Wormy food help

kuttnup250

Sep 16, 2012
Parrots
Bf amazon
Well I rescued my baby 3 months ago and the old owner gave me his Harrison's food that was kept in the hot well house they didn't refridgerate and didn't tell us to! We have been feeding it to him and just figured out its wormy!! We threw it out and ordered more!! Did it hurt him that we fed him that all that time we also fed him fresh fruits and veggies N vitamins recommended by vet...

Thingamagigs

Oct 13, 2012
Brisbane, QLD, Australia
Parrots
Mana the manic female galah; yet to be named male corella
Wormy?
Do you mean it had larvae in it? Depends on the larvae I guess... if they are worms, as in it carried bird worms... then your bird would have worms. If its just fly or moth larvae then probably not :p Even parrots eat bugs in the wild. The issue would be if the food is moldy or full of bacteria. Keep an eye on him and probably take him to an avian vet for some swabs to see if he has any fungal or bacterial infections from eating possibly contaminated food. I keep all my pellet and seed food in the cupboard in air tight containers.

OP
kuttnup250

kuttnup250

Sep 16, 2012
Parrots
Bf amazon
It was the larve that produce little moths...I feel so bad I always thought it was odd that there would b a little moth or two in the bag because the bag was air tight... From now on I will keep food in frige and freezer!

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
Pantry moth larvae. Your baby should be fine. Believe it or not, my Amazons enjoy the occasional bug. :eek: I feed mealworms to local Eastern Bluebirds, and on rare occasions I give a couple to my zons. ;)

OP
kuttnup250

kuttnup250

Sep 16, 2012
Parrots
Bf amazon
Oh good!! Thank u so much guys! Nice to have a piece of mind!

Most Reactions

Latest posts