what to do

cdog

Feb 20, 2012
Newbury Park, CA
Parrots
Sully-2 year old cinnamon and Bella-3 year old normal
breeding pair of gcc, Scooter & BeeBee-Sully and Bella's normal son's, Rosey- Bella and Sully's cinnamon daughter, Ella & Sunny-American budgies
So I just found this amazing bird store that has a pair of white capped pionus. Well I have a pair of gcc that are sitting on a clutch of 5 right now and the store owner said he was thinking about a trade, the pionus pair for my clutch of gcc. Do you think it would be a good trade? I didn't ask too many questions about the pair because I didn't have much time and my babies wont be ready for a while, all I know about the pair is they are healthy and tame.
Are white capped pionus' a good choice of bird? Any of you owners have any advice on the species? I have wanted a pionus for a long time but couldn't find any near me.
Any advice would be great, I'm so excited that I found not one but two white capped near me.

Oh and just a side note, the store also had a moluccan cockatoo, timneh African grey, yellow naped amazon, and two maxamillion pionus and they all had big cages and a great diet. The store owner was also knew a lot about parrots.

mnkeastman

Jan 6, 2012
Parrots
Pixie-White Capped Pionus
Pixie is my first bird as you probably know. I have only had her a few weeks. But she is so wonderful. We just love her to bits! She gives kisses now, and will jabber at us when we talk to her, she has this cute cooing type of jabber that I can just tell she is trying to be sweet when she uses it. She grooms us and well I can't say enough about how happy I am with my choice of Parrot. She is better than I ever thought she would be.

OP
cdog

cdog

Feb 20, 2012
Newbury Park, CA
Parrots
breeding pair of gcc, Scooter & BeeBee-Sully and Bella's normal son's, Rosey- Bella and Sully's cinnamon daughter, Ella & Sunny-American budgies
Thats so sweet, the pair are just so pretty. Is there a way to tell age by looking at them? They have splotchy white on there heads, I don't know if that's what its supposed to look like or not.

lexx510

Mar 13, 2011
Bay Area, CA
Parrots
Pineapple Green Cheek Conure
That's a tough one. I think I'd be too worried about whom the babies eventually get sold to, since it would be out of my control. I'd hate for them to end up being neglected by some impulsive buyer :(

Last edited:
OP
cdog

cdog

Feb 20, 2012
Newbury Park, CA
Parrots
I haven't thought about that part, you have a good point. I'm so confused, I don't know what to get. They have an African grey there and it looks so sweet and Grey's are my dream birds, but pionus are just great birds and I cant find any downsides to them. I just don't know what to do!
Does anybody know of any downsides to pionus?

Spiritbird

Banned
Banned
Aug 20, 2009
Media
As long as you are confused I would do nothing so you do not regret your decision. I also would talk to breeders and rescue and stay out of pet stores.

OP
cdog

cdog

Feb 20, 2012
Newbury Park, CA
Parrots
Yes it is a mom and pop shop, the guy breeds the birds at home. I have a few months to decide because my clutch hasn't even hatched yet so I will visit the store some more. I really like the tag he has there though so I think it is a toss up between those birds. But like I said I wont be getting either of them any time soon so I have time to decide.;)

MissyMe83

Nov 29, 2011
Indiana
Parrots
Tate ~~
White Capped Pionus -
Violet ~~ Yellow Naped Amazon - Jupiter ~~ Baby B&G Macaw (coming soon)
I have a WC Pionus and I feel the same way. He's a great bird. He can entertain himself, but also enjoys hanging out with us, whistling and mimicking back and fourth, loves to be scratched, plays with all his toys and really enjoys himself. He also eats plenty of fresh foods, and isn't a picky guy. He's all around a great bird!
He's also just recently decided that my boyfriend should be his mate, but he's just as sweet to me as always. He's not agressive at all.

lene1949

Sep 26, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Parrots
Cory: Short billed Corella -
Echo: Galah -
Max: Alexandrine -
Skye: Yellow Sided conure -
Luka: Green Cheek Conure -
RIP Shrek: Quaker
You're trading your babies for a pair of breeding Pionus? Are you sure they're not related?

Remy

Jul 13, 2011
California
Parrots
Darcy (Golden-Collared Macaw), Puck (Caique - RIP)
What's the name of the store?

Keep an eye out on Craigslist for a Pionus. I actually emailed somebody about a Pionus when I was bird shopping, before emailing about the caique. The pionus owner took a long to get back to me though, and by the time they did, I already had Puck. It was meant to be. <3

They aren't the most frequently rehomed birds, but people do rehome them.

OP
cdog

cdog

Feb 20, 2012
Newbury Park, CA
Parrots
I was just thinking about it, I've decided not to get anymore birds for a while. I'm just going to spoil the birds that I have, they already are I'm just going to spoil them more.
Thanks.

OP
cdog

cdog

Feb 20, 2012
Newbury Park, CA
Parrots
I think the name of the store was tropical fish and birds it's on TO boulevard, but I went down there again and the guy was smoking outside where the birds were.

Enjru

Banned
Banned
Feb 19, 2012
Sydney, Australia
Parrots
1 x Scarlet Macaw, 2 x DYHA's
Hope Bella is recovered and the babies are growing well. Hope when it is time for you to rehome the babies, that you can find better buyers who don't smoke near their birds.

OP
cdog

cdog

Feb 20, 2012
Newbury Park, CA
Parrots
Bella is doing better, she doesnt make the clicking sound anymore. The three babies from her last clutch are doing great, we decided to keep them all. The clutch she is sitting on now hasn't hatched yet so we'll see how that goes, she isn't the best mom but this will be her third clutch so mabey things will go better. Sully and Bella were on a seed and fruit diet when I got them but I am trying to get them on pellets and they get fruit, veggies, grains and eggs.

Most Reactions

Latest posts