Winston is all better & Injections....

PickleMeDickles

May 17, 2015
Southern California
Parrots
SassyByrd (DYH Amazon) JoJo (GCC) Betty (GCC) DEARLY LOVED fids lost to “Teflon Disaster� 12/17 RIP Pickles (GC),RIP Winston (Sun), RIP Lady PLEASE TAKE 5 MINUTES &TOSS OUT ALL YOUR TEFLON NOW!
So, for 2 weeks we have been giving poor Winston Baytril injections every day. I have learned a lot. First of all, no matter how much you and your baby are in love, get the bird wrapped lightly with a dish towel or similarly sized towel. Trying to inject a conure in the chest without a towel is like trying to catch a greased pig on a hot humid day.

Once said bird is securely tortilla wrapped and is upside down in one hand you just barely slide the itty bitty 30g needle into his chest muscle. I honestly don't think he ever felt it.

If your bird is a BIG momma's boy, after the wrapping but before the injection allow your bird to hold your finger with his beak. It was like a security blanket for Winston.

I really want to thank everyone for your thoughts and prayers during this difficult time, but I do believe in Karma and it worked this time.

-Jen

Jen5200

Mar 27, 2017
Media
Albums
Washington State
Parrots
Baby - Sun Conure;
Tango - GCC;
Bindi - Sun Conure;
Stanley - Pineapple GCC;
Screamer “Scree� - Cockatiel;
Tee - Pineapple GCC; Jimmy - Cockatiel
I am so glad to hear that Winston is better and that you both survived the medicating process!

BoomBoom

May 2, 2012
Parrots
Boomer (Sun Conure 9 yrs), Pewpew (Budgie 5 yrs), Ulap (Budgie 2 yrs), Eight & Kiki (Beloved Budgies, RIP)
This is no small feat (for me at least). Glad do hear Winston's doing better.

Skittys_Daddy

Jan 6, 2014
Lewiston, Maine
Parrots
Neotropical Pigeon - "Skittles" (born 3/29/10)
Cockatiel - "Peaches" (1995-2015) R.I.P.
Budgie - "Sammy"
(1989-2000) R.I.P.
Budgie - "Sandy"
(1987-1989) R.I.P.
So glad to hear Winston is doing better!!!!

PS, hey there BoomBoom! Long time, no see stranger! How is Boomer doing?

EllenD

Aug 20, 2016
State College, PA
Parrots
Senegal Parrot named "Kane"; Yellow-Sided Green Cheek Conure named "Bowie"; Blue Quaker Parrot named "Lita Ford"; Cockatiel named "Duff"; 8 American/English Budgie Hybrids; Ringneck Dove named "Dylan"
I'm so glad Winston is doing great! And you're correct, if you ever have to give your bird, bearded dragon, etc. injections at home, make sure that the vet gives you pre-loaded syringes, so you don't mess-up the dosage, and make sure they are at the largest 27g, 30g is better...They don't even feel it, I've actually stuck myself with them before to test out how badly it hurts, and to me a 30g needle feels like a mosquito bite.

BoomBoom

May 2, 2012
Parrots
Boomer (Sun Conure 9 yrs), Pewpew (Budgie 5 yrs), Ulap (Budgie 2 yrs), Eight & Kiki (Beloved Budgies, RIP)
@Skitty'sDad, Hello there! Boomer's doing well thanks for asking! 6 1/2 years old now, older and a slightly wiser sun conure. Hope Skittles is doing great. Regards from my Technicolor Chicken to your Neotropical Pigeon!

(Sorry for the derail of the thread, PickleMeDickles :orange: Please give my warm regards to Winston. Sending you both warm thoughts)

Last edited:

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Love to read success stories! Glad Winston is all better!

Frankly, I believe it easier to administer injections as opposed to oral suspensions, either via syringe or mixing with food. Unfortunately I don't believe this is an option for every med.

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 38-year-old Patagonian Conure
Oh, Winston, you dear darling!

I'm so happy for you both...

Know what? I'm not going to complain ANY MORE, not one word, about giving the Rb two weeks of meds in almond butter!!!!!

Skittys_Daddy

Jan 6, 2014
Lewiston, Maine
Parrots
Neotropical Pigeon - "Skittles" (born 3/29/10)
Cockatiel - "Peaches" (1995-2015) R.I.P.
Budgie - "Sammy"
(1989-2000) R.I.P.
Budgie - "Sandy"
(1987-1989) R.I.P.
@BoomBoom Glad to hear that! I had no idea though that Skittles was older than Boomer! Skittles turned 8 in March.

@Pickemedickles Sorry about the mini-hijack, just hadn't seen boomboom around for a while! So VERY VERY glad Winston is doing better! We love our suns, don't we? lol.

Most Reactions

Latest posts