When the vet doesnt know best!

OrnithAudrey

May 26, 2015
Katy, TX
Parrots
At home: Clover- Alexandrine, Sage- Moustache parakeet
At work: Rio- Hyacinth macaw, Major- Major Mitchell's cockatoo, Fruit Loop- Keel-billed toucan, Bayju- Black palm cockatoo
Such a shame. I'm sorry y'all had to go through that. I've worked in and out of vet clinics since I was 17 and currently work as a tech again. FWIW, do not ever be afraid to question your vet. I see it happen everyday. Owners come in and go through with costly, unnecessary and even dangerous procedures, all because, "the vet said so." Nobody knows your companions as well as you do. Trust your instincts. And please, don't be afraid to ask the tech for advice!

OP
SilverSage

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
Eclectus, CAG, BH Pionus, Maximilian’s Pionus, Quakers, Indian Ringnecks, Green Cheeked Conures, Black Capped Conures, Cockatiels, Lovebirds, Budgies, Canaries, Diamond Doves, Zebra Finches, Society F
Yes, she was with the "F" clinic, and still is one day a week

This clinic has several vets who see birds, a lot of birds from what I can tell, but no certified avian vets.

Yes, I use Waipahu Waikele and think they do well, eve without certification. They are also more affordable, though the "F" clinic has done right by me in the past.

No, I do NOT believe the death was due to the restraint or stress thereof. The week before the bird was restrained by the same skilled person and got her nails done, had blood drawn, and her vent swabbed for tests and seemed to barely notice. There is no way this was Ariel's fault.

Allee

Oct 27, 2013
Media
Texas
Parrots
U2-Poppy(Poppy lives with her new mommy, Misty now) CAG-Jack, YNA, Bingo, Budgie-Piper, Cockatiel-Sweet Pea Quakers-Harry, Sammy, Wilson ***Zeke (quaker) Twinkle (budgie) forever in our hearts
I'm so sorry for your loss of Lemoncito, Dear Ladies, and I'm horrified you had to witness the tragedy. You were doing everything possible to better the lives of these birds, you did nothing wrong.

Like all professionals, veterinarians are merely human, no matter what their credentials imply. Your pet's best interest should always be of foremost importance to any professional, be it a veterinarian, an assistant, a groomer, a trainer, etc, unfortunately that isn't always the case.

OP
SilverSage

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
Eclectus, CAG, BH Pionus, Maximilian’s Pionus, Quakers, Indian Ringnecks, Green Cheeked Conures, Black Capped Conures, Cockatiels, Lovebirds, Budgies, Canaries, Diamond Doves, Zebra Finches, Society F
Lemoncito was in the process of moving from one home to the other. About 10 years or more earlier, a family had left them to pet sit, and never returned for her or her friend. My friend, "D" cared for them. Since D had to cut back for medical reasons, she was sending Lemoncito home with T to be her new service animal, and T was quite attached. When she died, T dissolved into tears, and D, also crying (as we all were) focused on comforting T and making sure she knew that Lemoncito knew how loved she was, etc. she said she would mourn later, alone, more freely, and focused on T.

Most Reactions