Who on earth would have an Amazon??

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 38-year-old Patagonian Conure
I'm so glad you have joined us!

Plenty of Amazon 'veterans' here to give you advice.
And plenty of others to embrace and support you.

Mannnnnnnnnnn, that must have been hard to lose that bird after so many years. I face the same challenge, possibly. I hope you're still here, when/if that time comes, to advise and help me.

CDavis

Aug 7, 2016
North Carolina
Parrots
Goose: Yellowsided Greencheek Conure
Dobby: Turquoise GCC
Bonkers: RLA
I'm so glad you have joined us!

Plenty of Amazon 'veterans' here to give you advice.
And plenty of others to embrace and support you.

Mannnnnnnnnnn, that must have been hard to lose that bird after so many years. I face the same challenge, possibly. I hope you're still here, when/if that time comes, to advise and help me.

Lol sorry this thread is from 2012 I just brought it back because the content is literally some of the best I've read from any sources.

clayman

Jun 26, 2016
Prague, Czech Republic
Parrots
Female BFA's -- Ori and Tia (sisters, hatched in May '16)
Ha ha, good question. I have had Ori and Tia for about 6 months now, got them from a breeder when they were about 2 months old.

Even 6 months later, I am still coming to grips with how to handle them. I have trained them to step up, down, and to fly to me upon a call, which gives me some authority, I suppose. I also have got a fairly good grasp of their body language (the 'zons really do wear them on their sleeves), but every now and then I get reaffirmed about the strength they possess in their beaks. ;)

They can be fun, loving, and sweet companion birds, but the truth is that I need to keep coming up with ideas on how to trick them, especially when the time comes for their return into the aviary. Tia in particular can be a bit of a pain to get inside as she appears to be a little distrustful (I ended up chasing her twice, which did not help our relationship, I surmise). I need to be extra careful not to spook her and ideally make it so that she actually wants to return to her house.

One other thing I struggle with is that both of them tend to start gnawing my hands and fingers when I hold something they are interested in and start chewing. I am not quite sure why they do that but it does get quite painful as they do not really seem to care if it's my hand or the thing I am holding that they are gnawing.

On the plus side, I love their ability to entertain themselves. Give them anything and they will either dismantle it or shred it to bits. :D Oh, and I gotta love their vocalizations. The Amazons can get quite loud, but they have the most amusing, comical voices. The Greys excel in their ability to not only mimic what they hear, but also the voice that says it. Amazons can talk really well too, but they retain their own voice, their own individuality when they say it.
Save

Last edited:

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 38-year-old Patagonian Conure
[/quote]

Lol sorry this thread is from 2012 I just brought it back because the content is literally some of the best I've read from any sources.[/QUOTE]

Ackkkkk!

I'm not much of a detail person, you see.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Ha ha, good question. I have had Ori and Tia for about 6 months now, got them from a breeder when they were about 2 months old.

Even 6 months later, I am still coming to grips with how to handle them. I have trained them to step up, down, and to fly to me upon a call, which gives me some authority, I suppose. I also have got a fairly good grasp of their body language (the 'zons really do wear them on their sleeves), but every now and then I get reaffirmed about the strength they possess in their beaks. ;)

They can be fun, loving, and sweet companion birds, but the truth is that I need to keep coming up with ideas on how to trick them, especially when the time comes for their return into the aviary. Tia in particular can be a bit of a pain to get inside as she appears to be a little distrustful (I ended up chasing her twice, which did not help our relationship, I surmise). I need to be extra careful not to spook her and ideally make it so that she actually wants to return to her house.

One other thing I struggle with is that both of them tend to start gnawing my hands and fingers when I hold something they are interested in and start chewing. I am not quite sure why they do that but it does get quite painful as they do not really seem to care if it's my hand or the thing I am holding that they are gnawing.

