Wild food

catfish

Oct 30, 2013
I posted this question in food and did not get a reply, so re-posting here. Has anyone foraged for wild food to feed their bird. Did not find any info. on the internet.

GaryBV

Nov 2, 2013
Southwestern Pennsylvania
Parrots
Pacific Parrotlets - green Beanieboy and blue Skya;
Fischer Lovebirds - Mariposa and Papillon
Well I have picked wild raspberries and blackberries, and wild apple trees, all growing on our acreage that I know have not been sprayed. Other than these things I can't imagine what I would trust feeding to my birds. OHHH - I have given them dandelion leaves as well. I have not foraged for any wild grains or mushrooms, etc., I just don't trust to feed to my birds.

Jewelz

Oct 26, 2013
Vancouver, BC, Canada
Parrots
Black-cap Conure - 'Felix' -Hatched May. 12/2013
Peach-Face Love Bird - 'Sam' (1990-2013)
Organic 'you pick' farms are AWESOME if you live in an area that has them plus they also make for great 'date' days & family days. I am not sure I would start looking for food for Felix in more random areas like parks or fields as I worry about pesticides, misidentification of plant species, etc......

Blueridge

Sep 16, 2013
North Carolina
Parrots
Rocky - Yellow-Faced Quaker Parrot
I haven't done it, I'd be scared of random poisonous crap my family might have sprayed to kill ants or something. But it seems fun to do! I agree with Jewelz, the You-Pick farms would be really cool, I might try that one day

Mike17

Aug 12, 2013
Media
Albums
Outback Western Australia
Parrots
Alex- Eclectus, Ariel- whiteface, Junior- pied, Custard-lutino, Ziggy- pearl cockatiels, Kermit- Princess parrot, Jade- Plumhead parrot, George- budgie, Coco- Rainbow lorikeet, Corey-Little Corella.
I pick grass from my lawn- there is an exotic grass called Buffel Grass locally which seeds all the time- the wild birds eat it too. Plus millet, sunflower and panicum which come up from my winnowing efforts. Even couch, which is the "actual" or "wanted" part of the lawn. Not much scope for wild harvest as such since I live in a near-desert, but we occasionally collect gum leaves and gumnuts.

wjgonzalez

Apr 9, 2013
I posted this question in food and did not get a reply, so re-posting here. Has anyone foraged for wild food to feed their bird. Did not find any info. on the internet.

I live in South Texas, and feed my parrot Mesquite pods. I also feed my parrot lamb's quarters and pig weed (Amaranthus spp.)

Most Reactions

Latest posts