Which to pick?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

CharlieSheen

Dec 8, 2012
South Florida
Parrots
Kiwi the Peach-Faced Lovebird
So I've been searching all around the web for good deals, and researched to find 2 parrots that I like. There are the Sun Conures, which I absolutley love, and the Grey Cockatiels, which I enjoy too. Then there are the parrotlets. So which is best? Here is the information.

sun.gif
: Sun Conure, 60$ With Cage and Food. Handicapped, with one foot missing.

cockatiel.gif
: Grey Cockatiel, 45$ With Cage. Young females.

:green: : Green and Blue Parrotlet, Unknown Price, Cage sold speratley. Young male with female.

Information I would need:
Which is louder.
Which makes more of a mess.
Which is a better talker.
Which will bite less.
Can the Conure still fly and perch well. (In the photo it looked alright when it was perching)
Which should be kept in pairs (Conure not included.)
And which is a better overall pet?

Thank you
thumbsup.gif

MollyGreenCheeks

Jan 16, 2012
Media
Albums
Arizona, USA
Parrots
Molly - GCC, Cody - GCC, Gracie - Congo African Grey
So I've been searching all around the web for good deals, and researched to find 2 parrots that I like. There are the Sun Conures, which I absolutley love, and the Grey Cockatiels, which I enjoy too. Then there are the parrotlets. So which is best? Here is the information.

sun.gif
: Sun Conure, 60$ With Cage and Food. Handicapped, with one foot missing.

cockatiel.gif
: Grey Cockatiel, 45$ With Cage. Young females.

:green: : Green and Blue Parrotlet, Unknown Price, Cage sold speratley. Young male with female.

Information I would need:
Which is louder.
Which makes more of a mess.
Which is a better talker.
Which will bite less.
Can the Conure still fly and perch well. (In the photo it looked alright when it was perching)
Which should be kept in pairs (Conure not included.)
And which is a better overall pet?

Thank you
thumbsup.gif

Which is louder. Without doubt the Sun Conure.
Which makes more of a mess. I go with Sun Conure but really no guarantee.
Which is a better talker. I'd say the Cockatiel but there is never a 100% guarantee.
Which will bite less. Less? No guarantee here as well. It all depends on their upbringing and their previous handling and how you bond with them.
Can the Conure still fly and perch well. Conures are wonderful flyers and perchers. Of course this all depends on wing clippings and nail clippings. If they get their wings and nails done at the same time then I find that they don't perch as well because they are off balance due to the wing clippings and their grip is not as good because of the fresh nail job!
Which should be kept in pairs Not sure about the Parolette but the Sun and Cockatiel are fine as single birds as long as they get plenty of time with you.
And which is a better overall pet? This is a relitive question. I can say that the Sun will need several 3-4 or more hours of out of cage time, play, training, relaxing with you, each day!

Additionally I must ask where you are acquiring these birds? I've never seen a Sun Conure under $400.00 and that is only for the bird. Please be aware there are many scams out there. Do your research and do not skimp in hops of getting a great deal. Also be aware that after you get the bird it will need to see an Avian Vet ASAP, usually within 3 days to verify it does not have any diseases, etc. Please be cautious and know what you are getting yourself into before you bring home a parrot. The require time, patience, love, affection, MONEY, training, bird food, fruits, vegetables, toys, room in their cage to spread their wings, etc.

Last edited:

aliray

Jan 28, 2012
Rotonda West , Fla
Parrots
yellow sided green cheek conure,Chiquita Quaker parrot Sweetie Pie, African red bellied parrot Tiki, spanish timbrado canary Lucas
How about some information about yourself and what you are looking for in a pet bird? what is your lifestyle like or in other words how much would you be able to take the bird out and bond with etc. That might make it easier for people to give you ideas:)

OP
CharlieSheen

CharlieSheen

Dec 8, 2012
South Florida
Parrots
These are all from different Local Breeders. The Conure is 100$ At Petsmart, and this one was 60$ (Including a free cage) Because of a missing leg (When he was born, not maimed). Here is a picture of the cage:
3Ge3Lc3Hb5I45K65Mbcc7b7619c9faa4c158c.jpg

I think it should be alright for the size.

Last edited:
OP
CharlieSheen

CharlieSheen

Dec 8, 2012
South Florida
Parrots
How about some information about yourself and what you are looking for in a pet bird? what is your lifestyle like or in other words how much would you be able to take the bird out and bond with etc. That might make it easier for people to give you ideas:)
Alright, I'm usually at home apart for school. My home is always occupied, apart for maybe 1-2 hours a day. I often work on the computer during the day and plan on talking/training/playing with the pet for at least an hour a day, or more if I'm not too busy with schoolwork.
Also, my family goes on a trip about once a year. Is that good?

mcw009

Apr 21, 2011
VA
Parrots
Icarus the Moustached Parakeet, Smudge, Pudge (RIP), and Floki the Budgies
My Icarus has the same cage as shown in the picture with the conure. He's a smidge bigger than a conure but he seems to like it. He's not a terribly gregarious boy, though.

I wouldn't worry about the missing leg. Animals are extraordinarily resilient, especially if he was born that way. He probably has no idea he's even handicapped.

I don't have experience with any of these species, but I do have a friend who's working on her PhD and owns a lone cockatiel that seems very content. I imagine if a PhD candidate can take care of a cockatiel, just about anyone could (time-wise)!

Also remember, with any bird, you can still hang out while doing other stuff. I almost always have Icarus around at home and I just talk to him about whatever I'm doing. He probably doesn't give two craps about ecotoxicology, but he sure likes talking with me!

