Woody - Shamrock Macaw

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
This is the bird that almost, accidentally, took my finger off. He was as sweet as they come, but didn't know his own strength. (That was my fault. Bird handling mistake. Protocols are different for non-bite pressure trained macaws, and I did not follow them.) And THAT is why we bite pressure train...

Last edited:
OP
Birdman666

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
This is the "storage unit" bird. He had THE BEST personality, but he was so psychologically damaged, that he was dangerous at times...

If you could combine Woodie's personality with Maggie's tempernment, you would have the ultimate macaw!

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
He looks like a big love bug! :) STUNNING bird!!

Did you need stitches when he bit you? :eek:

And I see he is quite fond of your daughter, too. :D

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
Oh wow, so THAT'S the poor "storage unit" Macaw!! He was really finally getting the love he deserved!!

What hybrid is a Shamrock? Looks like a Military and Greenwing?

Looks very close to the one in the video posted recently by 'freedomandforgiven' of the rare hybrid Camilla Macaw... I read those are Military + Miligold, so B&G in there too.

There are just SO many 'designer' hybrids you can make...

OP
Birdman666

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
Yep I've had two sets of stitches from macaws. One on my left thumb, and one on my right index finger. Woody was my right index finger. I stopped scratching and started to walk away. He just grabbed my finger to keep me from walking away... but didn't know his own strength. Right down to the bone, without even trying!!!

So, yeah, if he tried?! I wouldn't have a finger...

Shamrock is greenwing/military.

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie

With that much strength and bite pressure (and untrained birds out there) it's a wonder we don't hear of more occurrences of people missing fingers from large Macs... :52:

OP
Birdman666

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)

With that much strength and bite pressure (and untrained birds out there) it's a wonder we don't hear of more occurrences of people missing fingers from large Macs... :52:

Well that's the point isn't it...

They're not these aggressive attacky monsters people make them out to be.

The monster birds are created... these are friggin' mushy lap birds!

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
What a beautiful boy Woody is! I love those pics of him with your beautiful daughter:)

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie

Well that's the point isn't it...

They're not these aggressive attacky monsters people make them out to be.

The monster birds are created... these are friggin' mushy lap birds!

Those are the ones I'm talking about... The untrained misbehaved monster birds... Not the ones owned by anyone on THIS forum!! :D

Birdbrain91

Dec 6, 2013
Denver, Colorado
Parrots
Apollo (A bossy YSGCC) Cleo (Sun Conure) Wesley (B&G Macaw)
What a beautiful bird. It's nice to see he had some love and good human interaction with you and your daughter. I still can't believe someone would leave him in a storage unit.

OP
Birdman666

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
What a beautiful bird. It's nice to see he had some love and good human interaction with you and your daughter. I still can't believe someone would leave him in a storage unit.

Those people ruined that bird!

He was a show off, and people oriented, and he loved my daughter to death.

It hurt to let him go, but it was what was best for Woody, and my other birds. He had a happy ending though. As a dominant male big mac, he became the flock leader of a flight of 32 birds, with a female Shamrock as a mate, where humans are not allowed.... He now gets his attention 24/7 from the other big macs. He is where he is supposed to be, I guess...

Tuesday (who got him out of the storage unit and had him first), Sarah, and I were just part of his journey back to happiness.

Last edited:

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
I'm glad he did get a happy ending. Unbelievable that so much of his life was spent shuttered away in a storage unit. Such a beautiful and obviously loving bird, too! The selfishness and callousness of some people is just staggering.

OP
Birdman666

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
I'm glad he did get a happy ending. Unbelievable that so much of his life was spent shuttered away in a storage unit. Such a beautiful and obviously loving bird, too! The selfishness and callousness of some people is just staggering.

That bird actually was one of the smartest macaws I've worked with. (Despite taking my finger down to the bone), he had a heart of gold. He just could not stand to be left alone anymore...

There is a saying, really in all animal rescue work, and these are not anti-social people at all. BUT...

"Sometimes I just hate people."

I said it and heard it when I did wildlife rehab. I said it and I heard it when I did parrot rescue stuff. Because people like you and I just can't imagine some of this stuff...

ADKCatalina

Aug 3, 2014
ADK
Parrots
Catalina Macaw
I missed the 1st part of this story but I am understand that some A-Hole left that beautiful bird in a storage locker....like the kind for all of your unused junk your wife doesn't want around the house anymore?

OP
Birdman666

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
I missed the 1st part of this story but I am understand that some A-Hole left that beautiful bird in a storage locker....like the kind for all of your unused junk your wife doesn't want around the house anymore?

For 32 years... in a cage, in a storage unit. Wanna talk sensory deprivation?!

ADKCatalina

Aug 3, 2014
ADK
Parrots
Catalina Macaw
See this is why I believe their should be a test you have to take before you can reproduce because I believe in my heart that if someone would do this to a animal not matter "how mean" he was supposed to be that there is no end to what they might do. I take it someone must have been feeding and watering him otherwise I suppose he would have died, Was this in Tx? I worked in Houston for DOW and BASF as a pipefitter for several years before my accident and I know that generally there are only 2 seasons in Texas Summer and Hell. So I guess it is a wonder he didn't die of heat if it wasn't climate controlled. Did you give him to a zoo or something of that nature?

thekarens

Sep 29, 2013
There's 3 seasons here in Houston....hot, hotter and OMG!!!

Sometimes Zoe starts panting when we're snuggling in the house with A/C.

OP
Birdman666

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
No. This was NorCal.

And to be perfectly fair, the person who had the bird worked for one of those self serve storage companies...

So, he kept the bird at work, and just got a unit for the bird.

But he STILL spent 32 years in a storage unit... and at 5:00 every day, the door rolled shut, and that was it.

This bird was EXTREMELY attention deprived... so much so, that once he got attention, there wasn't enough attention.

I got bit to the point of injury - for trying to walk away!!! PLEASE DON'T LEAVE ME!!!

OP
Birdman666

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
What a beautiful boy Woody is! I love those pics of him with your beautiful daughter:)

That was one of Sarah's all time babies...

Most Reactions

Latest posts