What's Gizmo up to

camo

Jun 30, 2014
Parrots
Gizmo - Male Eclectus Parrot

Pebbles - Female Eclectus Parrot
Hey all,

So Gizmo has been doing this dance lately, (only on my wife's arm) and unfortunately also started trying to nip at her.

[ame="http://youtu.be/gReg6CAFSl0"]What's Gizmo up to? - YouTube[/ame]

I'm wondering if this is something hormonal?? My wife has always been his favourite, but it's also like he doesn't know what to do when with her. He will fly to her and then sits staring at her, if she sends him back, he loops around and will fly back. He will rarely take food from her, or a toy, and has even now started trying to nip her finger if she offers it to him, basically he just wants to be with her and stare at her, and lately will just do this dance and then try to nip at her hand or arm, she has been rolling her arm to prevent this. With me, he will happily take food, play with a toy, use me like a perch, etc, and is unlikely to bite me.

The nipping is really making her frustrated (understandably). He tends to be a bit of a bully with Pebbles (our female eclectus). It's almost like he is trying to treat my wife like he does with Pebbles

Any thoughts? Is this kind of dance something others have seen, if so is it the dance of love?:eek:

Cheers,

Cameron

Last edited:

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
I promise, I didn't mean to, Cameron, but when reading "...is it the dance of love", I cracked up laughing.

Yes, it sure does resemble THAT dance to me. :54: Gizmo appears to be trying to find a spot to show your wife just HOW affectionate he can be/wants to be.

OP
camo

camo

Jun 30, 2014
Parrots
Gizmo - Male Eclectus Parrot

Pebbles - Female Eclectus Parrot
I promise, I didn't mean to, Cameron, but when reading "...is it the dance of love", I cracked up laughing.

Haha, I was looking for the most polite way of saying it as possible, but I'm glad it gave you a chuckle. I'm guessing a discussion about monogamy and messing around with a married woman isn't going to work with an Eclectus, it probably doesn't help that my wife has red hair:D.

Seriously though he lost shoulder privileges with my wife early on, when he decided he would try to nip at her cheek:mad: (that was then end of her trust for him to be on the shoulder). So this means the only place he is allowed on her, is the arm, so this is a problem now.

I'm guessing like regurgitating this is to be discouraged, but as he does this the second he lands on her arm, does this mean for now the recommended course of action is to send him back the second he starts (which will pretty much be as soon as he lands and gets settled)?

I'm keeping it a bit lighthearted, but the reality is this is making it very difficult for my wife to interact with him. Any thoughts, suggestions on how to proceed would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers,

Cameron

Taw5106

Mar 27, 2014
Texas
Parrots
Buddy - Red Crowned Amazon (27 yo)
Venus - Solomon Island Eclectus (4 yo)
Buzz CAG (2 yo)
Sam - Cockatiel 1997 - 2004
Tweety - Budgie 1984 - 1987
Sweety - Budgie 1985 - 1986
I put Venus back in her cage when she starts regurging or getting "matey". Her cage is open so she will climb out and play with her toys. After a bit I'll get her out again and repeat when and if she starts again. This has helped because it distracts her from what she was doing and she has greatly improved.

Good luck with your live in player, lol!!!

Most Reactions

Latest posts