Wing B-b-b-b-b-b-b-b-barbering????????????

OP
GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month πŸ†
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 38-year-old Patagonian Conure
Thanks, Chris!
Go, Team PARROT FORUMS!!!!

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
...So here's what I did... really, just all the standard-time-tested-always-good stuff... more toys, more food variety, more time out, more baths...
And one more unusual suggestion from the vet...
He was speculating about mid-wing arthritis and suggsted that when the Rb begs for a "lift" as opposed to just flying (this is more common over the last few years) that I give in to him, as he may be barbering out of pain when he flies a lot. So I did that.

He's in the middle of his big flight/tail feather moult, so the jury is still out, but it LOOKS as if he is growing in new mid-wing feathers...

Just seeing this post, Abigail. Your vet sounds amazing! Considering arthritis as a possible source for his barbering and cause of his asking for lifts was a very insightful suggestion. Thank you so much for sharing this, as I'm sure it will help others with senior parrots as well.

OP
GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month πŸ†
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
Thanks, Anansi, so much. I love our vet.

I forgot to mention that the vet also suggested being especilly generous with lifts during the big yearly wing/tail feather moult.

And... something I'll NEVER do again... ever...
During his yearly stud-rooster phase (it varies, but usually the worst of it is between May and July), he can be such an incredible sexual pest that I'll purposefully move from room to room, making him fly and fly and finally wear himself out. From now on, I'll just put up with him. Gah.

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
Did the vet say anything about striking a balance between encouraging exercise and giving him more lifts? I ask because I don't doubt that part of his vigor springs from his more active lifestyle. Or is it a situation where the possibility of arthritis is enough of a threat to his quality of life that he should only be flying when it's his idea to do so?

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Did the vet say anything about striking a balance between encouraging exercise and giving him more lifts? I ask because I don't doubt that part of his vigor springs from his more active lifestyle. Or is it a situation where the possibility of arthritis is enough of a threat to his quality of life that he should only be flying when it's his idea to do so?

Arthritis with Avians is much like with Humans - bad days and good days. Our flighed Amazons would always fly when comfortable and less so when they are hurting. Over the years, it has become clear that the joy of flight and the freedom it offers them, will have them choosing flight first.

If a long term flier is begging for a ride, s/he likely is suffering either from the pain of wing joints or possibly ill. The key point is long time flier as with older Amazons want to fly. A transitioning Amazon its more an issue of knowing your Parrot.

Last edited:
OP
GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month πŸ†
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
Thanks for that discussion.

The vet did discuss that, yes. A balance.

Most of the time the Rb terrorizes the place as usual. He has a very clear begging request... he yells GAIL and or lifts a foot. This usually happens in the evening, which figures, right, after a long day of harassing me? Some days he doesn't do it at all. Sometimes he goes days or a week without doing it. Good days and bad, I guess, yeah. So yes, he flies when it's his idea to do so, definitely. Just like everything else, he does what he wants when he wants.

Oh, and here's another example of why my vet is so great. He knows the Rb (AND ME) well enough to suggest that I keep an eye out for manipulation. He says that if there's a rapid spike in non-stop begging, it's probaby attention/control-seeking, and we'll have to sort that out.

Nothing's ever easy with the Rb.

OP
GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month πŸ†
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
I absolutely resemble that remark!!!!!!!!

Most Reactions

Latest posts