Wood burning stove; how safe?

Hawkmaid

Aug 9, 2016
North America
Parrots
My very first bird is a Green Cheeked Conure!
Hi guys! It's fall in Ohio, meaning SOMEBODY BRING ME THREE PARKAS AND SOME HOT CHOCOLATE. Dad just fired up the wood burning stove, and it brought us to the thought; how will that affect Cricket? It's all natural wood (literally from my backyard), so no chemicals there. The stove is relatively small and contained; smoke rarely comes out when we open the side door to put more wood in. Right now Cricket's in the farthest corner of the house he can be in, but his home cage is about two yards from the stove. This should keep him cozy in the winter, I think, but also puts him within range of any fumes. What are you guys' thoughts?

Just in case it comes up, he's not free flighted, nor will I be bringing him by the stove without him being contained! So that's NOT my focus. :)

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
There has been several Threads regarding wood burning stoves and fireplaces. Simply use the Search button above to gather additional information.

The danger is rarely what is burnt, but near always the resulting Carbon Monoxide gas. Your home should have several Carbon Monoxide detectors mounted at different levels to provide protection for your family.

Since your home is using it to provide heat, it should be inspected and tested for proper operation at least every other year. This includes the stack to assure there is no buildup. Most all units have a specific /recommended loading /starting procedure that will minimize the loss of smoke and/or Carbon Monoxide.

As these units age, they tend to develop cracks or points of separation and must be inspected, repaired and replaced when these failure points are found.

Your Parrot should be as far from the unit as possible.

Major improvements have come to this type of product and is also one of those rare products that really has a want for as high of quality as you can afford to buy!

Because errors can result in death, only those trained in its operation should ever fill or start the unit.

snowflake311

Jun 7, 2016
Tahoe
Parrots
Sprinkels, Black capped Conure/
Olaf, male, Budgie/
Sweetpea, female, Budgie/
RIP Kiwi, female, Senegal
I keep my bird in a room away from the wood stove. BUT He does spend time with us in the living room with the stove. So far it has been fine. In the home I grew up in We had a wood burning stove and Kiwi my first Parrot lived there with no issues.

I would not worry about it. Celling fans are more dangerous. I worry about when my birds wings feathers grow in. The what if he freaks out and goes to the stove.

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
Make sure you have good carbon monoxide detectors, both in the vicinity of the stove AND in the vicinity of Crickets cage. An air purifier in Crickets area may also be a good idea. And of course, keep the bird away from the fireplace at all times.

Quakerella

Apr 2, 2012
Canada
Parrots
3 quakers, 2 indian ringnecks, 6 lovebirds, 5 cockatiels, 1 budgie, 1 eastern rosella
I live in Northern Ontario where it reached -40. I heat my house with wood. There is a fireplace downstairs and a wood stove upstairs. I agree with all the comments regarding carbon monoxide detectors, for your safety as well as your birds. Not sure what level they are at for detection though. We also only burn natural hardwood so no chemicals to worry about. I haven't had any problems with my birds, but just as you said they are also kept well away from both. I keep a very close eye on them though.

Grenage

Jun 1, 2012
Portsmouth, UK.
Parrots
Aizen: YS-GCC
We've got an open fire, and used it for the first time last weekend; our GCC is in the same room. While the room now smells like a bonfire, the bird was not at all bothered.

I would have no issue with burning normal wood in a burner - not in the least.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
We've got an open fire, and used it for the first time last weekend; our GCC is in the same room. While the room now smells like a bonfire, the bird was not at all bothered.

I would have no issue with burning normal wood in a burner - not in the least.

There should be very little to no 'smell' in the home if the unit /fire place is operating correctly!?!?

Kentuckienne

Supporting Vendor
Oct 9, 2016
Middle of nowhere (kentuckianna)
Parrots
Roommates include Gus, Blue and gold macaw rescue and Coco, secondhand amazon
We use a woodstove for winter heat. Carbon monoxide detectors, well maintained flue, very high vaulted ceilings. It has a soapstone top which is safer than metal. Used to have a cat that liked to jump on top of a fireplace insert woodstove, so I found an old coal grate, cleaned it and changed it around so it covered the top of the stove and had a near vertical plate across the front. It kept kittie from jumping up, but something like that would also protect a bird who landed there accidentally. The heavy grate stays much cooler than the stove and would be safer to birdie feet.

dhraiden

Jul 14, 2015
Queens NY
Parrots
Green Cheek Conure (Mochi)
Gold Capped Conure (Mango)
Interesting thread. I've an un-used fireplace that I'd like to burn some actual logs in for the winter, so this was a good timely topic to come up!

Skittys_Daddy

Jan 6, 2014
Lewiston, Maine
Parrots
Neotropical Pigeon - "Skittles" (born 3/29/10)
Cockatiel - "Peaches" (1995-2015) R.I.P.
Budgie - "Sammy"
(1989-2000) R.I.P.
Budgie - "Sandy"
(1987-1989) R.I.P.
I love the smell of wood stoves! And burning leaves in the autumn! It's autumn here in Maine and there are plenty of leaves to burn! Fall looks so pretty around here too, with all the trees we have.

I live in public housing and they replaced our standard smoke detectors with combo smoke/c-m detectors a while back.

While I don't know much about the stoves and birds affect on them I think having the detectors as well as a well maintained stove are good things to have.

My only concern would be what chemicals enter the environment during the wood burning process. Is it chemically treated wood etc. I would assume if you get your wood from outside, a natural source you'd be okay.

Kentuckienne

Supporting Vendor
Oct 9, 2016
Parrots
I love the smell of wood stoves! And burning leaves in the autumn! It's autumn here in Maine and there are plenty of leaves to burn! Fall looks so pretty around here too, with all the trees we have.

I live in public housing and they replaced our standard smoke detectors with combo smoke/c-m detectors a while back.

While I don't know much about the stoves and birds affect on them I think having the detectors as well as a well maintained stove are good things to have.

My only concern would be what chemicals enter the environment during the wood burning process. Is it chemically treated wood etc. I would assume if you get your wood from outside, a natural source you'd be okay.

HMM... Smoke rises, carbon monoxide sinks. I'd get a separate one if it were my place.

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 40-year-old Patagonian Conure
I'm scared of burning wood, parrot-wise... who knows what's in or on the wood, ya know?

Skittys_Daddy

Jan 6, 2014
Lewiston, Maine
Parrots
Neotropical Pigeon - "Skittles" (born 3/29/10)
Cockatiel - "Peaches" (1995-2015) R.I.P.
Budgie - "Sammy"
(1989-2000) R.I.P.
Budgie - "Sandy"
(1987-1989) R.I.P.
That would be my concern as well.

Truthfully, any scent/odor can be harmful to birds in excess.

Kentuckienne

Supporting Vendor
Oct 9, 2016
Parrots
I would guess the worst thing about burning wood would be small particulates. There shouldn't be too many harmful chemicals - carbon dioxide and water vapor, plus hydrocarbons from incomplete combustion - but there are extremely small particles that could deposit in the airways. I know humans living near biomass/incinerator plants develop more respiratory problems. I don't know if the structure of the avian breathing system would be more susceptible or less .. I think the air is in contact with the bird's insides longer than a human's...but are particles more likely to deposit say, on the walls of an air sac? Is there a biological mechanism to flush these? I'm going to at least get good air filters to keep near the cage and hang-out spots during winter. Never really thought about it before...

Most Reactions