Wingnuts and screws inside the McMansion

TulsiBlueVana

Oct 17, 2023
Media
Parrots
Tusli= Black-Capped Conure x1
I’m wondering about toys and perches that have wing nuts and washers, that I secure on the outside of Tulsi’s house- the screws are in her house- she likes to occasionally chew on those metal bits- do you ever put duct tape or something on the wing nuts that are inside so she can’t hurt herself climbing around or chew on them?

Attachments

• IMG_4049.jpeg
    IMG_4049.jpeg
    330.9 KB · Views: 9

Sidneybabs

Oct 27, 2023
Parrots
African Grey
Hi. If your bird is chewing on anything metal, I would rather replace with stainless steel, which you can buy off Amazon.

My African Grey has not long recovered from a year and a half of being ill, with zinc poisoning, that we managed to trace back to the metal that she was chewing on, on her cage bars. (She has been on and off meds all that time, trying to get the zinc out of her body).

The problem with metal is that it is zinc galvanized and if you have a bird that likes to chew on its cage bars or metal, this can be a problem.

Jcas

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Jan 9, 2023
Parrots
Quaker, 2 budgies
Hmm, I like the idea of covering them with something but I would not use any kind of tape. She will chew on it and if she swallows bits of sticky tape that could cause serious issues. I’m not sure what you could use instead… anyone else have ideas?

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
I’m wondering about toys and perches that have wing nuts and washers, that I secure on the outside of Tulsi’s house- the screws are in her house- she likes to occasionally chew on those metal bits- do you ever put duct tape or something on the wing nuts that are inside so she can’t hurt herself climbing around or chew on them?
I use wingnuts to attach toys to my birds cages, too. Buy stainless steel locking nuts (Nyloc) with no wings and tighten them with a wrench. They can be removed with a wrench but are much harder to unscrew than regular hex nuts. I can't tell what you attached to the cage with this screw/washer/wingnut combo. If you are attaching something for the bird to play with while inside the cage, put the nut on the outside of the cage rather than the inside of the cage. Birds definitely like to "screw with" these things! I had a cockatoo Casper in a large cage made of heavy panels held together by screw bolts and wingnuts. The panels were very long and formed a built in stand below. Casper would unscrew all the wingnuts literally taking the entire cage apart in the process. I subbed nuts without wings and she did the same thing- it just took her longer. Finally I wrapped duct tape around the legs of the stand portion to hold the panels together so Casper didn't get crushed to death taking her cage apart from the inside!
I don't think using duct tape anywhere that your bird can chew on it is a good idea. Try subbing the stainless steel wingless locking hex nuts (nyloc) and tighten them with a wrench. Big Box stores all sell them or you can buy them on Amazon.

OP
TulsiBlueVana

TulsiBlueVana

Oct 17, 2023
Media
Parrots
Hi. If your bird is chewing on anything metal, I would rather replace with stainless steel, which you can buy off Amazon.

My African Grey has not long recovered from a year and a half of being ill, with zinc poisoning, that we managed to trace back to the metal that she was chewing on, on her cage bars. (She has been on and off meds all that time, trying to get the zinc out of her body).

The problem with metal is that it is zinc galvanized and if you have a bird that likes to chew on its cage bars or metal, this can be a problem.
Thank you for that information.

OP
TulsiBlueVana

TulsiBlueVana

Oct 17, 2023
Media
Parrots
I use wingnuts to attach toys to my birds cages, too. Buy stainless steel locking nuts (Nyloc) with no wings and tighten them with a wrench. They can be removed with a wrench but are much harder to unscrew than regular hex nuts. I can't tell what you attached to the cage with this screw/washer/wingnut combo. If you are attaching something for the bird to play with while inside the cage, put the nut on the outside of the cage rather than the inside of the cage. Birds definitely like to "screw with" these things! I had a cockatoo Casper in a large cage made of heavy panels held together by screw bolts and wingnuts. The panels were very long and formed a built in stand below. Casper would unscrew all the wingnuts literally taking the entire cage apart in the process. I subbed nuts without wings and she did the same thing- it just took her longer. Finally I wrapped duct tape around the legs of the stand portion to hold the panels together so Casper didn't get crushed to death taking her cage apart from the inside!
I don't think using duct tape anywhere that your bird can chew on it is a good idea. Try subbing the stainless steel wingless locking hex nuts (nyloc) and tighten them with a wrench. Big Box stores all sell them or you can buy them on Amazon.
So the wingnuts in the photo are from a rope I attached to the top outside of her house that she likes to play on when she’s out of her cage. So I put the rope on top and it’s screwed from the inside of the cage with the wing nuts. Good grief that Casper did all that! Wow. I’ll get them replaced. Thank you!

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
So the wingnuts in the photo are from a rope I attached to the top outside of her house that she likes to play on when she’s out of her cage. So I put the rope on top and it’s screwed from the inside of the cage with the wing nuts. Good grief that Casper did all that! Wow. I’ll get them replaced. Thank you!
Parrot's beaks are so strong. When they hyperfocus on doing something it's amazing what they can accomplish with that beak. The lock nuts without wings should solve the problem.

OP
TulsiBlueVana

TulsiBlueVana

Oct 17, 2023
Media
Parrots

Also- I’m really sorry to hear this but glad you were able to trace it back to the metal. That really is important information i never would’ve thought of.

OP
TulsiBlueVana

TulsiBlueVana

Oct 17, 2023
Media
Parrots
Parrot's beaks are so strong. When they hyperfocus on doing something it's amazing what they can accomplish with that beak. The lock nuts without wings should solve the problem.
You are not kidding!!! #hyperfocused - like her human mama 🤦🏻‍♀️🙄😂

Jojo’s mom

Oct 20, 2023
Parrots
Onni umbrella cockatoo

How about zip ties? You can tighten them or keep them loose depending on what they’re holding up. You may have to replace them often, because the bird may cut them with its beak, but, they should work, and they’re not Metal.

OP
TulsiBlueVana

TulsiBlueVana

Oct 17, 2023
Media
Parrots
How about zip ties? You can tighten them or keep them loose depending on what they’re holding up. You may have to replace them often, because the bird may cut them with its beak, but, they should work, and they’re not Metal.
That’s interesting idea 💡 and they’re pretty thick if you get the right kind.

Jojo’s mom

Oct 20, 2023
Parrots
Onni umbrella cockatoo
That’s interesting idea 💡 and they’re pretty thick if you get the right kind.
I use the thick ones and so easy to put on or cut off. Most of the time, the toy hides them so the bird does not get to the ties or bite them off. But if he does, no worries! They’re so inexpensive and easy to replace.

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
I use the thick ones and so easy to put on or cut off. Most of the time, the toy hides them so the bird does not get to the ties or bite them off. But if he does, no worries! They’re so inexpensive and easy to replace.
Thick zip ties, when applied leaving a large loop hanging inside the cage, make excellent bird toys or swings for small birds. My budgies love to sleep way up high inside a large zip tie "loop".

OP
TulsiBlueVana

TulsiBlueVana

Oct 17, 2023
Media
Parrots
Thick zip ties, when applied leaving a large loop hanging inside the cage, make excellent bird toys or swings for small birds. My budgies love to sleep way up high inside a large zip tie "loop".
Omgosh that's a nice idea for a swing

Most Reactions