Words of wisdom for a beginner?

Keitii

Jun 20, 2009
Hi there! I joined this is hopes of meeting some experienced bird people that would be able to help me on my journey to parrot ownership :) I've been thinking about getting a parrot for awhile. And have been researching day and night for the past year getting as well informed as I possibly can. I swear I've read EVERY article about parrot care that's out there!!! But, here's my problem. I can't seem to decide which type of parrot I want! I'm partial to Senegals, but I'm wondering if people who already own them could offer up some advice, are they good for first time bird owners? What are some problems in training, care, or anything else that you've come across? And, if you happen to live in the Lower Mainland, would you know the best place to purchase one? I wouldn't want to go through all this work just to end up with a bird that's less than the best! Thanks!

Jez

May 19, 2009
NY
Welcome!
You'll find all the help you need. There's a few Senegal owners here.

Auggie's Dad

Administrator
Dec 28, 2007
Media
Albums
South Hadley MA
Parrots
Auggie: Dusky Conure
Any healthy bird can be trained to be what you want. But even the "best" bird would need to be raised well or it WILL give you troubles. In fact even with the "best" bird and the "best" training you are still going to hit obstacles. Your bird will bite you, your bird will make a mess, you bird will scream when you don't want them to.

Senegals are pretty good for first time owners. But if you are looking for a perfect bird you will not find it regardless of how much preparation you do before hand. Birds are individuals with their own personalities and their own quirks. Owning a bird is a process of compromise between you training them and you adapting to suit their needs.

A year of preparation? It is good to be prepared, but there is such a thing as overdoing it. You can only get so much out of reading. If you are looking for a "perfect bird" then I think your expectations are unrealistic and you nor your bird will every be happy - so don't get one. If you are looking to share your life with another animal through whatever challenges may come then, as nike says "Just do it."

ltlcutethng

Jun 23, 2009
Pennsylvania
Parrots
Cockatoo
Hi Everyone i am new too this site.I am looking for someone to help me with my cockatoo he screams very loud alot.He is very friendly i am his 3rd owner he is about 7 yrs old.

JB Goode

Apr 6, 2009
Cockatoos are one of the loudest parrots around. They screech, sometimes yell loudly or scream. It's almost impossible to teach a cockatoo to become quieter. If you have your cockatoo on your shoulder all day long, it will be quieter but as soon as he/she is left alone, the noise starts.

Most Reactions

Latest posts