What to expect/plan for the vet?

Majora

Mar 16, 2022
Parrots
Majora
Ocarina
Hello! To get straight to the point, Iā€™m an anxious mess, and worried about taking my birds to the vet soon. Nothing scary at the moment, just have some concerns of Majoraā€™s recent change in behaviour that I want to rule out isnā€™t caused by pain or illness! Iā€™ve never taken my birds to the vet, as I rely off my parents to pay and take me. Iā€™ve been anxious because Iā€™ve heard many horror stories of birds dying from stress, and Iā€™m scared that it will happen to me. Before I ask anything, I have found an avian vet and have checked high and low to make sure theyā€™re certified :).

I have a few questions Iā€™d like answered for their first checkup:

Even if one bird is getting a check up, should I bring my other bird for support?

How do I make sure they wonā€™t freak out during the car ride, or at the vet?

Is there anything I should prepare for with my birds?

And anything else you can think of, Iā€™d like as much support and info please! šŸ„ŗ thank you šŸ’•

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
A crossover Quaker Scuti (F), A Sun conure named AC, A Cinnamon Green Cheek conure Kent, and 6 budgies, Scuti Jr. (f), yellow (m), clark Jr. (m), Dot (f), Zebra(f), Machine (m).
Hello! To get straight to the point, Iā€™m an anxious mess, and worried about taking my birds to the vet soon. Nothing scary at the moment, just have some concerns of Majoraā€™s recent change in behaviour that I want to rule out isnā€™t caused by pain or illness! Iā€™ve never taken my birds to the vet, as I rely off my parents to pay and take me. Iā€™ve been anxious because Iā€™ve heard many horror stories of birds dying from stress, and Iā€™m scared that it will happen to me. Before I ask anything, I have found an avian vet and have checked high and low to make sure theyā€™re certified :).

I have a few questions Iā€™d like answered for their first checkup:

Even if one bird is getting a check up, should I bring my other bird for support?

How do I make sure they wonā€™t freak out during the car ride, or at the vet?

Is there anything I should prepare for with my birds?

And anything else you can think of, Iā€™d like as much support and info please! šŸ„ŗ thank you šŸ’•
1) You can bring the other bird but it's not going to be supportive or helpful....the bird being looked at won't give an ef.

2) If you can get in the carrier thats 99% of the battle, let the vet get the bird out of the carrier... the AVN is the bad guy, don't associate yourself in the visit. Do not get the bird out to give to the AVN.

3) have some water and some millet in the carrier.

4) write down thier weight so you can track it yourself. 65grams 100grams etc. Thats about it. OH ask the vet toget a little bit of blood from the toe clipping so you can get the bird DNA sexed. for like 14 dollars.

onamom

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
May 9, 2022
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ona: Dilute Green Cheek Conure
Good luck at the vet! It can be stressful but I think youā€™ll find your babies will adapt and recover well. Iā€™d expect them to be a little tired after the visit but otherwise they should be back to normal by the next day.

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
A crossover Quaker Scuti (F), A Sun conure named AC, A Cinnamon Green Cheek conure Kent, and 6 budgies, Scuti Jr. (f), yellow (m), clark Jr. (m), Dot (f), Zebra(f), Machine (m).
Actually they get back to normal within like an hour once they are back home...

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Its a good idea to get a base line exam of your parrots when they are feeling good, so the vet will have something to compare to if they get sick. My Salty goes 1x a year for general check up. He's been to his vet lots of times, no particular issues. The vet likes him a lot, calls him "Amazon light". If the car ride seems to stress them try letting them see out the windows to see the scenery - the random movement of a car, without seeing the passing stuff can be disorienting even for people. Night time is different, they dont understand whizzing by lights, so I cover Salty or turn on a interior light for him.

Most Reactions

Latest posts