Where to go from here...

tlouiselle

Mar 9, 2011
Florida
Parrots
Stewie- Eclectus

Oscar-Black capped Conure-RIP my baby
We had a horrible weekend. We lost our beloved Oscar to a relatives dog. I am so angry and upset. He can never be replaced. The house is too quiet now without his happy singing. Traces of him remain everywhere I look. I can't even bring myself to clean his cage.

As sad as I am I must think about the other baby, Sky. He is a 16 week old IRN. He just sits on their stand quietly when he used to try to sing while Oscar would talk all day. When it was showertime they would always go with me and sit on top of the shower. This was the loud singing and dancing time. Now Sky just calls for Oscar and wanders over to his spot on the shower to look for him. Then he keeps calling for him.

Though Oscar can never be replaced I know there are so many wonderful birds out there who need new homes. A new feathered kid would help distract me from this sadness. I am torn as to what to get. I want what is best for Sky. He likes the company of other birds but is not too playful with them. A bird who is not too busy would be better for him. I would either like to get: another IRN, or a cockatoo. I have always been in love with cockatoos and feel that I am ready to take on the responsabilities of one. I work from home so they are out of their cages all day everyday. I am thinking about a lesser sulpher crested or a citron...

Input from other people would be WONDERFUL right now. What are people's thought about the cockatoos? They are definately my dream bird and I love how they cuddle and dance... however I know they require much more attention than an average unspoiled IRN ;)

suncon97

Jul 31, 2011
Parrots
Pearl-African Grey-Hatched Apr. 28,2011
I'm so sorry what happened:(I can't even imagine how you must feel. It's up to you but I would rather go with a cockatoo. But whatever you decide is best:) I just love the curious look of a cockatoo. Once again sorry to hear but good luck in whatever you decide to get:white1:

Rio Mom

Apr 7, 2011
Pennsylvania
Parrots
River - Green Cheek
Conure/
Pepper - Congo African Grey/

Rest in Peace Rio
I'm so sorry for your loss. You and your family have my sympathy. :(

Leahzebelle

Aug 7, 2011
Vancouver, WA.
Parrots
1 Goffins Cockatoo. 1 Green Cheek Conure. 3 Parakeets.
I got a lump in my throat just reading your post. :( I have a GCC, and his personality lights up the household on a daily basis. I've also lost a feather baby, after only having him for a few days, and i was a wreck for days. I can only imagine how you feel. You definitely can't replace your angel, but you can provide another one with a loving home.

mele

Jul 26, 2011
California
Parrots
Lotty- Umbrella Cockatoo,
Scarlet- Scarlet Macaw,
Paco- Lilac Amazon, Josh-blue front amazon
Truly sorry for the loss of your beloved Oscar. My thoughts are with you.

xreinx

May 24, 2011
Alaska
Parrots
-no parrots yet-
I do have two cats -Riply & Nano bites-
four snakes- china, dip & stick, and Grand Chahee-
I am sorry for your loss.. I too went threw my shair of animals and each one rips out your heart, your never really whole after.

But I do have to ask, are you ready for another bird? I know the thought behind filling that gap... but you need alittle time to cope... I myself just lost my two rattins ... I have other animals but.. I feel each of their loss every time I look at their tank, I still cant think about getting any more pets and its been about a month.

upcgirl

Jun 28, 2011
MO
Parrots
Max--Senegal

RIP Ricco--Mexican Red Head Amazon
Awwwwww..... I am sooo sooooo soooooo sorry for your loss!!!! I lost my Amazon this last June. I wasn't prepared to get another bird. I figured maybe fall or winter I would get another bird. I was looking at various pages online about various species and finding myself looking at Craigslists and I asked about this Senegal. I told the lady point-blank that I just lost a bird, I wasn't looking to adopt... but it just all came together.

Hopefully, a bird that needs you as much as you need it will land in your nest soon :)

JensFlock

Jul 31, 2011
South Carolina
Parrots
Eclectus,
Blue Crowned Conure,
Quaker,
Lineolated Parakeet,
Diamond Dove,
Star Finch,
Spice Finch
I'm so sorry to hear about your loss. It's always so hard to lose a loved one.
I have a sulpher crested cockatoo and an IRN. I would say go with either one. My cockatoo was never spoiled as a baby, so he loves attention, but he's not clingy. I think a bird will come along that is meant for you and you will know it immediately.

