wont let me hold?

amazonlvr

Nov 6, 2012
nebraska
Parrots
One Amazon named Ren
Ok so I got a double yellow headed Amazon (Ren) last year he is now 3 years old. I love him to death, and I know he loves me he spends pretty much every wakingwaking moment wanting to be pet by me or fallowing me around or just being near me( he does not like anyone else in my family) but he also regurgitates food for me kind or gross but its a complement right? Anyway he won't let me gold him. I have read the books watched videos and talked to other bird owners nothing worked, even bribes and treats. Is he just a bird that won't ever want to be held or what can I do? Anyone have any ideas please and thank u

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
Welcome to the forum!

You said your Amazon lets you pet him all day long, regurgitates for you, etc, but you can't hold him? You also said he follows you around, so how do you get him back to his cage?

Am I missing something?

Karigan

Jul 3, 2011
British Columbia, Canada
Parrots
Kitoko: Female Senegal Parrot, born 2002
Talia: Female CAG, born 2008
Mateo: Female CAG, born 2008
Basic training. My greys haven't been held their entire lives and a month and a half later I have them stepping up on perches that shrink in size every day. I began with target training and moved up from there, and it's a slow process but when you have a bird that is completely afraid of being held, it's necessary. I'm probably less than a month away from being able to handle them, and they aren't even bonded to me yet. With you connection to your bird, training should be a snap!

OP
A

amazonlvr

Nov 6, 2012
nebraska
Parrots
One Amazon named Ren
To get him back into his cage all I have to do is walk up and tap it with my finger and he goes right in.ill try our suggestion Karigan and see if that works

ConureCrazy

Jun 13, 2012
Media
California
Parrots
Senegal: Oliver ~~
Yellow-Sided GCC's: Bella and Zora ~~
R.I.P Tweeters the Cockatiel<3
Basic training. ....!

Some will get it...and others won't... , but when you said those 2 words, I started cracking up ...UNCONTROLLABLY. :D

Ok, now back to the scheduled program. :)
ROFLMBOLOLOL!!!! I get it! :D:p:D:p

Karigan gave you some great advice. Have you tried target training?

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
Jake YNA 1970,Kia Panama amazon1975, both i removed from nest and left siblings, Forever Home to,Stacie (YN hen),Mickie (RLA male),Blinkie (YNA hen),Kong (Panama hen),Rescue Zons;Nitro,Echo,Rocky,Rub
Yes you can help him to get over his fear of hands. After all that's what it is. He wants to be with you and considers you his mate or at least flock mate (your a friend). Somewhere ,sometime he had a bad experience with hands. Or he might percieve them as "rivals" but that's usually more conure size birds.(Same is true with cell phone,mouse,toothbrush,etc). With a zon it's because of being manhandled or "hands always mean i'm doing/going somewhere i don't want. Either way the cure is the same. Trustworthy ,confident, and most of all a view of the world though your birds eyes. When "stepping up" don't be demanding, but offer with out fear of bites, if he does great ,but if he doesn't don't ask again and act as though he's missing out. Of course pick your battles and ask when your sure he's receptive, when he does step up ,quickly put him back down. Don't let "stepping up" mean "i'm going to pet you" or "i'm going to move you". Stepping up only means stepping up . If he's on the floor and wanting up, quickly put him where he wants to go. Don't try to turn it into a petting session. When you start petting him while outside the cage , remember to only give him short doses of attention. End each interaction with him wanting more of your attention instead of him biting you to say, "I've had enough". He wants to fit in ,but doesn't know if your hands are to be trusted. Work with it and before long you'll be making huge leaps and bounds. Zons just want to have fun and be loved. Good luck.

Last edited:

lene1949

Sep 26, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Parrots
Cory: Short billed Corella -
Echo: Galah -
Max: Alexandrine -
Skye: Yellow Sided conure -
Luka: Green Cheek Conure -
RIP Shrek: Quaker
Birds are not really a species that want to be held.... They don't do so in nature... They use their beak to show affection (regurgitating). They'll sit up close to their mate, but they don't cuddle up like cats and dogs (and humans)...

I must admit that I don't understand why people want a cuddly bird.. If people want cuddles, why don't they just get a cat or a dog? :confused:

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
Jake YNA 1970,Kia Panama amazon1975, both i removed from nest and left siblings, Forever Home to,Stacie (YN hen),Mickie (RLA male),Blinkie (YNA hen),Kong (Panama hen),Rescue Zons;Nitro,Echo,Rocky,Rub
Birds are not really a species that want to be held.... They don't do so in nature... They use their beak to show affection (regurgitating). They'll sit up close to their mate, but they don't cuddle up like cats and dogs (and humans)...

I must admit that I don't understand why people want a cuddly bird.. If people want cuddles, why don't they just get a cat or a dog? :confused:

Because cuddly birds really enjoy cuddling. Ask my zon,,LOL I don't think it starts out that way,but when it ends up that way ,,,, what can you do?? hard to resist.

Last edited:

oled

Jul 10, 2011
South Sweden
Parrots
Ville a double yellow head Amazon
Every afternoon I am sitting with Ville, have him in me knee and play with him with my hand. 1 hour per day and now I can do almost everything with him, a tip maby?

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
Many species of parrots enjoy cuddling, even in the wild! Granted, it's typically not the same kind of cuddling as you could do to a cat and a dog... but they still enjoy physical contact!

B01.jpg

amazonlvr, some birds just aren't big on being handled. Noel never really did care much about being handled by me. Sure, I was great for getting from one spot to another, and he'd always come to me when I asked, but he'd always become edgy after a few minutes and want to go back, unless I kept him busy with kisses! Which, at first, were bites! But that was before I really understood him.

What I'm saying is that some birds are fine with hands off interaction! Being that they are that way doesn't mean you can't get them used to physically interacting with you though! It'll just take time and getting them used to the idea!

Try different food rewards, praise or toys! If he's on the ground, put your hand palm down on the floor and see if your zon is willing to touch/step on your hand that way. It's less confusing/stressful than having to physically step up because he is just moving from one flat surface to another and the difference isn't so great.

OP
A

amazonlvr

Nov 6, 2012
nebraska
Parrots
One Amazon named Ren
Thanks for the advice I'll give it a try and see if I get anywhere

Most Reactions

Latest posts