What’re your favorite foods (or drinks)?

Rico_Tiel

Oct 21, 2022
Media
Ur mom’s car
Parrots
Ricochet - Cockatiel
Cricket - Budgie
It can be anything safe to consume, really! Candy, snacks, weird food combinations, meals, drinks, anything!

I’ll go first! I like sharp cheddar cheese and mayo sandwiches. It’s soo good omgggg 😩 I also love salt and vinegar chips! What do you like?

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
Comfort food.
Biscuits and gravy (with bacon gravy not sausage).
Mac and cheese.

my grandmother had a special recipe for biscuits and gravy that she passed along.
I can make it but I am not good at scaling it up for more than 2 people.

I enjoy cooking breakfast things (pancakes omelette) and just made waffles this morning.
Lunch/dinner hamburger helper is more my style.

OP
Rico_Tiel

Rico_Tiel

Oct 21, 2022
Media
Ur mom’s car
Parrots
Ricochet - Cockatiel
Cricket - Budgie
Comfort food.
Mac and cheese.

my grandmother had a special recipe for biscuits and gravy that she passed along.

I enjoy cooking breakfast things (pancakes omelette) and just made waffles this morning.
That all sounds so good!! Mac and cheese is a god tier food, tbhhhh 😩

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
Comfort food.
Mac and cheese.

I'm a really good cook but hamburger helper is great stuff!
After you've had my homemade Mac and Cheese you will never eat the boxed crap again.
Real mashed potatoes are heavenly.
Fried whole belly clams in crumbs not batter.
French fries with chicken gravy. Yum.
Hot dogs, especially the red ones. Who cares what they're made of- they ROCK!

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
After you've had my homemade Mac and Cheese you will never eat the boxed crap again.
Rico-tiel, please tell me you are not permanently changing your avatar to The Huntah when you have such wonderful pictures of your birds! Use the painting you did of Cricket- It's so good!

OP
Rico_Tiel

Rico_Tiel

Oct 21, 2022
Media
Ur mom’s car
Parrots
Ricochet - Cockatiel
Cricket - Budgie
Surprisingly, I have never heard of a few of these foods! And my family has a noticeable southern influence (I’m assuming some of these foods are southern, just because I think my friend, who has a very southern background, eats similar foods, but please forgive me if I am incorrect.) from my grandparents and great grandparents.

The ones I recognize are hot dogs, Mac and cheese, French fries, and mashed taters. Hamburger helper sounds familiar but I’m not entirely sure. The rest I’ve never heard of!

What is fried belly clam like? I’d assume it’s pretty salty… in case I haven’t had hamburger helper, what does it taste like? Hamburger? In my short time existing on this globe, chicken gravy has never been mentioned nor brought up until now… is it like brown gravy?

OP
Rico_Tiel

Rico_Tiel

Oct 21, 2022
Media
Ur mom’s car
Parrots
Ricochet - Cockatiel
Cricket - Budgie
Rico-tiel, please tell me you are not permanently changing your avatar to The Huntah when you have such wonderful pictures of your birds! Use the painting you did of Cricket- It's so good!
It’s not permanent, since I usually switch my pfps around when I get bored lol, but using the Cricket painting is a good idea! Thank you!

Also, you called the hunter, Huntah! :0 omg you’re chillll 💅

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
It’s not permanent, since I usually switch my pfps around when I get bored lol, but using the Cricket painting is a good idea! Thank you!

Also, you called the hunter, Huntah! :0 omg you’re chillll 💅
I live in Maine. A true native Mainer (Mainah) always drops unnecessary Rs at the end of words and replaces them with Hs. Plus that's the way you've been spelling it and I notice these things.

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
Surprisingly, I have never heard of a few of these foods! And my family has a noticeable southern influence (I’m assuming some of these foods are southern, just because I think my friend, who has a very southern background, eats similar foods, but please forgive me if I am incorrect.) from my grandparents and great grandparents.

The ones I recognize are hot dogs, Mac and cheese, French fries, and mashed taters. Hamburger helper sounds familiar but I’m not entirely sure. The rest I’ve never heard of!