Molcan2

Jul 19, 2011
Lake Co., Florida
Parrots
Princess Rome- Moluccan Cockatoo (18yrs old), Rosie - Galah/Rose Breasted Cockatoo (2yr old)
I am so sorry for your loss :( . I cant imagine how hard it is for you right now.

As far as cockatoos go, have you ever thought about a Goffins? They have the most adorable personalities and they are very entertaining. Also I think they are a good size with you IRN and they are not as demanding as ... well the others.

Mayden

Apr 22, 2010
UK.
Parrots
Merlin & Charlie (Senegals)
RIP Oscar.

I rushed into getting three birds to try and ease the pain of Wonsy dying, Merlin is the only one that has come close and she passed away over a year ago now. If you're considering, please please make sure you feel ready for it and arn't doing it just to fill the void he's left. I did that with both my hens and as much as I love them, I know I got them for the wrong reasons.

HRH Di

Jan 9, 2010
Media
McKinney, TX
Parrots
Max - Alexandrine, Jade - Red-Front Macaw, Ruby - CAG
I'm so sorry!

Cockatoos are great birds, but, my experience with them has taught me that they are LOTS of work, even for a parrot.

OP
tlouiselle

tlouiselle

Mar 9, 2011
Florida
Parrots
Stewie- Eclectus

Awww thank you everyone. You are all so wonderful. No bird can ever replace my Oscar. Just as he could never replaced any of my other pets that had to say goodbye to. He was such a special little bird though. The happiest bird I have ever seen. He was our baby.

I will not rush into another bird by any means. The right one will come along. When was 23 I had to put my childhood dog down. My family made it my desicion and it was the hardest thing I had ever had to do. She had been my best friend since I was 7 years old. I was so broken up about it. Wouldn't you know that in the middle of winter, two days after she was gone, a kitty showed up on our doorstep. He was skin and bone so he was shivering from the cold. Of course I took him in (my parents had no choice). Having another animal that needed me helped me so much. I still have him and I call him my "fur angel" because he helped me get through such a tough time.

The right bird will find its way to us just as my kitty did :) We have been talking to rescues and will be meeting some soon. We will know if it is the right bird :) I am not worried about the maintenance of a cockatoo. I work from home. They are never in their cages unless we are gone or sleeping. They have a huge playgym on the lanai. Of course that was not enough for me so I had to make it even bigger my adding another one and connecters to it :) They come in and play with us all evening until it is time for bed. We just love them.

Molcan2

Jul 19, 2011
Lake Co., Florida
Parrots
Princess Rome- Moluccan Cockatoo (18yrs old), Rosie - Galah/Rose Breasted Cockatoo (2yr old)
If your home all the time and are fine with having a demanding bird run your house, then I think a Cockatoo would suit you. I LOVE mine, but she is a lot of work (I spend a lot of time at home during the day, so she fits with my schedule). If you are looking to rescue and can handle a Cockatoo then by all means go get one, it sad that there are so many in rescue :(. I'm sorry again for you loss of Oscar.

OP
tlouiselle

tlouiselle

Mar 9, 2011
Florida
Parrots
Stewie- Eclectus

Molcan- I am in Land O Lakes. I know exactly where Eustis is. My boyfriend's parents have a lakehouse over there. I LOVE moluccans! I think they are so beautiful. I am worried that one would be too large to me compatible with Sky. We are going to take a day trip tomorrow and meet this boy:

Petfinder Adoptable Parrot | Cockatoo | Melbourne Beach, FL | Sammy

We have been in contact with the rescue and this guy sounds wonderful. They said he is a clown, sweet, quiet (comapred to the traditional cockatoo noise level), gets along with other birds, and a cuddle bug. The problem is he is in love with another cockatoo in their rescue so I will feel so bad taking him away from her :-(

Molcan2

Jul 19, 2011
Lake Co., Florida
Parrots
Hmmm....get em both?:52: Just kidding (I don't know if I personally would ever own more than one Cockatoo at a time...unless fate decided otherwise). He is cute, good luck meeting him. Keep us posted and let us know how it turns out.

Molcan2

Jul 19, 2011
Lake Co., Florida
Parrots
Of coarse you know it will be the right one, when it feels like the right one but if it helps any, in Romeo's previous home they had a Conure that would groom her all day and follow her around everywhere she went (he died of an unfortunate household accident a few years before me getting Romeo). Don't discredit size but be careful when introducing them.

Most Reactions