Which Harness?

Calace

May 16, 2013
Newcastle, Australia
Parrots
GCC- Ollie 3.9.13.
Cockatiels- RIP Charlie 2012, Zac 2006.
I am thinking about getting a harness so I have it ready to start training as soon as I get my green cheek. It would be very handy for when we go walking etc to be able to take him with us! After reading a few threads on here I'm not sure which one to get? Should I try the aviator or the leathers4feathers one? (available on eBay)
I'm concerned that the clips will make the leathers4feathers one too heavy for a little GCC but it looks far easier to put on than the aviator! Having said that, it will be mainly to stop us loosing him not for flight.

What do you guys think?

Echo

Dec 7, 2009
USA
Parrots
Green Cheek Conures, Crimson Conures, CAG, Pionus, Budgies, Goffin Cockatoo
For GCCs I have found that the bird diaper is lighter, and much easier to put on! (I have the aviator too but it is harder to fit to a small body). The bird put his feet through the bird diaper and its just a Velcro on the back.... Works great
[ame=http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00028LEB4]Small FlightSuit (Bird Diaper) w/Lanyard plus Flightliners:Amazon:pet Supplies[/ame]

You can also cut the end of it which would allow the bird to poop outside instead of in the suit (which is better for long walks!).

Echo

Dec 7, 2009
USA
Parrots
FlightSuits? Bird Diapers - Avian Fashions

On that site, there is a video from Pamperedpeeps Aviary on out to put it on a Green Cheek.

Actually, this video here is a better instructional one : [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DgjtIfb3ako"]How to put on a Junior Small Flight Suit - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited:

Mayden

Apr 22, 2010
UK.
Parrots
Merlin & Charlie (Senegals)
Velcro worries me with birds, I'm always worried it's just going to 'rip' open and then off they go!

And also the idea that if they poop, it's kept in the diaper. It's not like you can 'change' them when out and about because obviously there's the risk of them getting free. Unless I'm mistaken.

I'd opt for aviator. It is a pain, but gets easier when your birds become used to it. :)

Echo

Dec 7, 2009
USA
Parrots
Velcro worries me with birds, I'm always worried it's just going to 'rip' open and then off they go!

And also the idea that if they poop, it's kept in the diaper. It's not like you can 'change' them when out and about because obviously there's the risk of them getting free. Unless I'm mistaken.

I'd opt for aviator. It is a pain, but gets easier when your birds become used to it. :)

The Velcro is tough and it's a double Velcro because the leash also have one that you put in between the suits Velcro. Your GCC would have to be left unattended for hours to manage to escape. Btw do not leave them unattended in a flightsuit.

And as I mentioned, you can cut a hole where the vent is to allow them to poop outside. However for those who bring their bird where they shouldn't poop, like a store or whatever, you can have a extra one uncut. I put half a pantiliner in the suit so that I can just change that instead of washing the suit each time.

I only speak from my experience withy birds and I tried both (not to say the Aviator is bad, it just easier to use on my bigger guys).

Mayden- which one have you used?

Mayden

Apr 22, 2010
UK.
Parrots
Merlin & Charlie (Senegals)

The Velcro is tough and it's a double Velcro because the leash also have one that you put in between the suits Velcro. Your GCC would have to be left unattended for hours to manage to escape. Btw do not leave them unattended in a flightsuit.

And as I mentioned, you can cut a hole where the vent is to allow them to poop outside. However for those who bring their bird where they shouldn't poop, like a store or whatever, you can have a extra one uncut. I put half a pantiliner in the suit so that I can just change that instead of washing the suit each time.

I only speak from my experience withy birds and I tried both (not to say the Aviator is bad, it just easier to use on my bigger guys).

Mayden- which one have you used?

Aviator is definitely more finicky for the smaller guys. I got my budgie in one before, he looked cute, but it is hard!

I've used aviator and feather teather. I found feather teather much easier to use, but with the clasps I'd be worried about wandering beaks opening and accidently unhooking themselves!

I've never used flight suits just because the idea makes me so anxious, but you are probably right in that they're tough and durable etc! Flight suit/aviator/feather teather/etc, the bird shouldn't be left unsupervised!

Just with 'in flight' gear I'd be terrified of using something I wasn't 100% comfortable with. Bar Tab's incident with Fargo, I've never heard of a bad aviator harness event (that was down to manufacturing/proper use) so I'll always recommend it.

29444_10150174704140508_6001756_n.jpg
:)

kiwiS

Jun 27, 2013
Parrots
Kiwi Stardust - a green cheek conure
Hello! I use the flight suit on Kiwi when we go for walks in the park, and car rides - so far the velcro has stuck on tight. She did spook a couple of times and jumped off me fluttering, but I had the leash around my hand and she just hung there, flapping her wings in circles till I could calm her down. The flight suit and the leash held nice and didn't even loosen.

As for putting it on her, she is not too keen on that (she has no fear of my hands, so i wrap my fingers around her with my left hand, then use my right hand to wrap the flight suit around her wings, the shoulder straps naturally slip on, then I gently pull her wings out and wiggle the butt piece so her feet will naturally pop out and finally secure the velcro). After it's on she ruffles her feathers out, bites at it for a bit, then we go for a walk and she gets lots of treats to keep her distracted from this thing around her body. Hopefully in time she will learn to love it ^.^

I am going to get an aviator harness as well though, for when her flight feathers grow in, as I believe it has a longer leash. Will be nice for her to fly around in a bit in the park and get some fresh air !

That budgie is tooo cute!!

Kalidasa

May 8, 2013
Media
Michigan
Parrots
1 green cheek conure (Kumar)
2 male budgies (Charlie and Diego)
I just got the feather tether in the mail yesterday, and I'm not sure about this! I tried the aviator before, and it ended up snipped in 3 pieces :) this one is pretty bulky in comparison, and I don't have a lot of confidence in this slip-clasp thing.....one squeeze and it's open. But it is much simpler to put on...so now begins the getting her used to it process (sigh)

Echo

Dec 7, 2009
USA
Parrots
I am going to get an aviator harness as well though, for when her flight feathers grow in, as I believe it has a longer leash. Will be nice for her to fly around in a bit in the park and get some fresh air !

That budgie is tooo cute!!

I know the "bird diaper" comes with a lanyard that is not very long. However you can also get an ANCHORLINE which is 4 feet long....not crazy long but better.

OP
Calace

Calace

May 16, 2013
Newcastle, Australia
Parrots
GCC- Ollie 3.9.13.
Cockatiels- RIP Charlie 2012, Zac 2006.
Thanks for all your advice. Will have a look at the bird diaper too. Urgh! Too many options. Guess it's just trial and error to find which one is best for my birdie!

SoCalWendy

Jun 29, 2013
Kihei, Hawaii
Parrots
None at the moment
Thanks for all your advice. Will have a look at the bird diaper too. Urgh! Too many options. Guess it's just trial and error to find which one is best for my birdie!

The aviator is expensive. Had to cut it off my bird. I am either going with the feather tether, the flight suit, or leathers 4 feathers has a nice one.

Most Reactions

Latest posts