Wing Clipping & Conures

bizlawcaleb

May 7, 2011
Chicago
Parrots
Sun Conure - Mango
I saw this issue discussed for other types of parrots, but I was wondering what the pros and cons are of wing clipping. I've had my sun conure for 6 weeks and the wings were freshly clipped when I got him. He still can't fly (don't know how long they take to grow back), but I'm wondering about clipping them or not.

I would certainly prefer a flying bird if it is controllable. All of the windows have drapes, but there is a full length mirror I would have to cover to prevent accidents. I would just contain him to the room I'm in just so he's monitored. Also, I have two curious cats and a dog that would likely have to in different rooms when he flying about.

So, I think I have safety covered, my main problem is I don't want him flinging bird poop all over the place. Has anyone had any luck getting a flying conure to return to his perch to poop? If it's possible, I would enjoy the challenge of training him.

Any thoughts on clipping or not clipping would be nice. Thanks!

Sabbath

Apr 26, 2011
Media
From what I've read you want to make sure you have the bird tamed and have a strong comfortable bond between you and the bird. All the basic commands then get to flying training.

As for poop, I've heard of people training their bird to go back to their cage when they need to poop but how, I have no idea.

Most Reactions

Latest posts