Who DOES that?!?!

KatherineI

Mar 27, 2012
Media
Seattle, WA
Parrots
Loki (GCC) Sugar (Goffins)
So, Sam (a male M2) has been with us almost a month now. We've had a number of bumps, but we'll get it all worked out eventually. 12 years of habits, many of them not desirable, to try to correct if at all possible. ;):rolleyes:

The worst isn't the M2 screaming, but rather, what he says. He drops F-bombs like nobodies business. He screams, "Let me out!!" in a very high-pitched, almost old-lady like voice (to me it's reminiscent of some of the female Alzheimer's patients I cared for, when they were restrained or confused). Today he added a "goddamn you" to his "let me out". I have no idea where he picked it up, if it was intentional or not. If it was intentional, who teaches a bird to scream like that? But that's not the absolute worst of it.

The worst was a tirade he just went on that absolutely broke my heart. He randomly goes on these, and most of the time I can't make out what he's saying or sort of ignore it, but this time I couldn't ignore it and I could make it out quite clearly. There was a lot of F-bombs being dropped, but then I heard "F*** you! F****** Sam! I want Sam gone! F****** bird needs to go!"
eek.gif
:mad: He was clearly yelled at a lot
frown.gif

Who does that? I mean, seriously? I have never met his previous owner, and the store I got him from told me everything she knew; He's 12, originally from Hawaii, and has had the same owner for his entire life who then got a new partner who is allergic. He was raised with a B&G Macaw and some type of Amazon. From what I was told, the owner was absolutely heartbroken, but apparently chose the partner over Sam. We were told that the owner was going to bring in his favorite toys, but she never did. As far as I know, she never came in once to see him after she put him on consignment. Someone definitely loved him, you can tell, but he has aggression issues that probably stem from whoever yelled at him. :(

I love him, but I'm very sorry for what he's been through. All I can do now is love him, do the best with him I can and give him the best life I'm able to. :eek:

LoryLover

Jan 1, 2013
Southern California
Parrots
Chattering Lory, 18yrs old (Sweet Pea)
Wow, this is SO sad!! I'd be tempted to go overboard on saying super sweet things to him, and show him tons of heartfelt love. He'll always remember how to say those dreadful things, but will adapt to your love and should eventually express himself to vocally in harmony with the great treatment you'll be giving him.

The person who yelled all those things to this gorgeous parrot - well, I feel sorry for every person and animal that is around them. I bet the original owner just couldn't bear to see Sam again, knowing that it would cause more heartbreak for her and Sam, and maybe confuse Sam that she was taking him back home.

I hope with all my heart that Sam will embrace your love and feel secure again real soon. Parrots have forever memories... no one should curse at their parrot.

OP
KatherineI

KatherineI

Mar 27, 2012
Media
Seattle, WA
Parrots
Thank you. It's not that I don't want to go overboard with the love and sweet words, I just know that I also can't be a pushover and a softy, or he takes advantage ;) He needs a firm but gentle hand, along with love.

I had a friend, who has never owned a parrot and knows very little about them, try to say that "Well, at least he doesn't understand what was being said to him"... Umm, excuse me?!?! He absolutely knew what was being said to him! They're intelligent creatures! And even if he didn't understand the exact words, he knows his name, and can read body language and tone. Which is why no one can yell in my house again, in anger, because it sets him off.

He is teaching us more about patience, love and understanding than I ever thought possible.

Riio

Apr 19, 2011
San Diego California
Parrots
'Rio'~RIP baby girl 'Sunshine'~Yellow Side Green Cheek Conure
Thank you. It's not that I don't want to go overboard with the love and sweet words, I just know that I also can't be a pushover and a softy, or he takes advantage ;) He needs a firm but gentle hand, along with love.

I had a friend, who has never owned a parrot and knows very little about them, try to say that "Well, at least he doesn't understand what was being said to him"... Umm, excuse me?!?! He absolutely knew what was being said to him! They're intelligent creatures! And even if he didn't understand the exact words, he knows his name, and can read body language and tone. Which is why no one can yell in my house again, in anger, because it sets him off.

He is teaching us more about patience, love and understanding than I ever thought possible.

Oh how sad! But on the positive side, he has you and your family to show him love once again, and your family has him to teach all of you more about patience understanding and love. It's already an amazing story but the next chapters will be even better!!!