What is fried belly clam like? I’d assume it’s pretty salty… in case I haven’t had hamburger helper, what does it taste like? Hamburger? In my short time existing on this globe, chicken gravy has never been mentioned nor brought up until now… is it like brown gravy?
Hamburger Helper is EVERYWHERE. It comes in a box which contains a seasoning packet and noodles of some sort. Add a pound of ground beef and follow the instructions and you get Cheeseburger Macaroni or another of their 20 flavors.
French Fries with Chicken Gravy (kinda like turkey gravy) is a French Canadian thing similar to Poutine (look it up) which is french fries and fried cheese curds covered in gravy.
Whole belly fried clams are small fresh soft shelled clams local to New England coastal waters, shucked and dipped in milk then bread crumbs and deep fried. Not to be confused with fried clams strips which taste like fried rubber bands. Some folks don't like to eat the belly of the clams because they think it's gross but it's not at all. Most of the flavor is in the belly. You really can't get them outside of New England because the clams they use don't ship well.
The secret to my Mac and Cheese is starting with a roux and adding Velveeta and some other semi-soft mild grate4r3 cheese tomatoes.

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
Al
Hamburger Helper is EVERYWHERE. It comes in a box which contains a seasoning packet and noodles of some sort. Add a pound of ground beef and follow the instructions and you get Cheeseburger Macaroni or another of their 20 flavors.
French Fries with Chicken Gravy (kinda like turkey gravy) is a French Canadian thing similar to Poutine (look it up) which is french fries and fried cheese curds covered in gravy.
Whole belly fried clams are small fresh soft shelled clams local to New England coastal waters, shucked and dipped in milk then bread crumbs and deep fried. Not to be confused with fried clams strips which taste like fried rubber bands. Some folks don't like to eat the belly of the clams because they think it's gross but it's not at all. Most of the flavor is in the belly. You really can't get them outside of New England because the clams they use don't ship well.
The secret to my Mac and Cheese is starting with a roux and adding Velveeta and some other semi-soft mild grate4r3 cheese tomatoes.
Canned crushed tomatoes in the Mac and Cheese and make sure you make a lot of the cheese sauce because the elbows absorb a lot of the moisture in the sauce so if you don't use enough sauce it can get too dry.

OP
Rico_Tiel

Rico_Tiel

Oct 21, 2022
Media
Ur mom’s car
Parrots
Ricochet - Cockatiel
Cricket - Budgie
I live in Maine. A true native Mainer (Mainah) always drops unnecessary Rs at the end of words and replaces them with Hs. Plus that's the way you've been spelling it and I notice these things.
Ah, I see! So, wait… natives to Maine sound like New Yorkers? Or do they sound like Coach?

I spell it the way Coach says it lol “I hear a Huntah!” “HUNTAH!” “CRAZY LEGS!”

OP
Rico_Tiel

Rico_Tiel

Oct 21, 2022
Media
Ur mom’s car
Parrots
Ricochet - Cockatiel
Cricket - Budgie
Oh, I might’ve had something like that… is there a type called cheesy Italian shells? If so, I LOVE that stuff! Especially without the hamburger (hamburger is really off putting due to the texture. I’m more of a fish kinda gal lol)

Oh, poutine! My brother loves that stuff! I’m scared of cheese curds so I haven’t even dared to try it, but I’m familiar. Does the shape of the curd still stay when fried? Or does it look weird still?

The comparison to the rubber band had me wheezing and idk why lmao
So, when the clam belly is fried, does it get crispy and crunchy? Or is it kind of like mildly undercooked fried chicken..? What’s the flavor like?

Omg wait, you’re sharing your secret recipe? WHAT! But- but what about the magician’s code?
Al

Canned crushed tomatoes in the Mac and Cheese and make sure you make a lot of the cheese sauce because the elbows absorb a lot of the moisture in the sauce so if you don't use enough sauce it can get too dry.
I learned this lesson the hard way lol. When I made Mac and cheese from scratch a month ago, I absolutely nuked it by making too little cheese sauce, and it turned out to be an absolute monstrosity! Make double the amount of cheese while stirring the Mac was annoying but once it came together, it wasn’t too bad… canned tomaters sounds like it wouldn’t mix well with Mac and cheeese, but i said the same thing about cheese and mayo sandwiches and ended up loving it. I’ll give your recipe a shot later, if we have canned tmaters in the garage!

Most Reactions