Which of these two cages if best for a Hyacinth and Scarlet macaw?

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
NEITHER!!!

First of all, Hys need stainless steel. They can (and will) pop cage welds on anything less. If you go wrought iron, I wouldn't do anything less than a kings 506. But with a Hy, you really want to spend the money and go stainless, because sooner or later, you're just going to have to replace it... http://www.kingscages.com/ProductDetails.aspx?ProductID=506 My greenwing is in a KING'S DOUBLE MACAW 506... (the next size up from this one) and a Hyacinth is significantly larger than a greenwing. Somewhere on this site, I posted a video of a Hyacinth literally ripping apart an ordinary macaw cage... you might want to look that one up BECAUSE THAT'S WHAT YOU'RE GETTING YOURSELF INTO! That's the highest end of the parrot bite pressure spectrum...

I really do not like the plexy cages, because there is no place for the bird to climb. (They are active birds.) Two big macs, one of them a hy, in that cage?! You want them both to live, right?! The object here isn't to have them fight to the death?! :eek: I'm kidding, but I'm not lying...

That playtop looks too small for a Hy. Possibly okay for a Scarlet, but not a Hy, however I prefer dome tops to play tops for big macs because of their tails getting in the way... (It also appears to be overpriced to me.)

My advice is to keep looking.

The preferred Hyacinth cage, and this is what all the Hy breeders I know use, is the stainless steel cage in the bottom left corner here, I don't recall who makes it but it will run you between 2-3 grand...

http://www.hyacinthmacawaviary.com/Housing.html

I wanna be THE HUMAN PLAYSTAND GUY IN THAT PICTURE... LOOK AT ALL THOSE HY-HYS!!!

Last edited:

Mekaisto

Jan 8, 2014
Melbourne, Australia
Parrots
Zookeeper who has worked with many bird species, and owner of a cheeky red-tailed black cockatoo (Ash)
I'm a big fan of either bird rooms or outdoor flights for hyacinths - I've never seen an indoor cage big enough for them, unless they're only in there to sleep.

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
I'm a big fan of either bird rooms or outdoor flights for hyacinths - I've never seen an indoor cage big enough for them, unless they're only in there to sleep.

There is one very nice, and enormous stainless steel cage that works pretty well, that all the reputable Hy breeders I know use, but the inside dimensions of that one are like 6x8x7... so it's friggin' huge!

It's also costs around $4 grand.

But I agree with you 100%, and actually most macaws are happier with the bird room concept. I know mine are.

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
I love the setup in this video for a big macaw! Heck, if we ever own a home, we may install something like this for our zon.... Tiled walls, drain on the floor, the heavy metal door and plenty of room:D

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VumYs4pMqN0&list=PL7r8khfXHubtDbSd_JW4TSnoj1CCDoQHh"]Adopted a Rescue Green-Winged Macaw - YouTube[/ame]

Most Reactions

Latest posts