Will a Hawk attack a Macaw?

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
When you say part of the show, I do hope you meant a different show. I would really hope they wouldn't put the Cockatoo (or human) at risk on purpose. However if she knew what was coming, it would account for her quick action.

NO. The hawk was part of the next act.

The trainer let the bird go too soon. The bird flies for a food reward. The hawk was actually doing something it was initially trained to do, then realized there was a full meal just sitting there for the taking:

"Oh look at that, they're serving fresh cockatoo today."

It was the idiot behind the scenes that wasn't paying attention to the cues who let the hawk out early that caused this near death experience for the too... Bet the lady holding the too had some choice words for him as well!

ToMang07

Jul 14, 2015
Maine, USA
Parrots
Willow the Umbrella Cockatoo
Glad I saw this thread. We have a lot of raptors around, (watched a Bald Eagle fly over the house just yesterday) but we have 2 regular residents on the property, one Red Tail and Peregrine Falcon. So I may be re-thinking flight lessons on my property. Willow will be supervised at all times regardless, but Falcons are ridiculously fast.

jasper19

Supporting Member
Aug 13, 2014
North Dakota, USA
Parrots
Congo African Grey "Angel"

Muloccan Cockatoo "Bahama"
As well as worrying about the hawk coming down to your bird, you also need to worry about your parrot seeing the hawk before you do, and becoming spooked and flying off or trying to fly and injure themselves. They get really spooked around large birds of prey....even just a picture or statue of one from my experience!

Most Reactions