Where to start?

Starlit_Night

Sep 9, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Aleta - Pineapple GCC (Hatch date July 2 2013), Fry & Sprite - Budgies
I've had Aleta for a week now, and I feel like its time to start training. She is quite comfortable with us, I think she is ready.

She came from the breeder knowing "step up". So what is next?

I plan on clicker training, but I am having trouble figuring out what food to use. There doesnt seem to be anything in particular that she loves (except the ice cream she stole from me when she took an adventurous climb off the back of the couch). She doesnt seem very fond of sunflower seeds, as I've heard lots are. She didn't seem too impressed. Any other suggestions of what I can try?

Lastly - I find she isnt using her feet picking up things, but I see her standing on one foot and opening and closing her fingers/toes (No idea what to call them!?) What can I do to encourage her to start playing with her foot toys?

Thanks,
Christine

Last edited:

gizzygirl

Jul 23, 2013
MO
Parrots
Ayla, Jondalar (tiels), Lucy ( BG macaw), Phoenix (Camilla macaw), n Gizmo, Annie (Goffin toos)
Pumpkin seeds

OP
Starlit_Night

Starlit_Night

Sep 9, 2013
Parrots
Thanks guys. Appreciate the treat suggestions. I will pick some up this week. We tried this evening and she seemed to enjoy uncooked quinoa. Maybe that'sthe answer.

Christine

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
You can also try millet, nuts, dried fruits.

OP
Starlit_Night

Starlit_Night

Sep 9, 2013
Parrots
She does love a good rasin, but she can suck on one for up to an hour. Kind of puts a lull in the training session. :p

What about what to train? Is there a normal progression of what to teach a bird? With a dog you wouldn't go from "sit" to "play dead" instantly. Usually there is the common commands you would teach first - Sit, Lay down, Stay etc.

So before I start teaching her advanced mathamatics, is there something more simple I should try first? :D

Thanks,
Christine

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Turn around, wave, shake head yes/no, spread wings open, place an object into a cup...

This may be a good read. It shows how to break a behavior down in many steps.

Trick Training your Parrot

OP
Starlit_Night

Starlit_Night

Sep 9, 2013
Parrots
Perfect! That is exactly what I was wanting to know! And the website had some really good info too. Thanks for helping me out!

crimson

Oct 8, 2012
Media
Ontario,Canada
Parrots
Senegal-Martini,1 pineapple conure~ Kahlua,1 GCC~ Flare, spl/b, 4 Lovebirds Halo,Tye-Die,Luna,Violet,8 Cockatiels,Num Num&Tundra,8-Ball&Angus,Magnet&Sunkist,Pearl, Blush, 1 gouldian finch, 7 canaries
ha ha, I just noticed you were from Alberta, are you finding your pineapple is sweet??
I have one here too is just the sweetest thing, and sure does fly like a rocket!!
organic banana chips work wonders on my Jardine, but my conures LOVE organic sunflower seeds, or millet for training.

OP
Starlit_Night

Starlit_Night

Sep 9, 2013
Parrots
Yay for Canada! Now if only we were close enough to share info on which local stores are good!

Aleta is very sweet. She is exactly what I wanted in a bird. When she sees me for the first the first time in a day she instantly runs up under my chin for a cuddle. :) Totally makes my day.

Now when you say millet - are we talking spray millet for birds, or do you mean the people millet that I have seen in the grocery stores? Just curious. I didn't even know there was a people millet until I was looking training treats!

Christine

Calace

May 16, 2013
Newcastle, Australia
Parrots
GCC- Ollie 3.9.13.
Cockatiels- RIP Charlie 2012, Zac 2006.
Turn around, wave, shake head yes/no, spread wings open, place an object into a cup...

This may be a good read. It shows how to break a behavior down in many steps.

Trick Training your Parrot

Thanks for this link. It has some great tips! I am SO impatiently waiting for my baby to come home. I'm learning so much info on here but have no bird to use it on! :D When we visited the breeder the other day my husband was surprised when I mentioned that I could tell the birds had just been fed as their crops were full. He was like, "you really have been doing your research!" He thought I'd just been mucking around on the forum wasting time- well I intend for him to see the results of my "mucking around" once I get to start training!

senegalgray

Oct 6, 2013
Parrots
senegal
i use seeds and gray my senegal is amazing with it.

you have to know that she have to like the training food but most important is she like to do the training and love it. if you feel the bird dont want to do things just say good bird and leav her. good vibes and a lot of love go to good results. the bird need to love the trianind and you must stop the training befor the bird stop to listen to you, she need to wait and expect the next time of training :)
good luck :)

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Millet sprays or seeds!

Here's another good article. Talks more about what is reinforcing for the bird.

A Bit About Reinforcement | Lara Joseph

Keep in mind it is the bird that chooses the reinforcement.

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
Conures are the best trick training birds there are!

Most Reactions

Latest posts