wont eat pellets

Riojewel

Jun 29, 2012
Pittsburgh
Parrots
Rio, sun conure and Jewel, yellow sided green cheek, Greyson CAG
I am trying to get my conures to eat pellets and they pretty much refuse, has anyone tried mixing them with some baby food vegetable or fruit to coat them with some flavor? Is this a good idea?

cdog

Feb 20, 2012
Newbury Park, CA
Parrots
Sully-2 year old cinnamon and Bella-3 year old normal
breeding pair of gcc, Scooter & BeeBee-Sully and Bella's normal son's, Rosey- Bella and Sully's cinnamon daughter, Ella & Sunny-American budgies
Lots of people soak them in a little bit of all natural, sugar free apple juice and their fids seem to love it.

Spiritbird

Banned
Banned
Aug 20, 2009
Media
Suggest you try different pellets. I know some companies will send you samples or you can get them at your vets office. Have you tried Harrisons fine? I never likes mixing them with anything because then the bird will never like them unless served that way. Give usual diet in a bowl and lessen that amt. every day. Put pellets in another bowl every day. Just be patient. It took my bird about 3 weeks but she eats them like a pro now.

Here is a link where you can find the phone numbers of pellet companies:

http://www.birdsnways.com/wisdom/ww26e.htm

Last edited:

dishgal1

May 1, 2012
Texas
Parrots
Forrest -Yellow sided Green Cheek Conure, Nacho- Sun Conure
Try feeding a lot of fresh fruits and veggies. That will help with what they don't get in pellets. A good seed mix for a portion of diet is fine.

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
There's different ways in doing this, I just typed this 2 days ago. You can do mixing of 75% seeds/25% pellets, then in a few days do 50/50, then 75/25. But if they decide to eat the pellets real good, then remove the mix and do 100% pellets. Make sure you do not feed any seed type of treats for awhile. Another way is feed pellets in one bowl 24/7, feed fruits/veggies during the day and feed minimal seeds during evening. Then remove seeds completely if they're eating the other stuffs well. The second method was a super easy process!

Ebella812

May 27, 2012
New Jersey
Parrots
Lucy - Sun/Gold Cap Conure mix - hatched on 2/9/12
my Lucy won't really eat pellets either. We tried mixing it in her current blend of food and she kinda picked out the pellets. I'm still going to try and give it to her eventually. i might try the apple juice with it cuz that seems like a good idea. any other tips would be helpful. I have the TOPS brand pellets.

Spiritbird

Banned
Banned
Aug 20, 2009
Media
When people purchase a baby from a breeder it is so much easier to request the breeder wein to whatever pellet you want to feed the bird. If the baby is weined to seed then it is so much more difficult.

Echo

Dec 7, 2009
USA
Parrots
Green Cheek Conures, Crimson Conures, CAG, Pionus, Budgies, Goffin Cockatoo
You can also soak them in warm water. Then serve them in a mash (soft), so they don't really know they are eating them. Then, you can soak them less and less so that they are harder and harder until you don't soak them at all.

Klaery

Jul 8, 2012
Brisbane, Australia
Parrots
Elroy - Hahns macaw, Ponyo - Sun conure
You can also soak them in warm water. Then serve them in a mash (soft), so they don't really know they are eating them. Then, you can soak them less and less so that they are harder and harder until you don't soak them at all.

This is exactly what I am doing :) my guy is still young and seemed to struggle with the hardness of the pellets I got him (he was weined on pellets but a different brand). He mows into them if they are moistened though!

Most Reactions