Who's talking at 5 months old

John3L

Dec 10, 2015
Columbia, Md
Parrots
TAG
CAG
Our girl Gracie is now 10 months old and has plenty to say. Gracie loves to watch TV and play with her toys however when she was 5 months old she started to make sounds as if she was trying to communicate or maybe emulate sounds she had been hearing. She has been getting a bit nasty as well. She eats well and is very active, We enjoy everything she has to say and challenging her intellagance she loves to interact with us in various ways. Any ideas on how we can enhance her vocabulary would be helpful.

Last edited:

DRB

Jan 23, 2016
Ohio
Parrots
Perjo - Female CAG hatch Nov 2015
How cool and exciting.

My Perjo is 21 weeks and I'm dying for her to saying something, it feels like she totally wants to and is capable. Being an impatient person in general doesn't make it easy for me.

My rookie bird owner gut instinct tells me once they start it's the launching pad for a whole new world. I can't wait.

OP
John3L

John3L

Dec 10, 2015
Columbia, Md
Parrots
TAG
CAG
It sounds like you are right at the threshold of conversation. I will tell you to be as patient as possible because this truly is a exciting time. My Gracie is just hysterical with trying to emulate sounds, she dose respond to commands and seems to act interested in slow low tonal speech. Enjoy this as it just gets better.:grey:

DRB

Jan 23, 2016
Ohio
Parrots
Yeah any new sounds or noises I make when conversing with her she seems to randomly throw back at me within a few days now instead of two weeks as was the case over a month ago.

Just in the past 48hrs she has mixed in the duck quack (from Google, just type in duck sound) in her morning routine of whistles, cracks, doinks etc when I am in the kitchen making breakfast. She isn't saying "quack", she actually made the sound, she just hasn't put it together in the proper context yet.

OP
John3L

John3L

Dec 10, 2015
Columbia, Md
Parrots
TAG
CAG
It's always fun to hear folks talk about the first sounds that are being said by our feathered friends. I hope more people talk about it I'm sure there are some great stories.:grey:

Allicastery

Apr 3, 2016
Media
South Florida
Parrots
Peppy- male fancy gray tiel.
Baby YCA (unamed)
Ace-the place with the helpful hardware folks (male CAG) Bellini- male peachfaced lovie
Acey is only 4 months old and can already say a few words, him and his sister lola (a U2) both left the nursery almost talking, so it's safe to say they taught each other. The U2 started talking at 3 and a half months!

OP
John3L

John3L

Dec 10, 2015
Columbia, Md
Parrots
TAG
CAG
Sometimes our Gracie is talking sentences and it's not real clear what she is saying so I think most of her conversation is what see sees or hears from TV and or my wife a I talking. I enjoy hearing these stories about our feathered friends.:grey:

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Salty started taking about 3 months after we got him, so maybe 6 months old. We did use a repeater box for a little while, to let him really hear the sound of it. Hello, and his name, Salty. We dont use that now though, he picks up words and phrases from just being in center of all the action in our house. .

DRB

Jan 23, 2016
Ohio
Parrots
Today Perjo put on a concert while I was working out, I do my best to reply. She did her entire repertoire of whistles, but mixed in clicks doinks and some r2d2 sounds. Hilarious.

Most Reactions

Latest posts