Final word: all birds are individuals. Once you decide which one is most likely to fit into your family well, try to meet the actual animal before making an official decision.

OP
CharlieSheen

CharlieSheen

Dec 8, 2012
South Florida
Parrots
Yeah, that's what I was planning. As he's already hand-fed and tame, I'd bring him near my workspace and let him jump around, or put his cage near my desk and talk to him. If I'm gonna be busy for most of the day I'd place him in front of the TV with Fox-News on so he would learn how to lie, an important skill in my family. :D

If you're still doubting the legitimacy of the vendor, I can send you a picture of each of the birds. They all look fine, but the Conure is the one who looks truly happiest.

aliray

Jan 28, 2012
Rotonda West , Fla
Parrots
yellow sided green cheek conure,Chiquita Quaker parrot Sweetie Pie, African red bellied parrot Tiki, spanish timbrado canary Lucas
There are a lot of sun conure owners that could probably give you some good advice because an hour a day is not much time for that type of bird. all mine are out a lot more than that except the canary. However they also have each other to interact with and we are both retired and home all day. maybe a pair of lovebirds that could bond with you and each other. The young man that lived next door to us up north had a lovebird for many years though grammer school to high school and that bird was velcro to him. As soon as he came home from school that bird was on his shoulder inside or ourside and it was given to him when the bird was several years old. Even when they were using pogo sticks in the driveway that bird would be holding on for dear life and flapping his little wings. Wish I had gotten it on video.:)

OP
CharlieSheen

CharlieSheen

Dec 8, 2012
South Florida
Parrots
I know, that's why I said at least. When I'm really busy with classwork or such is the only time that I would spend it for that little amount of time.

aliray

Jan 28, 2012
Rotonda West , Fla
Parrots
Well at least with a bird if you don't get your homework done you can tell the teacher. I'm sorry but the bird ate my homework, than ate the pencil after which he then removed the keys from my computer:rolleyes::D

OP
CharlieSheen

CharlieSheen

Dec 8, 2012
South Florida
Parrots
Nah, I'm a nerd-- I might be a 7th Grader, but I'm doing 10th-Grade math, Geometry I. I'm finishing Algebra II this year, and in 8th Grade I'll be starting Pre-Calculus. Either way, I'll be spending alot of time with my bird, especially if it's a Conure.

aliray

Jan 28, 2012
Rotonda West , Fla
Parrots
Congrats on your school work . Do you know what you would like to study in college

OP
CharlieSheen

CharlieSheen

Dec 8, 2012
South Florida
Parrots
I'd like to work on creating A.I.s (Artificial Intelligences) or possibly work in Quantum Physics. When I was little, I always wanted to own a Zoo, but It would cost so much just to start one.

Ah, nostalgia.

aliray

Jan 28, 2012
Rotonda West , Fla
Parrots
You are really going to need the math. Both sound like facinating choices. I wish you luck and am looking forward to learning about which bird you finally choose.

aliray

Jan 28, 2012
Rotonda West , Fla
Parrots
Sorry about the double post I have a quaker on my lap trying to help on the keyboard:)

WannaBeAParrot

Jul 5, 2012
Media
SE Florida and Sullivan County, NY
Parrots
Cody-Blu, female Blue-Crowned Conure, Hatched - (approx) June 1, 2014, in a South Florida tree.

Pritti (Cherry-Head Conure) -- Fly in Peace my beautiful boy. Forever I'll love you.
welcome to forum.
Your love of animals is great and wanting to have a zoo is so fun to hear.

As much as this would have sounded crazy and impossible to me when I was in 7th grade, I urge you to think ahead to when your are in your 20's, 30's, and 40's because that is longer of the lifespan of the birds you are considering. It's really important to know that you will be building such a bond with your bird I hope, that you should plan ahead for his/her needs, i.e. if you go away to college, plan or hope to travel alot. I'm not trying to discourage you, I'm just trying to make sure you think understand your commitment and how serious of a long-term commitment it is for this birdy that will rely on you for love and safety and happiness for decades. My Pritti is 30 years old and he's been a one-family bird for his whole life, which probably is why he has done so well, from what the avian vet says (he has cared for Pritti for over 15 years).

OP
CharlieSheen

CharlieSheen

Dec 8, 2012
South Florida
Parrots
Well, I have One more year of middle, then 1 year of high school with that progam I'm in and then off to MIT. I doubt I'll move after that. And when I go to MIT or another university, I hope I can bring the bird with me. Would moving once be too much for the bird?

Aquila

Nov 19, 2012
Philadelphia
Parrots
Sydney - Blue Front Amazon
Gonzo - Congo African Grey
Willow - Cockatiel
RIP:
Snowy, Ivy, Kiwi, Ghost - Parakeets
Berry - Cinnamon GCC
It's very unusual for a Petsmart to be selling a bird missing a leg, they're supposed to be adopted out, though because it's a birth defect, I'm surprised the vendor supplied it. I don't know who the vendor is down in that area, but it's likely the same as my store, we get ours from Perfect Birds LLC, which is actually based out of Florida.

Personally I think the cockatiel would be a good choice for you, given everything you've said, but with the proper time an attention, the conure might not be a bad choice either. I would go interact with the conure and see how it does with you!

OP
CharlieSheen

CharlieSheen

Dec 8, 2012
South Florida
Parrots
No, what I meant is normally, the Conures at petsmart are 100$ each. This handicapped conure is missing a leg and is from a breeder, and it costs 60$ Including a large cage and some food.

Most Reactions