LoryLover

Jan 1, 2013
Southern California
Parrots
Chattering Lory, 18yrs old (Sweet Pea)

Oh, for sure they DO understand. For example, there's been a few times when my lory is sitting on me, and maybe I petted her and that made her irritated, so to express her irritation, she will say "no biting". She is expressing to me that she feels like striking out. Lories are feisty birds, and when this happens, I look down at her with a smile on my face, and say to her "that's right, no biting"... And I really respect her for her ability to practice restraint and not actually bite me, but warn me instead. Sadly, it seems a common perspective that birds are just to look at and thought of as just an object. I live in a different state than my dad and he could never completely believe all the stories I told him about my lory, until he came for a visit and saw for himself. He even found it hard to believe as he was watching and listening. A friend of mine watched as Sweet Pea and I had a conversation, and my friend was completely astonished and like my dad, even though she was witnessing it, she still found it hard to believe.

I agree that you can't come across as a push over. Yep, Sam is going to change your life in many ways. I applaud you for everything you are doing to help Sam have a better life.

Sungazer

Feb 14, 2013
Australia
Parrots
Galah
Eclectus
Crimson Rosella
Most likely it wasnt someone yelling at the bird but most probably a wife yelling at her husband and the bird has copied her voice. They tend to copy female voices more than males but it could be the other way around.

The fact that he says "that bird has to go" sort of gives it away that it is not directed at him.

OP
KatherineI

KatherineI

Mar 27, 2012
Media
Seattle, WA
Parrots
Most likely it wasnt someone yelling at the bird but most probably a wife yelling at her husband and the bird has copied her voice. They tend to copy female voices more than males but it could be the other way around.

The fact that he says "that bird has to go" sort of gives it away that it is not directed at him.

I never said it was directed at him, but it was about him and he was within hearing distance. Just because it wasn't directed at him, doesn't make it any more correct.

The household was also two women, and we hear two very distinct, female voices.

Thanks everyone. He's been great today, I can already see progress (although, 1 step forward, 5 steps back, right?).

Molcan2

Jul 19, 2011
Lake Co., Florida
Parrots
Princess Rome- Moluccan Cockatoo (18yrs old), Rosie - Galah/Rose Breasted Cockatoo (2yr old)
:( very sad. Our M2 had water used as punishment and no matter what we've done we cant seem to change her mind. The other two love being bathed and misted. Rome acts like we've beaten her when we do it. Its heartbreaking to see. We've resorted to just wiping her down with a damp cloth. The M2s are so emotionally sensitive.

MeganMango

Oct 13, 2012
Media
Guelph Ontario
Parrots
1 red bellied parrot (Mango), 3 cockatiels (Bugsie, Alfie, and Bananas)
Wow... just wow. I dont even know what to say aside from that Im sorry your bird was mistreated. Loving an animal is NOT ENOUGH. People get angry when I say it, but it takes money, patience, and commitment. I cant tell you how many times Ive heard "I love him/her but...." and then some statement about how the animal has been neglected or mistreated by someone else while this person who claims to love them stands by and allows it to happen. Maybe you can try to change his rant so that its all about how great Sam is? "Sam is such a good boy! I dont care what you say he is the bomb!

jery1234

Mar 3, 2013
:)Hi I have m2 her name is amber, I got her 10 years old & I have experienced the same situation like swearing & so one, trust me when I say your bird is not swearing it is the sounds that they do we think it is a swearing, it is happening so fast that when they do douse mambo jumbo sounds our brain is interpreting some of them as words , unless you can hear clearly the words for example amber is saying clear ( hi amber, pretty girl, pretty bird) everything else is just our imagination, I hope that helped

OP
KatherineI

KatherineI

Mar 27, 2012
Media
Seattle, WA
Parrots
:( very sad. Our M2 had water used as punishment and no matter what we've done we cant seem to change her mind. The other two love being bathed and misted. Rome acts like we've beaten her when we do it. Its heartbreaking to see. We've resorted to just wiping her down with a damp cloth. The M2s are so emotionally sensitive.

Sam has also had water (via a squirt bottle) used on him as punishment and he now thinks they are the devil :( I have managed to take him into the shower with me twice and got him sort of misted, but he needs a really good bath, which is going to take quite a bit of time before it can happen. He also dislikes carriers (the dog/cat variety, I don't have a Pak-O-Bird for him yet), so it's an effort to try and get him in one just to take him to the AV.

He also had a HORRIBLE clipping job done and he doesn't even glide, he just falls :mad: He tried to fly for some reason or other (to get away) and just plopped. Now I see why he climbs up and down everything. Ugh!!

And I was right, 1 step forward and 5 back :rolleyes: Haven't had a "good" day with him since I posted it last. Not that we've had horrid days either (unless you count him climbing down off his playstand with the intent and purpose of attacking poor Hubs horrid).

Most Reactions