OP
tlouiselle

tlouiselle

Mar 9, 2011
Florida
Parrots
Stewie- Eclectus

Oscar-Black capped Conure-RIP my baby
Well...today we drove 2.5 hours to the rescue to meet Sammy. The rescue was amazing. Birds flying around everywhere. So friendly. I would love a place like this. It turned out that Sammy did not like us. He bit me four times and drew blood. We fell in love with another cockatoo. He is an umbrella cockatoo who is SUCH a lover. Just wants to cuddle with everybody. The lady who fostered him said he slept in bed all ofthe time with her daughter for hours. We were concerned about his noise level as they can all be loud. They assured us that he was not a screamer. We were there for about 4 hours and never heard him make a peep. On the way home he decided to let us know what he is made of. He let out this non stop ear piercing scream that was hard to stop. He had to go into a bird pet store that has cockatoos all of the time. They were shocked by his screams. He keeps doing it here at home unless I am petting him. Our dogs have been hiding under the sofa for 3 hours now and will not eat. He will not stop screaming to sleep. Sadly, we are in an apartment for a few more months and can not risk his noise level during his adjustment period :-( We are going to have to take him back tomorrow. Poor Stewie. He is such a sweetheart and is everything we want in a bird.

Molcan2

Jul 19, 2011
Lake Co., Florida
Parrots
Princess Rome- Moluccan Cockatoo (18yrs old), Rosie - Galah/Rose Breasted Cockatoo (2yr old)
Its unfortunate that you cant give him more time. These guys are sensitive birds and can take a little longer to adjust. :( I hope you guys find one that suits you.

OP
tlouiselle

tlouiselle

Mar 9, 2011
Florida
Parrots
Stewie- Eclectus

Oscar-Black capped Conure-RIP my baby
This morning he was so wonderful. He came out of the cage and said "hi" then rested his head on my shoulder. He was such a butterball. He came in the living room with me and was playing and laughing with us. He was a complete prince. I know he just needed a week or two to adjust. We just can't risk it here in an apartment. He let out one quick scream when a car passed us while we drove him back. Other than that he just snuggled with us the whole time. We were tempted to even ask the rescue if we could board him for a few months until we move because he is PERFECT. However, the rescue is 2.5 hours away so we owuldn't be able to visit him. It wouldn't have been fair to him. SO I let him go back while I was in tears. This experience just made me fall in love with cockatoos even more. The owner of the rescue said when we are ready she will help us find the perfect bird. I can't wait!!!! I feel so bad for Sky though. He keeps calling for Stewie (the cockatoo) now. I am thinking of adopting a parakeet or cockatiel to keep him company. I love them too. HOWEVER, when we are ready for a cockatoo...if the cockatoo is friendly with other birds (which would be a must)...is it safe to leave them out of their cages (supervised of course). Or is it too risky due to the size difference?

Most Reactions