Which small to medium parrots are the smartest?

Which of these parrots are the smartest?

• Budgie

Votes: 1 3.1%
  • Cockatiel

Votes: 2 6.3%
  • Lovebird

• Green Cheek Conure

Votes: 8 25.0%
  • Other Conures (sun conure exempted)

• Quaker

Votes: 11 34.4%
  • Meyer's

Votes: 3 9.4%
  • Parrotlet

Votes: 3 9.4%

• Total voters

CharliePickles

Feb 2, 2015
Before you say anything, I meant "smart" in relative term to how WE perceive intelligence - such as how much they recognize us as their caregivers and friends, how much more likely they are to learn new tricks, etc. (I don't care if finches are better nest building artists than African Greys)

That being said... I'd like to hear from your experience, rank them in order, which species of birds you feel are the smartest to not as smart of the litter I've provided.

* IN GENERAL WITHOUT BIAS.

Budgie
Cockatiel
Lovebird
Parrotlet
Green Cheek Conure
other conures - smaller than sun conure
Quaker
Meyer's

I'm thinking of purchasing a parrot, and I LOVE quick-witted animals. These are my options. Thanks for all your input.

Last edited:

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
None of the above. Though conures are wicked smart...

But the correct answer is caique..

Hands down no contest!

Last edited:

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
If you've ever read about Allee's Harry (Quaker).... From what she says she says/does, she's really got to be every bit as smart as the largest birds, maybe and then some. I never knew Quakers were so scary smart until I heard about Harry! :)

Hawk

Banned
Banned
Dec 5, 2014
Media
Albums
Michigan, USA
Parrots
5 Parrots, 8 year old Blue-fronted Amazon, 2 1/2 yr. old African Grey, 2 3/4 year old Senegal. 5 month old ekkie, 5 month old Albino parakeet. Major Mitchell Cockatoo, passed away at age 68.
With all due respect for the species listed....I would have to say none of the above and say that the Senegal, being small to mid-size, is one very smart bird. I have one, and though it can't do many of the tricks in this link I provided, it is a very smart bird. Easy to train and retains memory.

senegal parrot tricks - Bing Videos

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unO5whIUF-M&feature=player_embedded"]World Record 20 Parrot Tricks in 2 Minutes - Kili Senegal Parrot - YouTube[/ame]

khaiqha

Sep 19, 2012
Lewisville, TX
Parrots
Alexandrine Ringneck,
about to be getting a Jardine's
Ringnecks ftw. But seriously, any parrot can be pretty clever. Ringnecks though have always amazed me.

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
Hawk, well Kili IS a famous bird you know ;). Michael has obviously put MANY hours into training her! That was amazing, and so fun to watch! I'm saving that one.

Dinosrawr

Aug 15, 2013
Saskatoon, SK, Canada
Parrots
Avery, a GCC born on March 5th, 2013 & Shiko, a blue IRN born on February 25th, 2014
Ringnecks ftw. But seriously, any parrot can be pretty clever. Ringnecks though have always amazed me.

Ringnecks are wicked smart... like, wicked smart. Shiko proves it to me every day. It blows me away as well, and quite honestly if someone was looking for an exceptionally intelligent small parrot, I would say IRN's are one of the tops. But they don't have the "tameness" factor that other parrots do in most cases.

Hawk

Banned
Banned
Dec 5, 2014
Media
Albums
Michigan, USA
Parrots
5 Parrots, 8 year old Blue-fronted Amazon, 2 1/2 yr. old African Grey, 2 3/4 year old Senegal. 5 month old ekkie, 5 month old Albino parakeet. Major Mitchell Cockatoo, passed away at age 68.
Hawk, well Kili IS a famous bird you know ;). Michael has obviously put MANY hours into training her! That was amazing, and so fun to watch! I'm saving that one.

Yeah Kili is a well known Senegal...and yeah He definitely put a lot of time into training this bird. Amazing though. Senegal's have always gotten a bad rap as being mean and hard to train. I disagree as I have one, though not any where near as smart as kili, she is smart and special in her own way.

Truth be said, all Parrots are fully capable of being smart, it comes down to the amount of love, devotion, and being their best buddy...They'll show you things in return for you. You get out of a parrot that which you put into it.

Every parrot is special in their own way...

Hawk

Banned
Banned
Dec 5, 2014
Media
Albums
Michigan, USA
Parrots

Ringnecks are wicked smart... like, wicked smart. Shiko proves it to me every day. It blows me away as well, and quite honestly if someone was looking for an exceptionally intelligent small parrot, I would say IRN's are one of the tops. But they don't have the "tameness" factor that other parrots do in most cases.

Yeah but ringnecks are special in their own way, and this video below is one of my favorites!!
ringnecks talking on phone - Bing Videos

Allee

Oct 27, 2013
Media
Texas
Parrots
U2-Poppy(Poppy lives with her new mommy, Misty now) CAG-Jack, YNA, Bingo, Budgie-Piper, Cockatiel-Sweet Pea Quakers-Harry, Sammy, Wilson ***Zeke (quaker) Twinkle (budgie) forever in our hearts
Hello and welcome to the forum!

