Wing Clip Failed and Watery Stool

ksuyen

Nov 3, 2015
Media
Parrots
Sun Conure
Quaker Parrot
Wing Clip Failed and Watery Stool

To cut long story short, Mango's wing clip was not done properly by his breeder. Yesterday I accidentally touch the part where his right wing was cut and he scream in pain. Since the cut part is usually hidden underneath his secondary feather, I never noticed it, so I spread open his wing, and I saw part of his bone has been cut! :mad:

Second thing that I noticed this morning, his stool has became very watery with no solid shape. He has finished his course of Antibiotic and anti-fungus. Should I give him probiotic? Mango seldom drinks, and I am afraid he is getting dehydrated. :confused:

OP
ksuyen

ksuyen

Nov 3, 2015
Media
Parrots
Sun Conure
Quaker Parrot
But it's been 2 months, and there is no bleeding. I think the wound is closed, but it might be a sensitive area still. It looks like it's in the process of healing, but I am not sure. Will the bone grows back? Will the feather grows back? I suppose the cut feathers will fall off and replaced by new ones during molting?

I would never cut his wing anymore, I prefer to let it grows and just used harness when go outdoor.

riddick07

Dec 22, 2011
PA
Parrots
Blue & Gold Macaw (Titan) & Yellow Naped Amazon (Kelly)
Bones don't grow back. Can you get pics of it by any chance?

Pinioning is done to prevent flight if this is what happened to your guy he won't be able to fly anymore.

ZephyrFly

Sep 21, 2014
UK
Parrots
Pazu - Green Cheek Conure - Hatch Date ~27 September 2014~
That sounds barbaric, it's one thing to just clip a bird, those feathers grow back.

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
Unfortunately, pinioning is all too real. And it's every bit as barbaric as it sounds.

Victoria is right. If this is what happened, Mango will never fly again. And despite this having happened 2 months ago, I'd still take him to an avian vet as Tom suggested... especially if his stool remains watery. (A watery stool or two isn't necessarily indicative of a problem. But more than that is a cause for concern.)

Have you addressed this with the breeder? Whether this was an accident or done on purpose, that breeder should never be allowed to clip any bird's wings ever again!

OP
ksuyen

ksuyen

Nov 3, 2015
Media
Parrots
Sun Conure
Quaker Parrot
I am not sure if it was pinioning, or just accident cutting too deep, seeing as it's only happened on right side wing, not both. In any cases, trip to doctor is in order. Does anyone ever heard about bird who don't drink water much?

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
Let me put it this way. I've had Maya since September of 2014 and I still have yet to catch her drinking from her water bowl. She obviously does, as proven by her undessicated state, but not frequently enough for me to catch her doing it. (She's kind of a freak that way. I've never seen her sleeping, either. If I'm close enough to make out the features of her face, she's already staring at me... willing me to pick her up.)

Note, though, that my birds do eat an all fresh diet. So they get most of their water that way.

plumsmum2005

Nov 18, 2015
England, UK
Parrots
Lou, Ruby, and Sonu.
Fly free Plum, my gorgeous boy.
I am not sure if it was pinioning, or just accident cutting too deep, seeing as it's only happened on right side wing, not both. In any cases, trip to doctor is in order. Does anyone ever heard about bird who don't drink water much?
Mine only has 3 gulps a day and luckily is part of bedtime routine so visible, and if I see him drinking during the day it's a signal a trip to the AV is imminent.. If you have a drink will your bird be interested in some, mine always wants what I have?

2BadBadger

Nov 23, 2015
England
Parrots
"Mama,Papa" Green Cheek Conures,"Judge" a Black Capped Conure,Fudgie the Budgie,Charlie the Patagonian Conure,Titan and Pearl the Diamond Doves.
I have never and will never understand or accept wing clipping.It seems to stand against everything a bird is and part of why we love them.

It's like buying a dog and cutting each paw off so it can't run around the park to fast or chase a cat,no one would ever consider doing that even though difficult to handle dogs are just as likely to escape or attack someone.

Mudkips

May 6, 2012
Media
Melbourne, Australia
Parrots
Birdy the Green Cheek Conure
It's impossible to be sure from your description, but maybe you touched a new feather growing out of Mango's wing?

New feathers grow out of white tubes that look like bones, and they are very sensitive to the bird if you touch them, they act like it really hurts!

Here's a picture of a big one growing out a long tail feather:
Green-Cheek-Conure-Tail-Molting.jpg

Instead of a broken bone sticking out, could it be a smaller one of these on his wing?

