What to feed pigeons

MilitaryBrat

Aug 21, 2011
What do pigeons eat? I found an injured pigeon the other day and it isn't gonna be able to be set free again because its feet are hurt. I've read some places that they can eat pellets and I've read some places that its too hard for them. So what should I feed him?I have Zupreem fruit pellets that I've been giving him cause my other birds eat it and I've given some bird seed.

OP
M

MilitaryBrat

Aug 21, 2011
Pigeon and Dove seeds...something like this:
Hagen Pigeon & Dove Seed Wild Bird Food

How's your pretty Rock Pigeon doing today??? I've been anxiously following that thread. :eek:

And looky...maybe this will come in handy for you. :)
Pet Pigeon Care - Pigeon-Talk

Okay thanks! And he's doing so good now! I'm so happy that I just happened to see him there. I'm not sure if you saw my last post but he can't move his toes so therefore he can't perch on anything or grab anythig with them so I don't realy wanna let him loose cause he'll probably just die.I'm trying to learn all I can aout pigeons right now and I'm gonna go but him some pigeon food today :)

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
Okay thanks! And he's doing so good now! I'm so happy that I just happened to see him there. I'm not sure if you saw my last post but he can't move his toes so therefore he can't perch on anything or grab anythig with them so I don't realy wanna let him loose cause he'll probably just die.I'm trying to learn all I can aout pigeons right now and I'm gonna go but him some pigeon food today :)

Yes, I saw what you wrote about his toes. Poor fellow. :( He is SO unbelievably lucky that you found him.

I honestly have no clue what could have caused his toes to become ...paralyzed??? Does it look like they were injured in any way?

I truly wish you continued success with your new found friend. :)

OP
M

MilitaryBrat

Aug 21, 2011

Yes, I saw what you wrote about his toes. Poor fellow. :( He is SO unbelievably lucky that you found him.

I honestly have no clue what could have caused his toes to become ...paralyzed??? Does it look like they were injured in any way?

I truly wish you continued success with your new found friend. :)

No they don't look injured or anything and I can bend them myself but he isn't able to bend them on his own.

Yeah I was in the car with my mom and we were actually late meeting someone someplace but I made her turn around and he spent about an hour or 2 in our small car trash can with me carrying it into a store and everything lol But it was worth it. I still hope he isn't sick or anything because his poop is still dark green and white. Hopefully its just something he ate right before I found him cause he seems fine other than that.Definitely not as tired as he was before.

OP
M

MilitaryBrat

Aug 21, 2011
Oh I have one more question.Is seeds good for pigeons?Like pellets are better for parrots than seeds so is there something Thats better for pigeons than seeds?

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
Oh I have one more question.Is seeds good for pigeons?Like pellets are better for parrots than seeds so is there something Thats better for pigeons than seeds?

I've never kept pigeons, but my sister's father in law used to keep, breed AND race them (in Germany...back in the 80s). Of course back then little was heard of pellets, and he certainly NEVER fed them to his huge flock...but here's what I found for you:

The Pro's and Con's of Pigeon Pellets

I truly hope it helps. I truly think it's TERRIFIC how you are caring for your new friend.

Have you named him/her yet??? :D

Most Reactions

Latest posts