Working with a aggressive-history macaw. Help!

sarah12

Oct 3, 2012
Hello everyone, I hope it is okay I have posted this message to a couple of forums to get as many replies as possible, as I am quite nervous.
I am new to working with macaws (I have been around the individual birds for a long while, but not done much with them) but I have just began a job where I am going to care for, train, and eventually work blue and gold macaws in a show.

One of these macaws has an aggressive history. He has been known to lunge at bars, open his wings and tell you "screw off", and has bitten several people - often when asked to step up onto the hand, or during interactions. There are some particular enclosures he moves between, and certain ones cause him to do this more than others. He has also been known to bond well with individuals, and become aggressive to everyone else.

I don't mind the wing-open - I like a good warning! When he does this, I just calmly walk away. However the lunging concerns me. Yesterday, I interacted with him for the first time in a while. He was doing what I describe as "acting coy"; where he seems to flirt with you. He will lower his head, sway slightly, move around, looking at you, sidle over, and almost seem to wiggle a little in excitement. I completely thought these were good, happy signs, and was comfortable.
I fed him a seed through the bar; he took it calmly. A few seconds later I tried to give him a second - and he lunged at me. This really concerned me, because although we obviously don't want bribery, I have always been told "once he sees you have food, he will be fine".
Later on in the day I wanted to build my confidence by giving him something bigger, and as it was later on in the day, I was hoping his mood would have improved. I passed him some leaves on a branch through the bars (they have previously enjoyed looking/lightly nibbling these) and he received it happily. I went to do the same with a second one, and he lunged.
I ensure he gets no reaction when he lunges. Then, after a few moments, I move on.

I should also mention - yesterday, after feeding through the bars similarly, I went in the enclosure and handed him some fruit with my bare little fingers and he was good as gold.

So this is what concerns me: wing opening; you expect lunging, and he often does. But when he seems to be happy with you, and then unexpectedly lunging?
It has made me very nervous now, because soon I am expected to handle him and train him, and I keep thinking of that large, sharp beak, and feeding him tiny bits of seed with my little fingers, and him not displaying any warnings like he seemed not to through the bars, and then going for it.

So if anyone could give me some advice I would really appreciate it. What should I avoid doing that may prompt him to act aggressively, and what can I do to begin building a bond and persuade him to like me.
Also, any of the more subtle warning signs of macaws being in a bad mood, vs good mood. Being fluffed up and calm vs holding his wings up speaks for himself.

Thank you so much for anyone that can give me any advice.
Some don't-be-scared-he-can't-kill-you reassurance would be appreciated also

Last edited:

friedsoup

May 5, 2012
North Carolina
Parrots
Senegal Male Bogart
Hehe well they don't call them feathered serpents for nothing. You said your getting reacquainted so it sounds like he's testing you by the lunge it's a bullies tactic (like a school yard bully raising his hand to hit you then running his fingers thru his hair and looking at you for flinching) keep steady and scold him for a lunge and heres the hard part when he does that stop what you were doing and make him come to you and do a few seconds of step-up commands with a lot of praise for doing it and treats too and head scratches. He will soon get the message that lunges at you get him not the attention he wanted but unscheduled training. Oh and I know that beak is big and it can do some real damage but they mostly pinch with it and give you a big bruise it's the little ones that bite to defend and draw blood, just check the point if its too sharp get your wings & nail guy to do a" beak bob" just to take the point of that can opener away. Once they know that you won't put up with their nonsense they (like most bullies) get in line,but if he buffalo's you and knows it it will be an uphill climb for training.

MaraWentz

Banned
Banned
Mar 27, 2012
Media
St.Leonard, MD
Parrots
Red Front Macaw, Elvis, 10,male RIP

Red Front Macaw, Erin, 1.5,female

Goffin Cockatoo, Blossom 2,female Rehomed

Blue & Gold Macaw, Oscar, Male, 21 years old, Rehomed

American Bulldog Mix,
Best Advice- be patient and give it time to get comfortable and settle in. Get to know it first and let it get to know you before starting training, and when you train, train. Don't give options, because, well, then you aren't training and are just teaching it that it doesn't have to listen lol. Good luck!