As for his poos, does he eat a lot of wet foods? That and drinking juice can make parrots have wet poos.

Apologies in advance if you know all this already. And naturally if you're not sure, definitely take him to an avian vet!

riddick07

Dec 22, 2011
PA
Parrots
Mudkips that is actually what I was thinking it was since pinioning would have been obvious right away...why I was hoping for pics:D

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
I have never and will never understand or accept wing clipping.It seems to stand against everything a bird is and part of why we love them.

It's like buying a dog and cutting each paw off so it can't run around the park to fast or chase a cat,no one would ever consider doing that even though difficult to handle dogs are just as likely to escape or attack someone.

Everyone is certainly entitled to their opinion in this HIGHLY controversial topic. We do, however, ask that IF this topic comes up (and it comes up VERY frequently) for everyone to remain civil and polite.

Wing clipping is a personal choice. Different strokes for different folks. And no two circumstances are ever alike.

And FWIW, wing clipping can certainly not be compared to cutting off a dog's paw :rolleyes:. Limbs don't grow back - feathers do. :)

riddick07

Dec 22, 2011
PA
Parrots
Wendy I didn't want to touch that with a ten foot pole:eek::D

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
It's impossible to be sure from your description, but maybe you touched a new feather growing out of Mango's wing?

New feathers grow out of white tubes that look like bones, and they are very sensitive to the bird if you touch them, they act like it really hurts!

Here's a picture of a big one growing out a long tail feather:
Green-Cheek-Conure-Tail-Molting.jpg

Instead of a broken bone sticking out, could it be a smaller one of these on his wing?

As for his poos, does he eat a lot of wet foods? That and drinking juice can make parrots have wet poos.

Apologies in advance if you know all this already. And naturally if you're not sure, definitely take him to an avian vet!

I was thinking the same thing! New feathers, especially the bigger ones (tail and flight) have got to be painful to grow in. Kind of like a baby cutting teeth, only happens throughout their whole life. Birds can be very cranky and sensitive when you bump those tender new feathers.

As for wet poos, if he is on a dry food (or mostly dry food) diet and having consistently wet poos (not linked to bathing or some stressful event, they can have a couple wet poos after both these things before returning to normal without cause for concern), that is reason for a vet visit. It can range from an infection to stress to diabetes. Only a vet can be sure. If he's on a diet of wet foods, then wetter poos are pretty normal. When we got Kiwi he was on a dry food diet and had what a lot of people view as "normal" poos (dark green and kind of thick). As he's transitioned over the years to all fresh foods, he has much wetter poos now (and different colors depending on what he's eaten!), but it's not because he's sick, he's just consuming a lot of moisture. What you do need to look for in poops is 3 distinct parts- green feces (unless has eaten something like berries which can alter color temporarily), white urates and clear urine. If the feces is not well formed (it can be wet, but should be well formed), a constantly strange color with no food-related explanation, there are a lot of urates or the urine is not clear/excessive amounts of urine OR if you cannot see these 3 distinct parts in multiple poops, it is a good idea to see the vet.

Last edited:

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
...What you do need to look for in poops is 3 distinct parts- green feces (unless has eaten something like berries which can alter color temporarily), white urates and clear urine. If the feces is not well formed (it can be wet, but should be well formed), a constantly strange color with no food-related explanation, there are a lot of urates or the urine is not clear/excessive amounts of urine OR if you cannot see these 3 distinct parts in multiple poops, it is a good idea to see the vet.

Very true, and one of the better breakdowns of what to look for when examining droppings that I've read. Nice, April!

OP
ksuyen

ksuyen

Nov 3, 2015
Media
Parrots
Sun Conure
Quaker Parrot
Sorry for the late reply, here is the pic:
2zp32ap.jpg

The doctor said it should grow back and it isn't as serious as it look. I so hope that's true.

Here is the video after bath, he seems having fun with the toys.
[ame="https://youtu.be/8sMuikwjAzE"]Mango enjoying his playing time - YouTube[/ame]

As for diarrheas, I was told to wait for couple of days since he just finished his antibiotic course. It's normal to have running stools after the antibiotic treatment, and will resolve by itself. I was told to give him apple cider vinegar in his water for good bacteria to establish.

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
Yeah, just to put your mind at ease, your bird was NOT pinioned. NO bone was cut. He will regrow his flight feathers. :)

Please be VERY sparingly with the ACV. Drops, not teaspoons, ok?

Most Reactions