On the plus side, I love their ability to entertain themselves. Give them anything and they will either dismantle it or shred it to bits. :D Oh, and I gotta love their vocalizations. The Amazons can get quite loud, but they have the most amusing, comical voices. The Greys excel in their ability to not only mimic what they hear, but also the voice that says it. Amazons can talk really well too, but they retain their own voice, their own individuality when they say it.
Save

Well cayman, clearly you need to come to grips with the reality of the World you now find yourself! Your Amazon's own this World and everything in it you think is yours is in fact, theirs! They are training you to be their Staff! You see, Dogs have Families, Cats have Slaves, but Amazons, well Amazons have Staff!

You will need to rethink the position of you Owning Them and come to the reality that They Own You! The correct term is: I am Owned By An Amazon! And, in your case, two Amazons!

To the question of this Thread!: Without question - Me!

MosaicMadness

Nov 20, 2015
Media
Virginia
Parrots
Jenks-RFM 13 yrs, Mox-BTM 9 mos, Widget-RB2 11mos, Artie-WCpi 17 years, Khalessi-BWpi 4 yrs, Winslow-Meyers 6 yrs
love all of the info, even if it's old. We have pionus ("amazon lite") LOL, but I did foster an orange wing female amazon for a rescue for 6 months. I really liked her. She was more of a let me get away from you than a let me lunge, run and attack you bird. She didn't say any words and the only reason we opted to not adopt her was that her one sound that she had picked up at some point in her past was this loud, sharp, ear shattering alarm clock noise and she would do it a LOT. It hurt even the dogs' ears. :( So, I guess what I'm saying, is if you have a zon... PLEASE be aware of what you expose them to!

Gdp2016

Jul 4, 2016
Media
Parrots
Sonnie- Sun Conure
Pineapple Green Cheeked conure- Mango
Yellow Naped Amazon- Lola
Hi, I too lost my grey a few years back. I wanted another so bad but thought I'd compare them all the time. I just, 3 months ago, got a baby yellow nape and she is great. Much different then my grey, as she , at this time is more friendly and goes to everyone, where my grey was attached to me only. I really wanted a bird that would be good with everyone and so far so good. She, Lola, seems to very smart and is already talking up a storm, although some is a mash of words jumbled together. I still find myself comparing between the species but having fun with my Lola!

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Keep letting her meet new people and be handled by as many as you can. We played Pass the Birdie in our family when we first got Salty, so he will go to just about anyone. When I bring him to work he is a big hit and has had pictures taken of him and just about everyone here, including my Boss, and some folks who were afraid of birds.

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
To the OP (if you are still with us lol I know this thread is OLD)

I HAVE a B.F..and HAD a Timneh Grey,at the same time. Smokey the Grey passed away at 27 years young almost two years ago. I had her for a year when Amy came home with me,she was 4 months old. ( I DNA'd "her" last year and surprise surprise! Amy is really AMOS..but I still call "her" Amy and refer to her as "her" Why change after 28 years lol)

She wanted to be best buds with Smokey but Smokey wanted NO part of it!
Many years ago they went beak to beak ( I thought Smokes finally gave in) and Smokey bit Amys' tongue,requiring FIVE stitches :eek: That was the last time I let them get close together,Smokey could not be trusted.

Amy is also not your typical Amazon. She has never screamed. Oh she can be loud..with words. HELLO!! HOW ARE YOU??? WHAT ARE YOU DOING??
She doesn't sing or whistle but talks very well. She loves BB the cockatiel..she loves "most" people,will go to just about anyone because I socialized her at an early age.
She loves car rides..going to the pet store to visit the green armed bee bee's...Walmart,rides on the carriage handlebars...donut shop,MY doctors office,and she just babbles on in amazon speak or talking.
She has drawn blood on a few occasions..can be "aggressive that time of year"..loves head scratches,being pet..etc etc etc!

I don't know what I'd do without her..she has saved my sanity countless times.

Jim

Most Reactions

Latest posts