who's the boss??....training/behavioural question

crimson

Oct 8, 2012
Media
Ontario,Canada
Parrots
Senegal-Martini,1 pineapple conure~ Kahlua,1 GCC~ Flare, spl/b, 4 Lovebirds Halo,Tye-Die,Luna,Violet,8 Cockatiels,Num Num&Tundra,8-Ball&Angus,Magnet&Sunkist,Pearl, Blush, 1 gouldian finch, 7 canaries
just curious....

when one of my birds is either on my shoulder or my head, another bird will swoop in and take their place, forcing the other one to fly away.

for example: If Halo(my lovebird) is on my shoulder, Kahlua(my pineapple conure) will swoop in,forcing Halo off my shoulder

this is where I wish I had 5 heads, and 5 sets of shoulders:eek:

so my question is: is this behavioural or lack of training on my part.

on occasion I have 7 birds hovering over me to land, all jockeying for position.

I can shoe some of them away, but as soon as one lands, another one comes in and takes their spot.

how do I fix this with so many birds??:confused:

weco

Nov 24, 2010
USA
Parrots
Nanday, suns, parrotlet, Patagonian
I know exactly what you're going through.....several years ago, I had 16 birds & was working out of the country, coming home for week & two week visits.....

When I would come home, I would open all the cages & I would have 16 birds on me without any fighting or jockeying for position, however, on a normal day, there was jockeying for position & petty jealousies showed up.....to help with that, everybody was not let out at the same time.....except those times I would return home.....

You've got a much wider range of bird species than I ever have, so maybe some training is needed or like I used to do, not let everybody out at the same time...when I did that, I'd vary who got out first.....

Most Reactions