Wing-clip advice?

lilypinku

Apr 8, 2013
Australia
Parrots
Ollie, GCC
Hi, first-time poster here. I have been the proud owner of a green-cheek, Ollie, since January. Ollie is happy, well-adjusted and healthy but I have one question in regards to her development. She was clipped by the pet store before I received her and, from what I can see, all ten primary feathers have been clipped on one side and around six on the other. Upon taking her to the (avian) vet, the vet confirmed my suspicions of it being a rather severe clip but told me to leave it and it would eventually regrow.

I was under the impression that an even wing-clip was best if it was to be done. Would the vet be recommending me to leave Ollie's clip as-is because it's already a harsh clip, or should I get a second opinion? Ollie's about five months old now; roughly at what age should I expect her flight feathers to grow back?

Thanks in advance!

Echo

Dec 7, 2009
USA
Parrots
Green Cheek Conures, Crimson Conures, CAG, Pionus, Budgies, Goffin Cockatoo
Yes an even clip is a better option, however in your case, evening it out would mean to clip an additional 4 feathers on one side and it is way too much. I agree with your vet to let it be at this point. For a Green Cheek I never clip more that 6 feathers per wing. Sometimes, 4 per wing is enough to slow them down depending on the bird.

weco

Nov 24, 2010
USA
Parrots
Nanday, suns, parrotlet, Patagonian
When she was clipped, the clipper probably just miscounted the feathers...there's no reason to just clip 5 on one side & 6 on the other.....the reason the vet said to not worry about it is that it's not going to really affect her abilities.....her first molt should come in within the next six months.....when you start seeing feathers in her cage or laying around on the floor, it will have started.....

Welcome to the forum.....

Hmmm, guess I need new glasses, that's what I get for browsing instead of reading.....but since she was clipped anyway, she won't be doing any flying until her new feathers molt in.....

I've also got to quit starting a reply then coming back to it.....

Last edited:

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
An un-even wing clip may or may not be better than a severe wing clip of both sides. I would recommend leaving them as well, unless she has difficulty trying to fly/glide.

You should expect her to molt any time between now and a year in age.

OP
lilypinku

lilypinku

Apr 8, 2013
Australia
Parrots
Ollie, GCC
Thanks very much for the advice thus far; really appreciate it.

She seems pretty well adjusted, but because she was already clipped when I got her I have no idea if she actually knows how to fly properly. She's been known to, when getting too excited and gliding from her cage, faceplant into the carpet (she's mostly stopped this now, thank goodness) but she's still a bit wobbly. Should I be concerned? She definitely can't fly as such -- she can make it a few inches off the ground and that's about it.

Sorry about all the questions -- a clipped bird is new to me (last birds were flighted) and I'm leaning toward not clipping again after this!

Hoping you guys like pics as much as I do, so I can share...

Attachments

• IMG_0352.jpg
    IMG_0352.jpg
    14.7 KB · Views: 116

aliray

Jan 28, 2012
Rotonda West , Fla
Parrots
yellow sided green cheek conure,Chiquita Quaker parrot Sweetie Pie, African red bellied parrot Tiki, spanish timbrado canary Lucas
Cute bird and welcome to the forum:)

Most Reactions

Latest posts