Wild Senegal

Spiritbird

Banned
Banned
Aug 20, 2009
Media
Please give us more details. Was this parrot captured in the wild or are you speaking of behavior? Let us know what bird is doing and your background as far as bird handling goes so that we may help more. Welcome!!

Chaos_1.0

Jul 1, 2009
East Texas
Parrots
Cockatiel, Lovebird, 3 Parakeets
Without knowing more about the bird and yourself, I would say the best way to get a bird to trust you is to let it come out of its cage on its own and let it just hang out on top. Then after it gets used to that give it treats from your hand and it will learn that your hands are not evil. Then slowly but surely you can try to start petting it and seeing how it goes from there.

OP
J

Judge360

Jan 20, 2010
Thanks he's been in the family for 3yrs I've had him for around 5 months think he was wild caught before we got him.
He comes out of his cage and takes food from my hand tho very weary and scared
I've took control of his food in order to try and get him to come to me.
His cage is 5'x4'x4 he's healthy chirpy and curious but seems reluctant to have anything to do with humans trys to bite and show he's the boss lol
Any help would be appreciated

Spiritbird

Banned
Banned
Aug 20, 2009
Media
I do not think taking control of his food is a good thing. Birds need their food. I suggest you go back to step one and try to establish a bond with him first. The way to do this is to be with him one on one. Talk to him, read him stories, sing to him, eat with him. You eat your food and he will want you food too. Forming a bond with any parrot takes time. Educate yourself by reading about the species. If he was wild caught he must be so frustrated in captivity so it may take even longer for you. Good luck.

Auggie's Dad

Administrator
Dec 28, 2007
Media
Albums
South Hadley MA
Parrots
Auggie: Dusky Conure
I'd agree with SB.

You are not going to 'show him who's boss'. That will only lead to him becoming more distrusting of you and will drive you both crazy.

You are not trying to 'break' a wild animal, you are trying to earn his trust.

OP
J

Judge360

Jan 20, 2010
How do i earn his trust? Ive spent hours on end trying yet he's still skittish and scared. I spend around 4-5 hours a day talking to him,being around him and feeding him from my hand. I think i may have come across wrong in saying ive taken control of his food.
Hes always got food in his cage, ive taken control of all treats so to speak as well as some of his food.
When he comes to get treats he trys to bite he makes a ttttdddd sound his pupils go small then he attacks, he does this all the time as if defending his terrritory.
I dont mind this at all when hes in his cage as hes only doing what he would do naturally in the wild defending his terrortory, but he does it out his cage when getting treats { not sure if this behaviour is normal }
He wont let me pet him if i try to stroke his head he trys to bite which ive let him bite me several times reluctlantly coz it hurts lol. And he will also move away very scared.
He'll take nuts fruit raisins dried bannana etc from my hand no problem.
He listens to every thing i say to him trys to talk but cant, he comes out his cage onto a flap on his cage outside and sits and listens waits for treats etc but will have nothing todo with me if i try to get near him pet him or step up.
estimate his age to be around 5-10 yrs old could be wrong tho.
Ive found out everything I can by google on his specicies, and keeps coming up that wild senegals or none hand reared senegals do not make good pets!
However, im not giving up on him! {which i think i should giving everything ive read} I believe hell come round eventually.
I just dont know how to do it lol ive ran out of ideas.
I thought taking control of most his food so to speak would get him more used to coming out his cage, he cant fly! either trys but not very well.
Not sure what more ive got to do to earn his trust??
I think he does trust me in order to get food and that is all!!
Otherwise as in petting or any social correspondence he doesnt want to know.
I can leave the room for only a couple of mins and hell be out his cage on the chair gettin his treats!
Ive thought about toweling him to get him to trust me and know im not going to hurt him not sure if it will work tho!

Any more help and advice would be appreciated

Thanks

Tommy

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Latest posts