, 2017
UK
Parrots
Green cheek conure - Sydney (Syd) Hatched 2/2017
Syd a GCC goes to bed in his sleep cage at 7.30pm year round and gets up at 8am. He is covered in a darkened room but I do think that he would go as soon as it gets dark but that's about 4.30pm at the moment and that does seem too long. It isn't quite light at 8am. He is quietly napping on my shoulder now at 5pm and I have the lights on already. He is rarely reluctant to go to bed and the minute I mention 'bed' he stops whatever he is doing and flies straight to my shoulder ready.

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
Amy and BB go to bed between 9 and 9:30pm. Both houses get covered and within minutes they have settled down. I wake them between 8:30 and 9am.
Neither seem to nap during the day. Since their "Uncle David" got them Cozy Covers for their houses it really seems to help Amy get a good nights sleep.

When Smokey was alive,any where between 9:55 and 10:05 pm she would yell GOOD NIGHT! GOOD NIGHT!!! and if I dawdled she would yell louder..sometimes she would go into her house and close the door behind her. Even when setting clocks forward or back for time changes she knew what time it was...uncanny.

Jim

Most Reactions

Latest posts