Who has more than one bird ???

Streetwise

Oct 22, 2010
Could I please ask who has more than one bird and what do you have ????

I've got a fantastic 5 month old African grey called Rambo. I'm longing to add a green wing macaw to our flock. Ups and downs of more than one bird would be a great help.

Beilana

Jun 14, 2010
Calgary, Ab, Canada
Parrots
Chia!!!! Cinnamon GCC
I don't have any this far but from what I have heard
2 birds equals twice the poop, twice the food preparation, twice the cleaning, twice the noise, twice the cost, and twice the Love, joy, and excitement :)

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
Glad you doing your, homework, before adding another bird.
Sure members will assist you, as to which bird would be a match for your AG.

I have only ever owned one bird at time, have always been AG.

Mishka takes up such a great amount of my time. Each night, I spend approximately 3 hours with her, giving her my undivided attention, where we play, chat and she has her training session.
I would feel guilty, not giving each bird the time they each deserve. I would not be prepared to jeopardize, my relationship with Mishka by taking in another bird.
Good luck let us know what you decide

greasemonkygrrl

Oct 24, 2010
Pemberton, nj
Parrots
blue and gold macaw
lesser sulfur cockatoo
cockatiel
I have three birds and I can agree that they LOVE to make messes... with their food and other things :p The part that I really enjoy is the interaction between them. They are like kids that like to intermingle and tease each other. Very enjoyable to observe and to be a part of.

SharonC

May 26, 2010
As you can see from my signature, I have five birds. I thoroughly enjoy all of them. Having more than one does not necessarily mean that any one bird is deprived. I have to have a rigid "out" time for all, and stick to the schedule. I'm retired so I have the time to do that...All my guys are used to the routine, and seem happy.

OP
S

Streetwise

Oct 22, 2010
Sorry didn't mean anything with the comment "someone positive". I'm not knocking anyones opinion. I really want to know what people think and experiences. That's why I asked.

Ecclipse

Oct 24, 2009
Southern Africa
Parrots
RIP Hugo (African Brown Headed Parrot) 2 years old, lil Rosie May (Lovebird)
Some one positive. Thanks grease monkey.

Hi there, its not a case of negative or positive, its a case of members on the forum sharing their experience as you asked in your original post. There are many threads on the forum sections that cover the aspects of deciding on whether to get a second bird. There are many aspects that one has to consider:

1. Quarantine - can you keep your birds apart for that period?

2. Is there space for both to live apart in case they do not bond?

3. If bonding does not happen do you have enough time to give to both parrots seperately?

4. Having two parrots doubles everything especially cost etc.

5. There is also the concern for the original parrot and how they will react to another parrot taking up your time.

There are many experienced members who have successfully introduced a second parrot and know the in's and out's of owning more than one parrot. There is nothing better than knowing someone is going to give another parrot a loving home - way up the pros and cons and take it from there :)

SharonC

May 26, 2010
Oh, I was just trying to give you another positive comment...I didn't take offense ...LOL...I assume you're thinking of adding another?

OP
S

Streetwise

Oct 22, 2010
Yes I'm looking to add a green wing macaw. She 14 week old at the min. Got a lot more thinking and reading before I tell the breeder its a deferent yes. I think the green wing will live mostly at my shop with me. We will see.

Spiritbird

Banned
Banned
Aug 20, 2009
Media
I am always wanting to add another bird to my one bird flock. I have a conversation with my avain vet about how it would effect my TAG and have agreeded with myself not to get a 2nd bird. It was my vets belief that Rosie would never understand and my relationship with her would forever change. For me, one bird is enough to care for and love.

SharonC

May 26, 2010
Everyone is different. It's what makes the world interesting!

All my guys have "different" realtionships with me. Charlie is my beautiful singer...he gets time out, but doesn't want one on one time. My Budgies love each other, and love to fly, which they do every day. Levi is my "cuddle bug" .......he gets one on one time every day. Fred is...well, Freddie is just Freddie. He enjoys time out, but not particularly interested in cuddling. He gets to choose what he wants to do with his time Often he stays on a perch or on his cage. He lets me know if he's in the mood for more....

I think owning more than one bird depends largely on lifestyle. I'm retired, and enjoy being home with my birds. If I were still working and raising my child, I'd probably have no birds. It think it just depends on how much time you have and what you want to do with that time...:)

Most Reactions

Latest posts