OP
S

sarah12

Oct 3, 2012
Thank you everyone!

MaraWentz - just to clarify, he has lived here for many years now. However, he has changed around what in enclosure he is in, but the one he is in currently is the one he has spent the most time in, and it has been months now.
How can I get to know him without the lunging?

friedsoup - thank you, it is a relief to know it is more likely to be a small bruise or pinch! The lunges are fast and the beak is so large, it is the anticipation that really gets me.
Is it ok to give head scratches, or do I need to build the bond before that? Working in a zoo we are not really in a place to offer any kind of positive punishment, even scolding - is ignoring him and then either leaving, or trying to rewarding him for something else, adequate?

I always thought that he loved being chatted to and verbally praised, but several of the lunges he gave me were while I was doing just that, so it put me on edge because it wasn't when I expected it.

Last edited:

MaraWentz

Banned
Banned
Mar 27, 2012
Media
St.Leonard, MD
Parrots
Red Front Macaw, Elvis, 10,male RIP

Red Front Macaw, Erin, 1.5,female

Goffin Cockatoo, Blossom 2,female Rehomed

Blue & Gold Macaw, Oscar, Male, 21 years old, Rehomed

American Bulldog Mix,
I say take him out of the enclosure of you can because that seems to be the problem. But to get to know him, first find out his favourite food. That's one important thing to know, because eventually if you keep giving it to him, he will look for it from you, esp. if you withhold it from his meals, and keep it as a treat, and eventually instead of putting it in a bowl put in different spots of the cage, therefore you are nonchalantly teaching him to come to certain spots you ask him to, and eventually, he will go to the spot without you having to leave and then offer it from hand once he gets used to it. And that is essentially trainnig him to come to you and trust you. You become treat keeper and then things get a lot more easier.

friedsoup

May 5, 2012
North Carolina
Parrots
Senegal Male Bogart
Well the words positive punishment is strange wording the scolding I mean is simple "no thats not nice" and then walking away it might not register right away but it will when he learns that he has disappointed you (which you show in tone and actions) and he won't want to do that because it means less time with you. Training time with you should be fun and treat filled so the bird is shifting from foot to foot waiting at the door for you head bobbing dancing and trying to get your attention.

JJones1719

Mar 9, 2011
Media
MD
Parrots
7 Year old SI Eclectus named Guapo, I have a 6 year old GW Macaw named Neleno
Sarah,
There are many issues here that you and this B&G must overcome.
1st, you cannot show fear. Macaws read our body language very well and know when you are afraid so never show this side, even if you are scared out of your mind.
2nd, There are many signs a Macaw gives us to let us know to back off of allow more space.
They are, Lowering of the body, wings slightly open, feather fluff up, eyes change in size, these are all warning signs however,
3rd, don't give in and walk away rather, stand your ground and let them know that you are the alfo in your relationship.

You must bond with this Macaw first before handling them. This means, share your food with them, play with their toys with them, clean their cage, watch T.V, listen to the radio, these are all bonding actions and the Macaw will see you as their flock and bond with you. The bad news here is, bonding with the Macaw can take days, weeks, months, and even years.

If this Macaw is truely aggressive, this Macaw should not in a show open to the Public where they could get loose from you and harm a perosn or child.
My Neleno is a true sweetheart with me and I would never consider him to be in a show or around small children and I know how to handle him. I would rethink this issue if I were you.

How to handle the Macaw can sometimes be pretty easy once the bond is formed, you simply press your forearm into the lower part of the Macaw's belly and ask them to step up or step down. Always carry almonds as treats once they perform this action.

I hope the best for both of you. Thanks Joe

Most Reactions