Wild Parrots in Los Angeles (What are they?)

Remy

Jul 13, 2011
California
Parrots
Darcy (Golden-Collared Macaw), Puck (Caique - RIP)
I frequently visit Los Angeles to see my boyfriend. We often see wild parrots around, especially in Pasadena, because we're there a lot and there are a lot of them. A couple weeks ago we saw a huge flock take over a couple trees! They were SO LOUD! There was at least 100 wild parrots, possibly more. I wasn't able to get a close look, but they looked green with some red on their heads.
:green1:
Supposedly they are from a pet shop that burned down in the early 1900s. Somebody released them to save their lives, and they went wild! One source even said that LA now has it's own breed of parrot that isn't found anywhere else.

I googled it, and different sources say different things. Some say they are amazons, others say they are parakeets (not budgies). Does anyone know anything about this?

Those parrots sure looked like they were happy and having a great time!

Spiritbird

Banned
Banned
Aug 20, 2009
Media
I was at a meeting of bird club and one of the members was talking about her visit to the wild parrots and the guy that started it all happened to be there also. She was so excited to tell us about it. The birds are red bellied conures, at least that is what she told us.

OP
Remy

Remy

Jul 13, 2011
California
Parrots
Different sources seem to say different things. I have read conures, parakeets, and amazons. The ones I saw were pretty big though, so I think they were amazons.

merlinsmom13

Jul 27, 2010
Beckley, WV
Parrots
Merlin a Red Crowned Amazon
Some are Merlins relatives a RCA or Mexican Red Headed amazons, you can see them on youtube. I think that some are the red conures, like the Parrots of Telegraph Hill.

pityu

Sep 20, 2010
Media
sweden, lund
Parrots
2 love birds.
He is called Pityu
She is called Citrus
They are 3years old, she is a little older than him
could be lovebirds though, sounds similar to the one i have. Where they small?

c3honey84

Mar 9, 2011
New Jersey
Parrots
Female Eclectus-"Roxy"
Apparently in 2001, the Red Crowned Amazon was put on the official list of California birds. Lilac Crowned Amazons have also been seen living in California but not as abundant as the Red Crowned. From what I read, it says that they are native to eastern Mexico, and some naturally migrated to Southern California. However, in recent decades, there has been a major increase in their population.

OP
Remy

Remy

Jul 13, 2011
California
Parrots
pityu - They were deefinitely bigger than lovebirds! Are there lovebirds too?

c3honey84 - That sounds like what they probably were!

handsome39

Apr 23, 2012
I frequently visit Los Angeles to see my boyfriend. We often see wild parrots around, especially in Pasadena, because we're there a lot and there are a lot of them. A couple weeks ago we saw a huge flock take over a couple trees! They were SO LOUD! There was at least 100 wild parrots, possibly more. I wasn't able to get a close look, but they looked green with some red on their heads.
Supposedly they are from a pet shop that burned down in the early 1900s. Somebody released them to save their lives, and they went wild! One source even said that LA now has it's own breed of parrot that isn't found anywhere else.

I googled it, and different sources say different things. Some say they are amazons, others say they are parakeets (not budgies). Does anyone know anything about this?

I see them in Eagle Rock where I live all the time flying around they are green with red heads. My friend lives in Pasadena and has been feeding one peanuts he says they like them and now has one as a pet.

OP
Remy

Remy

Jul 13, 2011
California
Parrots

I see them in Eagle Rock where I live all the time flying around they are green with red heads. My friend lives in Pasadena and has been feeding one peanuts he says they like them and now has one as a pet.

How funny! My boyfriend is Eagle Rock! Actually, I am too at the moment, although I don't live here. I love this area though. Did your friend figure out what kind of parrot it is?

FutureDVM

Jan 20, 2012
Colorado
Parrots
Crimson Bellied Conure (Penny), Maximillian Pionus (Piper), Lovebird (Poco)
Have you seen the documentary "The Wild Parrots of Telegraph Hill"? The birds there are cherry headed conures, along with some cherry headed/mitred conure hybrids. I'm not sure where Telegraph Hill is in relation to LA though.

goalerjones

Oct 24, 2011
Parrots
Hahn's macaw, RIP George, Jenday Conure
Have you seen the documentary "The Wild Parrots of Telegraph Hill"? The birds there are cherry headed conures, along with some cherry headed/mitred conure hybrids. I'm not sure where Telegraph Hill is in relation to LA though.

I cried when Connor died...and Telegraph Hill is San Francisco

QuackQuack

Oct 20, 2011
Midwest USA
Parrots
KITTY: Pineapple Green Cheek Conure (2 year old)
BODE: Nanday Conure (5 years old)
KIWI & BLUE: English Budgerigars (RIP after 10 years)
In LA, it could be anything! Did you know there are wild quakers in Chicago, IL!!! What do they do in the winter I wonder...

Featheredsamurai

Aug 24, 2011
California
Parrots
African Greg
2 cockatiels
There are wild red headed amazons in socal, and I've seen the conures up in San Fransisco.

There's small colony's of parrots all over California.

OP
Remy

Remy

Jul 13, 2011
California
Parrots
Awesome! I keep hearing about Parrots on Telegraph Hill, but I haven't watched it yet.

The ones that have gotten close enough for me to sorta see looked pretty big, with some red on their heads. I was thinking they might be Amazons, but the wings and tails look kind of pointy. :-D

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
That Documentary is great Remy, you should watch it! There are the Mexican red headed amazons there. Cherry head conures are in that area. Lovebirds live in Arizona as well and they're populating pretty good there.

OP
Remy

Remy

Jul 13, 2011
California
Parrots
I will see if my local video stores have it!

Most Reactions

Latest posts