Crows are fascinating birds and among the smartest animals in the world. A new study by The University of Cambridge, The University of Auckland, and The University of Vienna demonstrates how effectively crows can reason cause and effect. (Shhhh, please never tell the above mentioned Harry that I believe crows are smarter than Quakers, I have to live with her).

I'm sorry, I know that doesn't answer your question. You realize that the results of your poll would be based on personal opinion and those opinions would be based on members' experiences with one or several birds to represent an entire species.

Enjoy your search for a feathered companion! I think if I were you, I would go meet some of the species you're interested in. I have two quakers, two budgies, and a cockatiel and I think all of them are very smart.

Hawk

Banned
Banned
Dec 5, 2014
Media
Albums
Michigan, USA
Parrots
Hello and welcome to the forum!

Crows are fascinating birds and among the smartest animals in the world. A new study by The University of Cambridge, The University of Auckland, and The University of Vienna demonstrates how effectively crows can reason cause and effect. (Shhhh, please never tell the above mentioned Harry that I believe crows are smarter than Quakers, I have to live with her).

I'm sorry, I know that doesn't answer your question. You realize that the results of your poll would be based on personal opinion and those opinions would be based on members' experiences with one or several birds to represent an entire species.

Enjoy your search for a feathered companion! I think if I were you, I would go meet some of the species you're interested in. I have two quakers, two budgies, and a cockatiel and I think all of them are very smart.

They had something once on the discovery channel about crows...they are unique problem solvers....very smart birds, it's wondered if it's genetics. Crows are thought to carry the soul into the next world..or something like that. Makes you wonder.

veimar

Feb 5, 2014
Chicago, IL
Parrots
gcc Parry; lovebird Coco; 3 budgies (Tesla, Franky and Cesar); cockatiel Murzik, red rump parakeet girl Onyx
It depends so much on an individual bird! Out of my flock Coco, my female lovebird, is definitely the smartest, and the tiel the dumbest (but I love them all so much regardless of that!). The budgies are not the brightest ones either. LOL
After having an IRN for a few months I know what a SMART bird is! :D None of my birds qualify for that title. :D

strudel

Sep 30, 2013
Media
It depends so much on an individual bird!
I have 2 budgies and 2 weiros. I think that there is a smarter one of each, but whether there's any legitimate basis for that opinion is another question entirely.

Even if you figured out which type were considered "smart" you could end up with a bit of a dope. That's part of the fun of having pets, finding out their strengths and weaknesses, getting different things from the relationship.

Pinkbirdy

Feb 26, 2013
Clifton Springs Newyork
Parrots
macaw,LS2,congo grey,2Blk Hd caiques,Hawkhead,yellowstrk lory,Blue frnt amazon,sun conure ,Yellow sided greencheek ,Goffin ,Rosebreasted Cockatoo,Greenwing Macaw,Blue and Gold Macaw,Nanday conure,Ecle
Caiques and believe it or not Lorries :)

Pinkbirdy

Feb 26, 2013
Clifton Springs Newyork
Parrots
macaw,LS2,congo grey,2Blk Hd caiques,Hawkhead,yellowstrk lory,Blue frnt amazon,sun conure ,Yellow sided greencheek ,Goffin ,Rosebreasted Cockatoo,Greenwing Macaw,Blue and Gold Macaw,Nanday conure,Ecle
Smaller white Toos also. Keeping them from not breaking out of their cage is a challenge.

kalypso123

Aug 16, 2014
Media
Tallahassee, Florida
Parrots
Cockatiel- Kalypso
I agree with everyone else that any bird has the capability of being smart. A budgie holds the world record of most words its around 1,000 and an odd number. My tiel isnt the brightest but I love her to death. Out of your options I would say the quaker but it really depends on the bird's personatily and your devotion

Mango121913

Aug 9, 2014
Ripley WV
Parrots
Solomon Island Eclectus
With the proper training techniques, aren't most parrots smart enough to be trained to do most anything? I'm sure some can be trained more easily than others. Just like some speak more clearly than others. :)

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
Eclectus, CAG, BH Pionus, Maximilian’s Pionus, Quakers, Indian Ringnecks, Green Cheeked Conures, Black Capped Conures, Cockatiels, Lovebirds, Budgies, Canaries, Diamond Doves, Zebra Finches, Society F
The smartest parrots are the ones who are properly raised, weaned, fledged, socialized, fed, and mentally stimulated and taught new things. I doubt any parrot who had this upbringing would be unable to learn 99% of the tricks out there, and those who can learn that last 1% would likely come from all differ species.

OP
C

CharliePickles

Feb 2, 2015
Smaller white Toos also. Keeping them from not breaking out of their cage is a challenge.

I wish they weren't so loud and dusty; Caiques are a bit unreasonably expensive where I am. They're $2500 per hand reared baby.

OP
C

CharliePickles

Feb 2, 2015
Lol the problem is, we all think our birds are super-special geniuses, no matter what the breed. :D

Edit: after reading your other post, I regret even posting a response here. Since I can't erase it, just disregard :(

My feelings are... completely unaffected

Most Reactions