wing trimming

oled

Jul 10, 2011
South Sweden
Parrots
Ville a double yellow head Amazon
I am training Ville to use avian harness but he is not ready to use it, and will not be this summer so today the wing was trimmed so that he also can be outdoor. I know that it is not totaly safe but in my garden it is dificult to fligh away.

I know a spe******t and without towel, just hand he can handle Ville. Ville is pist about it lol but not scared. It just takes 2 minutes and then he is back to normal, talking and playing

KellyH

Feb 14, 2012
Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Currently bird less.
Yes, do still be careful when outside. If they get enough wind under their wings they can still fly.

My BFA has his wings trimmed and when he was scared by my son suddenly coming in the room he flew at least 10 feet. You could tell it was hard because he really had to flap and he was panting a bit after but he can still do it.

They do get mad when we trim nails or wings but after a little treat they love us again. lol

Remy

Jul 13, 2011
California
Parrots
Darcy (Golden-Collared Macaw), Puck (Caique - RIP)
I tried to clip Puck's wings and he screamed like I was killing him! I couldn't get him to hold still enough, so I had my pro friend do it. He still screamed, but at least she was able to clip them. =P

Back to normal right after. =D

OP
oled

oled

Jul 10, 2011
South Sweden
Parrots
Ville a double yellow head Amazon
Yes, do still be careful when outside. If they get enough wind under their wings they can still fly.

My BFA has his wings trimmed and when he was scared by my son suddenly coming in the room he flew at least 10 feet. You could tell it was hard because he really had to flap and he was panting a bit after but he can still do it.

They do get mad when we trim nails or wings but after a little treat they love us again. lol

It sounds like the perfect trimming

KellyH

Feb 14, 2012
Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Currently bird less.

It sounds like the perfect trimming

Yes, he only needed 5 feathers on each side trimmed. Just enough to keep him from flying where ever he wants, but not too much that he would get hurt if he fell off his playstand. He doesn't fall to the ground like a sack of potatoes. lol

Most Reactions