What to do

ParkersMom

Jan 18, 2013
Nashville TN
Parrots
Parker male BF Amazon hatched 5/2/2012
Charlie unsexed BF Amazon hatched 1994?
Juno Female BH Caique Hatched 6-3-2013
We got Charlie in July. She was is rough shape health wise. The vet decided to wait for blood work till we got her nutrition under control. Well he says we will be ready to do blood work this spring. My dilemma is I want to do a dna test to find out whether Charlie is really a she...but...my husband doesn't, he says we have been calling Charlie a girl since we got her and it would be weird if she is a boy...what do you think...The reason I picked the name Charlie is because it can work for either sex so we wouldn't have to change her name.

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
If Charlie were mine, I'd like to know. I mean if she's already going in for blood work, might as well find out the gender. :)

I won't tell you to do it, and then not tell your husband the results, cause you will most likely slip if she happens to be a be(come) a boy. ;)

getwozzy

Feb 26, 2013
Oregon
I, personally, would just go ahead and do the DNA test as well- I'm not sure what your AVet charges, but mine was only about $40.

OP
ParkersMom

ParkersMom

Jan 18, 2013
Nashville TN
Parrots
I think the vet said it was 60

OP
ParkersMom

ParkersMom

Jan 18, 2013
Nashville TN
Parrots
Yeah I thought about that Wendy.... but im not good at keeping things like that a secret. ..lol

thekarens

Sep 29, 2013
I'm another one who would want to know. Besides, the information is helpful for the vet with any health issues.

OP
ParkersMom

ParkersMom

Jan 18, 2013
Nashville TN
Parrots
He says it would be strange to find out she is a boy...he says we should just keep assuming she is a girl...I kind of get that but I really want to know as well...

OP
ParkersMom

ParkersMom

Jan 18, 2013
Nashville TN
Parrots
Ill probably get it done...just wondering what everyone thought.... Wendy after all I've spent on her 60 isnt really that much...lol

crimson

Oct 8, 2012
Media
Ontario,Canada
Parrots
Senegal-Martini,1 pineapple conure~ Kahlua,1 GCC~ Flare, spl/b, 4 Lovebirds Halo,Tye-Die,Luna,Violet,8 Cockatiels,Num Num&Tundra,8-Ball&Angus,Magnet&Sunkist,Pearl, Blush, 1 gouldian finch, 7 canaries
I do all of my dna testing, clip the end of the nail, put the blood onto a card, then send it in for testing...thru the company of your choice....done for $12.00, with 99.9% accuracy.

I know you have companies in the states that do the same thing.

btw, most vets use the same companies ;)

OP
ParkersMom

ParkersMom

Jan 18, 2013
Nashville TN
Parrots
I can't touch her so I wouldn't be able to do it myself

crimson

Oct 8, 2012
Media
Ontario,Canada
Parrots
Senegal-Martini,1 pineapple conure~ Kahlua,1 GCC~ Flare, spl/b, 4 Lovebirds Halo,Tye-Die,Luna,Violet,8 Cockatiels,Num Num&Tundra,8-Ball&Angus,Magnet&Sunkist,Pearl, Blush, 1 gouldian finch, 7 canaries
we towel most of my birds, or wear gloves.....or both ;)
depending on the bird
two people are needed, one to gently restrain, and the other to clip the end of the nail.

truthfully, if I had to dna a bird your size, for peace of mind I'd get the vet to do it, lol.

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
You know bird fair is coming and Dr Scott MacDonald will be there to do the sexing. But the wait line is longggggg as you know.....

OP
ParkersMom

ParkersMom

Jan 18, 2013
Nashville TN
Parrots
Yeah im not sure about taking her to a bird fair...not sure if its worth the risk

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
I don't blame you for not wanting to take the risk. That's why I rather do the nails myself then taking them there or pay more at the vets to have them done.

BoomBoom

May 2, 2012
Parrots
Boomer (Sun Conure 9 yrs), Pewpew (Budgie 5 yrs), Ulap (Budgie 2 yrs), Eight & Kiki (Beloved Budgies, RIP)
If I were you, I'd get it done as well. If your husband doesn't want to know, keep it between you and Charlie only! :D

Most Reactions

Latest posts