Which Amazon species do you consider to ...

Gos

Nov 12, 2009
And the research continues...
Which Amazon species do you consider least likely to get aggressive?
Which Amazon species do you consider to be the most handleable?
Thanks,
Gos

OP
G

Gos

Nov 12, 2009
Wow. Please, not everyone at once....

Auggie's Dad

Administrator
Dec 28, 2007
Media
Albums
South Hadley MA
Parrots
Auggie: Dusky Conure
Wow... we do have some 'zon owners who should be able to chime in. Unfortunately I'm not one of them. I just don't know much about the differences between amazon species.

ScottinVentura

Nov 15, 2009
Ventura, CA
Parrots
Blue Front Amazon
All of them are equally likely to get aggressive with improper handling. All of them are equally handle-able with proper handling. It depends on you, and the relationship you develop with your bird.

dakisgirls

Sep 10, 2009
U.S.
Parrots
I have a blue and gold macaw along with an indian ringneck parakeet.
From the books I'e read, Double yellow headed amazons???? I think they are called are most likely to get aggressive. There have been many stories of them lunging at faces, and also they have a tendency to be possesive over one person during breeding season. I don't think an amazon is a good beginner bird (I don't know if you are a beginner or not but they are not good beginner birds in my opinion)

OP
G

Gos

Nov 12, 2009
Thanks for the responces.
I'm looking at either a blue fronted amazon, lilac amazon or even sever macaw just not sure which direction to go.
I've just about zero parrot experence but years of Falconry experence, so I understand reading birds, just not socal birds...
What I'm really hopign for is an older bird needing a good home. Adoption is fine, but often costing more than a young bird... Makes you wonder about the "adoption" thing...

Thanks again.

molly

Aug 24, 2009
I find most amazons bite. I have two. My African grey doesn't bite much, easier to distract those.
Saying that though, you know its like any animal, love them & understand them & they will love you back.
My best advice is to have a parrot from birth. They bond with you better.
My friend has a Macaw from birth, she can do absolutely everything with that bird, she even takes him on the bed with her & plays for hours with him.
Its time consuming, having to feed them every few hours but, very rewarding.

Molly.

Most Reactions

Latest posts