Why Do People Have Cats If They Just Let Them Run Outside All-Day, Every-Day???

SilleIN

Aug 18, 2016
Denmark
Parrots
Lots of parrots, most of them rescues
I have a big problem with moles but since I keep the cats inside they are of no help. I live in the woods but have plenty of chipmunks...I could send you some if you like ;)

Today I was down in my shop and needed some sandpaper which I have dozens of boxes of in my cabinet. I opened the drawer only to find that the friggin mice had been nesting there and had consumed 4 of the boxes to make a nest...luckily the sandpaper was unharmed....b@$#@$&#!

Well if the chipmunks at your place is as big as the ones that stole my lunch in Central Park last I was in NY, I would prefer you keep them- they were BIG!. The chipmunks in Denmark are all red and quite small in comparison.

Also I am quite sure the government would be very upset if I introduced a foreign species into the Danish fauna. We have enough problems with US mink being released from fur farmers by activists. I know they think they are doing the mink a favour, but the mink are ferocious hunters and they kill off everything they get close to. Once one got into my chicken coup- in about 15 minutes it had killed 10 chickens. Luckily my dogs are well trained- I asked them to keep it cornered while I rescued the remaining live and injured birds (yup had about 20 chickens and ducks in my living room for 4 days until the mink was caught).

Sandy19

Mar 22, 2017
I didn't read the whole thread, but my neighbors have outside cats. I think they were strays they adopted, however, and couldn't really adapt as inside cats.

I had a cat once, Lieutenant Whiskers was his name. He was a feral cat that was in my yard one day and looked near death. I felt sorry for him and started feeding him for what turned into four years. He would sit in front of me like he wanted company and take tuna fish out of my hand, but never allowed me to actually pet him. This cat was scared of his own shadow.

I noticed he was starting to get sick and had mucus covered all over his face. I called animal control and they loaned me a trap so I could catch him and take him to a vet. I told the vet that I just want to get his vaccines and get him well if they think it's even possible, otherwise I'll have him euthanized. It turned out he had feline leukemia, but they thought they could get him well enough for 500 bucks and I agreed.

I told them I don't want him neutured, however, because I thought it would be to stressful on him. He was a feral cat that was extremely scared and I didn't think he should be surgically altered until he was fully well.

Well they thought they were doing something good and neutered him anyway for free.
I was really mad, I couldn't take care of that cat inside of my house until he healed like they told me, he was a feral cat. I had to let him out of the trap when we got home and he died under the crawl space of my house. That cost me an additional $250 to have an animal removal company get him out and my whole house smelled like death.

That is the story of Lieutenant Whiskers.

Sandy19

Mar 22, 2017
And my husband just looked at me and shook his head after I forked out $500 to save the cat and another $250 to remove his corpse from under the house a few days later. I'm not a crazy cat person lol, I was trying to do something good since he had been hanging around my house for years.

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
Just saw this thread..read "some" of it. I'm not a cat person either. Oh when growing up we had cats,and a couple of them were the BESTEST darn cats I have ever had the opportunity to know..BUT...they were also ALL indoor kittys!
My neighbor had cats too..but let them roam all day/all night outside. One would get squished by a car crossing the street to the corn field and in a couple days there was a replacement cat.
When I was thirteen,I had a pet English Sparrow that I raised from just days old,given to me by the young girl (Maryellen was like nine years old) of these cat-people. Chii-Chii and I were out in the back yard one summer day and he was walking the ground picking at bugs and grubs and stuff,when out of NOWHERE came "FeeFee" the CAT and pounced on Chii-Chii. I ran and grabbed that !@#$%$ cat by the neck and choked it so freaking hard to make it open its jaws and drop my poor Chii-Chii. The poor bird was dead :02: I assume just from fright since I didn't see any wounds. Two weeks later I'm in the back yard and hear tires squeeling and then a THUD...only to see Fee-Fee run from under a car and lay down in my neighbors front yard,with blood coming from its mouth..the cat was dead in a few minutes :D I felt zero sorrow for that feline..but,thats what cats do,eat birds and rodents. I should have been more aware and vigilant,but I was just a kid. At any rate,I personally will never own a cat..I'll have fish first!

Jim

TrebleMama

Nov 22, 2019
Michigan
Parrots
Treble-Red-Headed Amazon
Crazy cat person here :D Our cat is indoor/outdoor because he's a working cat. He patrols our property (2 acres, rural) and keeps rodents under control, as well as keeps other bigger critters away (stray cats, raccoons, possums etc). I've seen him stare down a deer before, nobody comes onto his property without his approval, LOL. We've had our cat for 7 years now (got him as a barn kitten), and while he's a 'pet,' he's in a different category than say our new Amazon or my daughter's bearded dragons.

eta: his vet caters a lot towards rural animals (farm animals, horses etc), and on his chart he is labeled as a working cat-it's a designation they give to cats who work on farms etc.

Last edited:

Most Reactions