Worried about my cockatoos health

OP
emyoung858

emyoung858

Mar 2, 2017
Omg that is so funny, thankfully bird poo doesn't gross me out, speaking of which that is what I will be doing after work today, the vet needs a stool sample so I'll staring at her poo all day!! [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
They also said she has arthritis (she's an older bird somewhere in her 30s - 40s) but that's all I know so far. They haven't called me back with the other test results yet which will tell us if she needs to get on antibiotics.

Take a long look at her perches and where she perches. With the likelihood of Arthritis, she should be on 3" (75 mm) natural branch perches or larger.

Take a look in the Amazon Forum, at the top of the Forum at the Sticky Threads: I Love Amazons - ... In that Thread is a Segment name: Getting to the Foot of the Problem. After reading that Segment, a Post or two later is a famous PF MAC standing on a perch. Note the near equal pressure on the bottom pads of the claw. With a Parrot that has Arthritis, the goal is to open that stance up a bit more. This is all targeted at allow the Parrot to sway a bit more and reduces the need to tightly hold the perch.

Thank-you, for caring for this wonderful Too!

Here is a photo of her current perch, I'm not sure of the size, I bought it from her previous owners View attachment 18429FullSizeRender.jpg

Looks like she is on a 2 or 2.5" (50 - 65 mm) perch, consider moving to a 3 to 3.5" (75 - 90 mm) perch.

OP
emyoung858

emyoung858

Mar 2, 2017
Take a long look at her perches and where she perches. With the likelihood of Arthritis, she should be on 3" (75 mm) natural branch perches or larger.

Take a look in the Amazon Forum, at the top of the Forum at the Sticky Threads: I Love Amazons - ... In that Thread is a Segment name: Getting to the Foot of the Problem. After reading that Segment, a Post or two later is a famous PF MAC standing on a perch. Note the near equal pressure on the bottom pads of the claw. With a Parrot that has Arthritis, the goal is to open that stance up a bit more. This is all targeted at allow the Parrot to sway a bit more and reduces the need to tightly hold the perch.

Thank-you, for caring for this wonderful Too!

Here is a photo of her current perch, I'm not sure of the size, I bought it from her previous owners View attachment 18429FullSizeRender.jpg

Looks like she is on a 2 or 2.5" (50 - 65 mm) perch, consider moving to a 3 to 3.5" (75 - 90 mm) perch.

Ok will do thanks for the advice, should i get her more toys and things to lean on? Could this be a symptom of her arthritis?

Most Reactions

Latest posts