Why do we never see black cockatoos in the States?

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
I'm only a birdo, Scott, just like you and everyone. Taxonomy was my specialty at uni, but I haven't practiced it for many years: I just try to stay as current as I can (not always successfully, sadly). It never ceases to amaze me how people seem to be so fascinated by the big cockies, yet never seem interested in the little jewels of the Australian bush, like the grass parrots or the ringneck parrots or the many lorikeets found here. Even the humble budgie occurs in massive wild flocks, big enough to take your breath away. But people still hanker after the big cockies...

LOL! I s'pose I can't talk. There *is* Rosetta after all. ;)

I suspect for some the trophy aspect of big/beautiful/exotic mask the goodness of aforementioned species.

Rozalka

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 23, 2018
Media
Albums
Poland
Parrots
Bourke's parrots, green cheeked conure
Oh my god!! I just saw a posting for a red-tailed black in FL on hoobly! Clearly not in my price range, but great news to see that apparently there are a few in the States (so long as this is not a scam... ugh)

https://www.hoobly.com/p/qdE3j
Anyway if that's truth or scam I'm sure in US there are black cockatoos. This is one of the biggest and highly developed countries. RTB2's as the most common (but as you see still rare) species of this genus are there for sure, I think they also aren't the only one "blackie" species but I can't say if all 5 are in US. I live in Poland - country definitly smaller and less developed than US. If here are RTB2's (in one of previous posts I wrote about them), in US they have to be for sure. We often don't know so rare species can be in our country/state because they are in a small amount and often are hard to breed - in the effect they also are rare for sale. I love rare ones and few times I was suprised reading that species "x" is availble in Poland. This would be so strange if something would be here but not in US

OP
D

Duchessbird

Sep 6, 2019
St. Louis, MO, USA
Parrots
Female eclectus, male Stella's lorikeet
Oh my god!! I just saw a posting for a red-tailed black in FL on hoobly! Clearly not in my price range, but great news to see that apparently there are a few in the States (so long as this is not a scam... ugh)

Anyway if that's truth or scam I'm sure in US there are black cockatoos. This is one of the biggest and highly developed countries. RTB2's as the most common (but as you see still rare) species of this genus are there for sure, I think they also aren't the only one "blackie" species but I can't say if all 5 are in US. I live in Poland - country definitly smaller and less developed than US. If here are RTB2's (in one of previous posts I wrote about them), in US they have to be for sure. We often don't know so rare species can be in our country/state because they are in a small amount and often are hard to breed - in the effect they also are rare for sale. I love rare ones and few times I was suprised reading that species "x" is availble in Poland. This would be so strange if something would be here but not in US

Are European countries pretty strict about importation as well?

Rozalka

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 23, 2018
Media
Albums
Poland
Parrots
Bourke's parrots, green cheeked conure

Are European countries pretty strict about importation as well?
I don't really know this. Maybe this depends on which part of Europe. Generally here rare species are firstly in western countries.

Cardinal

Jul 1, 2014
India
Parrots
Currently I have none, but I have the capacity to adopt a minimum and maximum of two budgies - preferably a bonded pair or two males.
My inner biologist insists that animals should live where they evolved. The thought of a tropical cockatoo or macaw living in the northern hemisphere makes me sad. I'm glad the Oz government finally woke up and protected our wildlife. It's too unique to muck around with its safety, y'know?

PS. Palm cockatoos have an *amazing* social structure which depends heavily on its flock mentality. The thought of one being kept in isolation gives me the cold chills. :(

I cannot agree more with you on both these points. Many people forget that most parrot species -probably 395 out of the nearly 400 species , even if bred in captivity for 4 or more generations, are still

1. Wild Animals

and/or

2. Highly Social Animals.

:yellow1::yellow1::yellow1:

riddick07

Dec 22, 2011
PA
Parrots
Blue & Gold Macaw (Titan) & Yellow Naped Amazon (Kelly)
The red tail black cockatoos are in the states at least. I know someone with one and it was about $15,000. Most annoying freaking call I’ve ever heard. Though it was super friendly. There are breeders with rarer species but you have to have the connections and the cash to find them.

ursulanie2012

Jun 12, 2019
CHN
Parrots
Green Wing
Rare, expensive, difficult to breed. I've only seen specimens of yellow/white/red tail in museum in Northern Territory.:(

Noahs_Birds

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 24, 2019
Toowoomba/Highfields, QLD, Australia
Parrots
Yellow Sided GCC's, Rosa Bourkes Parrots, Full Red Fronted Turqoisine Parrots, Quaker Parrots 'Scomo PM' 'Jenny PM's wife', PLUS: Rare Finches, Doves and Quail
I know where I could buy all the species and subspecies of Black Cockatoos and point someone in the direction to find them, I just don't have the money to buy them
Species not available in countries including ours, Australia, is largely to do with the closure of live importation of exotic animals in the 1940's (you can get birds in but it is an extremely large amount of money and paperwork), because of all these new diseases like Newcastles disease, that could wipe out entire populations of birds
Exportation to countries is very expensive as well, and a heap of paperwork to do as well, but you would need ridiculous amounts of money
Very similar stories happen here in Australia, especially with finches, like for example the Lavender Waxbill
They were brought into the country in low numbers to begin with, a few succeeded in breeding them, but because of low numbers and specialized requirements, they eventually had their gene pools go down to very few birds before they dissapeared altogether

Something is very unusual happening here in Australia
If you don't already know, our Hyacinth Macaws are kept in low but stable numbers.
The unusual thing is, people who don't even have pairs of them all of a sudden have one, or have just got one and they are hand rearing them on the table - so where do they come from
They don't come our captive stock!
Hyacinth Macaws and others like Horned Parrots are being brought into the country illegally from the Philippines as eggs that people like Flight attendants on planes are bringing over, good for populations for new genetic material, but not good for any diseases being brought in
We are still loosing species in Australia due to the drop in gene pools, but breeders like myself just need to keep working with them and keep good, genetically varied populations
There is a rule, to make a long lasting, stable population, you require 20 unrelated pairs (40 birds) to keep a population going
Obviously in America with Black Cockies that was their downfall with low numbers being brought in and breeders having difficulty breeding them in the different climates and environments
I keep Javan Munias, and they are a species at risk of being gone from Australia, but I am working with them and trying to build up numbers from some old stock I got from a breeder in Tasmania, plus I am getting some younger stock soon from a bloke in Sydney next month

All species in Aviculture require hard work from dedicated breeders in order to keep captive populations of species going
Thanks
Noah Till

saurian

Sep 26, 2019
My room. 24/7.
Parrots
Mister, Budgie, 2008-17
I'd imagine it was the rarity and therefore importing costs. If you did happen to see one, I think you'd be looking at a very, very hefty price. If you're after one, I can have a look online if you'd like?

Most Reactions