Why is Beemer Acting So Funny

Facex2

Nov 25, 2010
Ok so I have had Beemer for a month now and we have been doing good but this weekend she is acting strange ok for starters she is molting I know how fussy they can be but my neice is over and Beemer goes after her like she wants to attack her she also puffs up and makes a purr sound she is very loving to me allot more than ever before . I am not sure on what's going on with her I have never had a female parrot how do they act when they want to mate and when do they mate

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
Jake YNA 1970,Kia Panama amazon1975, both i removed from nest and left siblings, Forever Home to,Stacie (YN hen),Mickie (RLA male),Blinkie (YNA hen),Kong (Panama hen),Rescue Zons;Nitro,Echo,Rocky,Rub
I've had a hen amazon most of my life.They come into "season" when they ever they want too.The issue is when the male is ready, seems like hens are always ready.(Sorry but that's the way it seems).She might get a little more bitey,possessive,but she can stay in "season" for long periods if "conditions" are right.What turns them on? That's a whole book. If we as breeders could figure all that out ,it would make our life so much easier.But a female of any species is a trial for all of us knuckle draggers.

kerry

Jul 3, 2011
In a suburb of Minneapolis, MN
Parrots
Yellow Naped Amazon -female, Umbrella Cockatoo - female.
It sounds to me like Beemer is jealous of your relationship with your relationship with your niece. My Yellow Nape Lila does the same thing with my granddaughter, my granddaughter & I are very close. Lila is jealous of me spending close emotional & physical time with her. I never let Lila out of her cage when my grandkids are here for that reason. Lila acts very aggressive toward my granddaughter even when she is in her cage, that is how I knew not to let her out. The last thing that I would ever want is something bad to happen between Lila & my grandaughter. I would recommend not letting her out when your niece is over. Your niece might get bitten.

Most Reactions