Wooden toys to chew on

BobbyBird

Feb 9, 2024
Parrots
Bobby
Since my parrotlet is a big chewer (with nothing to chew 🤣) maybe I could give him some wood?
my property has plenty of trees, such as apple, oak, pine, and birch maybe I could cut him some small twigs from some of them?
are any of these woods that I have listed safe for him to chew on?

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
A crossover Quaker Scuti (F), A Sun conure named AC, A Cinnamon Green Cheek conure Kent, and 6 budgies, Scuti Jr. (f), yellow (m), clark Jr. (m), Dot (f), Zebra(f), Machine (m).
Most are safe especially if its say from a fruit type tree, but I've read to bake the limbs for a bit at like 200 degrees to kill any possible bugs that burrowed in.

Jcas

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Jan 9, 2023
Parrots
Quaker, 2 budgies
Oak bark isn’t good for birds, apple, pine, birch are ok 👍🏻. I bake at 200 F for at least 15 minutes to kill off any parasites or bacteria in the wood. Cheap easy way to get toys and perches for our feathered friends!

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
When first introducing a bird /Parrot to wood chewing, I like 'really' soft wood as a starter. And, tend to first start with Lumber Yard, bits as the wood has already been dried and heated!

It is not uncommon for your local Big Box Store to have a 'shorts' barrel when someone wants a specific length of door or window molding. Cost can range from zero to half the cost of non-cut piece.

Most Reactions

Latest posts