What to do saving on perches?

Bengara

Oct 18, 2011
Media
Omro, WI
Parrots
Zebra finches, society finches,button quail, green cheek conure, sun conure, quaker parrot, Congo greys, double yellow amazon, orangewing amazons and lovebird
I go through a lot of perches, I was wondering if you can use tree branches, I know from a book I read it says you can?
But I'm not sure what trees are toxic and other are not? Can anyone help me on this question?

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
Jake YNA 1970,Kia Panama amazon1975, both i removed from nest and left siblings, Forever Home to,Stacie (YN hen),Mickie (RLA male),Blinkie (YNA hen),Kong (Panama hen),Rescue Zons;Nitro,Echo,Rocky,Rub
Not sure what part of the world your in but i've Googled safe plants for parrots and got good info on mostly native plants and trees here in the US. I would becareful using fruit trees from an orchard or nursery that has been sprayed , or an area sprayed for mosquitoes,and near agricultural crops. (get off in the woods)

Last edited:

Spiritbird

Banned
Banned
Aug 20, 2009
Media
You are so right about getting wood from trees that have not been sprayed or fertalized with a non organic product.

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
Why don't you get some dragon wood or manzanita perches?

merlinsmom13

Jul 27, 2010
Beckley, WV
Parrots
Merlin a Red Crowned Amazon
Merlin loves his apple perches. We took them from a tree in our yard. I've lived there since I was a young girl, so I know no pesticides were used.

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
Merlin loves his apple perches. We took them from a tree in our yard. I've lived there since I was a young girl, so I know no pesticides were used.

If you live within the city, its pollution you have to worry about from vehicles and such...that's why its suggested going out to the country side.

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
I used to collect tree branches for my birds when I used to live out in the boones.....lol

Remy

Jul 13, 2011
California
Parrots
Darcy (Golden-Collared Macaw), Puck (Caique - RIP)
I've used citrus branches... I didn't feel like sanding the bark off, so I sprayed it with bleach (and let it air out and dry thoroughly) several times to make sure it was safe, and put it in cage.

Most Reactions

Latest posts